Epic refresh in '23 or '24

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

qwertzuiop

by qwertzuiop

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:20 pm
Anything stopping one from buying the Epic 8 EVO Pro Frameset, flipping the chip, and installing a 120mm travel fork to make it a normal Epic?

Just thinking, I don't care much for the S-Works frameset (especially without FA), but would be interested in building up a standard frame with FA.
That's what I'm about to do. I'll even install a Fox 32 SC until FA shock for the Epic 8 becomes comercially available. Bonus points for not having to deal with through headset routing

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:20 pm
Anything stopping one from buying the Epic 8 EVO Pro Frameset, flipping the chip, and installing a 120mm travel fork to make it a normal Epic?

Just thinking, I don't care much for the S-Works frameset (especially without FA), but would be interested in building up a standard frame with FA.
No particularly big thing.
It's just that stock shock is a bigger volume Fox which weight more and doesn't have remote lockout.

If you need remote lockout. Ohlins TXC2Air 190x45 is an interesting one to look at.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zmjones

by zmjones

hannawald wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:06 pm
Is FA really handy for WC? It has only 2 lockout positions and is supposed to be very efficient so you don't need to work with lock that much...if they say it brings 2 percent advantage (funny marketing) to 120mm 3P bike, what would be the advantage for 2P position 75mm travel bike which basically doesn't know something like open mode?
kgcx wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 pm
Yeah, I am glad I cancelled my S-Works frame order when I realized FA wasn't coming with it. I feel like I am not missing out on much, I already prefer my Evo in the high setting for my local trails since they aren't over technical. Swat would be nice, but isn't worth the upgrade itself and the old Evo is at least the same weight if not lighter.

Ordered Flight Attendant the second it was launched on the website for my now previous gen Evo, ship date is late May according to my dealer.

I heard they are working on FA for the World Cup, which would be interesting.
i feel like the real obvious application of fa is to trail bikes which have actual pedal bob when open. i have an epic evo and don't ever both to lock it out

RaffiCA

by RaffiCA

Plus if you producing serious watts when climbing and every secound matters and you don't want to mess with pushing any levers.
I'm convinced that this could be the future of MTBiking but not convinced about the cost / benefit proposition for amateur sportist like myself.

freepk

by freepk

HHH

by HHH

freepk wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:26 am
Post please the bike complete and custom build!!!

freepk

by freepk

@HHH, sure, but i can build it only in the middle of May.
Nothing special, just SRAM Transmission and PiRope wheelset )

freepk

by freepk

Frame weight in different colors, size M, w/o SWAT cover, UDH, axle.

stoney

by stoney

Fancy paint weighs more.