Epic refresh in '23 or '24

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ccie6872

by ccie6872

Any rumors or expectations of a new Epic in '23 or should we expect a refresh in '24?

xcl

by xcl

One of my local reps told me a refresh for the Epic lineup is coming for the 24 model year. Essentially the Epic Evo will go even further into the trail category and the Epic will get some sort of Supercaliber esque suspension design.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ccie6872

by ccie6872

xcl wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:20 am
One of my local reps told me a refresh for the Epic lineup is coming for the 24 model year. Essentially the Epic Evo will go even further into the trail category and the Epic will get some sort of Supercaliber esque suspension design.
Thank you... does 24 model year means being released in 2024 or being released in 2023 but labeled at '24?

Karvalo

by Karvalo

xcl wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:20 am
That would be a surprise. More manufacturers are moving towards slightly longer travel Evo like bikes as THE XC bike in their range and I haven't seen any wanting to go shorter. The Supercaliber is a real outlier in current design trends.

RockC

by RockC

The rumer regarding the Supercaliber-esque suspension design is true. In 2024, we will see a new 60-80mm travel bike replace the Epic HT (not the standard Epic) with a similar suspension design to the Supercaliber. They have yet to leak the name of this platform but it will have some sort of abbreviation following Epic (similar to HT) to differentiate it form the flagship, longer travel bike (see below). Expect the Epic HT to be discotinued.

We will also see the Epic move more in lines of the Epic Evo in terms of travel but not a full redesign of geo/platform (if it aint broke, don't fix it). I have confirmation that the flagship race bike will feature 120mm of front travel, but I was unable to get my insider to divulge weather or not the Brain system would be present. I'm guessing on this last part, but I expect the Brain to be present given the improved success on the newest version of the Epic.

I don't know what they'll do with the Evo? Perhaps no brain, 130mm of travel? Time will tell there.

ccie6872

by ccie6872

RockC wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:22 pm
The rumer regarding the Supercaliber-esque suspension design is true. In 2024, we will see a new 60-80mm travel bike replace the Epic HT (not the standard Epic) with a similar suspension design to the Supercaliber. They have yet to leak the name of this platform but it will have some sort of abbreviation following Epic (similar to HT) to differentiate it form the flagship, longer travel bike (see below). Expect the Epic HT to be discotinued.

We will also see the Epic move more in lines of the Epic Evo in terms of travel but not a full redesign of geo/platform (if it aint broke, don't fix it). I have confirmation that the flagship race bike will feature 120mm of front travel, but I was unable to get my insider to divulge weather or not the Brain system would be present. I'm guessing on this last part, but I expect the Brain to be present given the improved success on the newest version of the Epic.

I don't know what they'll do with the Evo? Perhaps no brain, 130mm of travel? Time will tell there.
super interesting... All of this sounds like is happening in 2024 and safe to buy an Epic now and get a 1 year + before refreshing?

RockC

by RockC

ccie6872 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:42 pm
RockC wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:22 pm

super interesting... All of this sounds like is happening in 2024 and safe to buy an Epic now and get a 1 year + before refreshing?
I expect Specialized to unveil the 60-80mm 'Supercaliber-esque' bike in the first half of 2023. I wouldn't expect a refresh on the flagship Epic bike until the back half of the year but I may be wrong. If you wanted to "future proof" your purchase, I'd probably look to pick up the current Epic EVO. The next version of the Epic will be similar (unclear of whether it will be Brain equipped however or just lock-outs, which the current Evo doesn't offer)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

(speculation/ wish post)
The Rear Future Shock cartridge found on 2023 Specialized Diverge (30mm seat tube travel) seems to be a good fit for Specialized Epic HT replacement bike.
But unlike Diverge which use that cartridge to suspend seat tube only, the Epic HT replacement could use it for the entire rear end of the bike.
That cartridge only contain damper parts, no air spring. The spring to return things into proper position after each bump come from carbon flex. So, spring in the frame (flex stay, leaf spring linkage etc.) and damper in the cartridge inside the top tube. Damper still can be tuned like usual. Spring rate can be fine tuned beyond what is already built into the frame by changing leaf spring at the linkage.

Yoln

by Yoln

As far as timing, the new '23 Epic and Epic Evo paint scheme (no logo on down tube, only a small S-works or Specialized on the top tube) have been released a month ago, and November/December has been the release month for epics in the past, so I would plan for a release of the '24 around xmas 2023
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

js

by js

Apparently we won't need to wait long to see more of it - likely at the early season races if the team already has versions this finished.

https://en.brujulabike.com/specialized-epic-2023-en/

ccie6872

by ccie6872

Thank you for sharing.. Damn, best to wait on pulling the trigger on current Epic.

stoney

by stoney

That's one clean looking cockpit. Love it!

jadedaid

by jadedaid

Are those new Recons as well?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yey another mtb with integrated cables, thank you for caring about the mechanics who have te replace headset bearings after a wet and muddy season.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rhender

by rhender

And then you'll stick a number on the front and completely destroy any aero improvments from the integration lol