Epic refresh in '23 or '24

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

serayllon

by serayllon

Snabb wrote:Epic refresh is coming in 2024, brain will be removed for good. Shock will be siilar to the epic WC shock. Other than that no major changes. Should be in stores in march.... :beerchug:
Any news about Epic EVO?

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Snabb

by Snabb

serayllon wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:35 pm
Snabb wrote:Epic refresh is coming in 2024, brain will be removed for good. Shock will be siilar to the epic WC shock. Other than that no major changes. Should be in stores in march.... :beerchug:
Any news about Epic EVO?

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
No not yet, I will look into it the next couple of weeks. I have the standard epic and looking to upgrade to the EVO or the new standard epic... Do you have the EVO ?
Ride lots!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

Snabb wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:48 am
Epic refresh is coming in 2024, brain will be removed for good. Shock will be siilar to the epic WC shock. Other than that no major changes. Should be in stores in march.... :beerchug:
Still an epic and epic Evo? Or just the one bike since the new Softail bike takes the standard epics place?

js

by js

I did my best to watch for 'brains' during the World Champs last week. I didn't see a single Spec-sponsored rider on the standard Epic. It was either the new Epic WC or the Epic Evo.

So it seems that for the rear end at least, all brains have vanished. Given at least a few of the Epic Evo's out there had RS Flight Attendant installed, it seems certian the brains are a thing of the past.

I'll be curious to see how much the XC Flight Attendant adds for weight though. If it's 200g or so, that gives a rather stinging report on what Specialized racers really thought of the Epic w brain.

HHH

by HHH

Snabb wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:48 am
Epic refresh is coming in 2024, brain will be removed for good. Shock will be siilar to the epic WC shock. Other than that no major changes. Should be in stores in march.... :beerchug:
Another guy in another forum,says the opposite to you.
A new Epic Brain(mechanical) is around the corner.
For that reason,he cancelled his SW EPIC WC order.(the last Brain has a really good performance and reliability)
What do you know about the travel suspension?
100/100?...front and rear...
110/100 like the last EPIC Brain LTD?(new SiD Brain fork with 110)
Or...120/120?

Flight Attendant?...in which model?
EVO increases its travel to more trail bike...130?

js

by js

Sina Frei's Evo w Flight Attendant - https://bikerumor.com/sina-frei-special ... attendant/

I believe Koretzky had Flight Attendant on his Epic Evo too, but can't find any clear photos from the side to confirm.

PieMel

by PieMel

So, any feedback on riding the new Epic World Cup?

ccie6872

by ccie6872

PieMel wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:33 pm
So, any feedback on riding the new Epic World Cup?
I have about 10 rides on mine coming off a EVO and n-2 Epic. One caveat is I am mainly a roadie to occasionally likes the flowy type trails and I feel the Epic WC is a very good ride. I have PR'd every segment on the WC w/o really trying compared to my EVO / n-2 Epic. I have landed mainly on the stiffest (no gulp) setting and I really like how it climbs. Its the first XC bike that I can get out of the saddle and really feel how snappy it is. I will also say it is not the smoothest ride, there are times I do feel the bike is a bit rough (even with half gulp) but I don't think it was designed to be the smoothest out there.

If you are looking for a flat out fast bike for flowy trails with some chop this is a really really good ride. I am very interested to see if the EVO goes down the fight attendant route. I do wish the front forks fully lock though..

PieMel

by PieMel

I currently own the S-Works Epic 2021, would you rate it suspension wise equal or better? I'm affraid the new Epic World Cup is like the Supercaliber too much of a 'niche' bike with limited application range, leaning more closely towards a hardtail than a full suspension bike. Would you buy it again?

The S-Works Epic Evo is quite the opposite. Initially released as a down country trail bike, later claimed by their Factory Racing team adding triple mode shocks & lockouts and now Flight Attendant. Not sure if Flight Attendant would allow to select operation modes like 'XC' or 'Trail', but I can see the benefits.

The Epic Evo allows to upgrade fork/shocks (I am really curious about the Evo with the latest SIDLuxe Ultimate fork and shock), while proprietary shocks like the Brain / SIDLuxe WCID offer little to no possibilities.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Epic Evo fits standard 190x40mm shocks.
But the rear linkage has really low progression (under 10%.
That badly limit the shock options that pair well with it.

For example:
Specialized RX-tuned Fox DPS (the one shipped with the bike) use low volume air can and still have volume spacers inside.
Regular aftermarket Fox DPS may look similar. But it has Evol air can (more volume). Even stuffing it full of volume spacers, it still bottom out easily on not so big trail feature.

RockShox Sidluxe with tiny air volume works well with it too. But any more trail focused shock likely have too much air volume for the low progression linkage of Epic Evo.

An update to use 190x45 shock and having 20-35% progression would be welcome to improve compatibility with standard shocks (not custom tune specially for Epic Evo).

cerro

by cerro

PieMel wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:49 am
I currently own the S-Works Epic 2021, would you rate it suspension wise equal or better? I'm affraid the new Epic World Cup is like the Supercaliber too much of a 'niche' bike with limited application range, leaning more closely towards a hardtail than a full suspension bike. Would you buy it again?

The S-Works Epic Evo is quite the opposite. Initially released as a down country trail bike, later claimed by their Factory Racing team adding triple mode shocks & lockouts and now Flight Attendant. Not sure if Flight Attendant would allow to select operation modes like 'XC' or 'Trail', but I can see the benefits.

The Epic Evo allows to upgrade fork/shocks (I am really curious about the Evo with the latest SIDLuxe Ultimate fork and shock), while proprietary shocks like the Brain / SIDLuxe WCID offer little to no possibilities.
Have had an S-Works Epic Evo when it arrived, had an S-Works epic until April this year and now on an Epic WC Pro. The fork is better, more plush when open compared to the regular Epic. The rear feels more like an hardtail but always lands smooth and it makes my back work for a complete Marathon race instead of just half one ;)

Would definitely buy the WC over the regular as it feels like you can send it more and just go full gas without having a rear damper that opens and closes. The Evo is best on the rough stuff when you don't want a trailbike as I don't want to have to change the settings on my dampers while riding, just wants them to work good.

With the Evo I would recommend a 3-position rear damper to everyone. It feels too open in the open setting on an SIDLuxe Ultimate and too closed for gravel, easy trails in the locked setting I think. Ridden a Epic Evo Pro with Fox and nice with a middle setting too.

m3bas

by m3bas

Interested to see the new version of the Evo when out with electronic suspension. Friend has the Anthem with Fox but you can't change on the fly, need to set up pre ride which seems a miss.
I have the SWorks epic non WC, don't mind the brain in the rear. Best thing I ever did was change to the 120mm SID Ultimate (exact same weight as 100mm brain fork). Brain always felt way too harsh in the front.

js

by js

What I found interesting in Les Gets was that the majority of Specialized riders seemed to opt for the Epic Evo w Flight Attendant vs the Epic WC.

When a few racers from other teams were choosing hardtails, I would have thought the WC would be a great match to the course in Les Gets. It makes me wonder if either the Flight Attendant set-up is that big an improvement, as the WC that Stigger rode was without FA, so presumably the Evo is the only option if you want electronic suspension control.

HHH

by HHH

Adrien Boicis won U23 Les Gets WC race last weekend.
With an SW EPIC WC with remote lockout(Scott twinloc)...on his SID no Brain.
IMG_20230915_023211.jpg
Last edited by HHH on Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

js

by js

I'm not surprised with riders moving away from the Brain system. Looks like Stigger also had a remote on her fork.

I'm also guessing that the no-sag set-up of the WC may not play well with Flight Attendant.