Looking for affordable headset

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

26inch4life

by 26inch4life

im looking for recommendations for a relatively low cost threadless 1 1/8 external Upper/Lower headset for my MTB. what do you suggest. I dont want to spend the 150+ for extra light or chris king. Preferrably under $50.

snaxez

by snaxez

I got CaneCreek Forty for my MTB, Seems a lot better, than what I had before, and does not cost a fortune.
https://canecreek.com/product/forty/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

26inch4life

by 26inch4life

Thanks for the quick reply. My LBS had one in stock and I just picked it up. Will provide an update after i install it. It is SO much nicer than the non sealed bearing one on my bike now.

26inch4life

by 26inch4life

snaxez wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:59 pm
I got CaneCreek Forty for my MTB, Seems a lot better, than what I had before, and does not cost a fortune.
https://canecreek.com/product/forty/
Snaxez, I installed the headset. OMG its a night and day difference. Everything from the installation of the headset, installing the fork, and the smoothness of it is incredible to say the least. I struggled to install my new fork before with the old non sealed headset. And the compression ring never sat right after reinstalling the fork. The compression ring on the CaneCreek just set right in the first time. And there is 0 play in the fork now as well. I also love the how sealed both the top and bottom are now. The rubber seal on the crown race is a real nice touch. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

froze

by froze

The decision was made I see; but maybe someone else might find one of these might suit their needs better. I might have taken a second gander at FSA The Pig for under $35, it has oversize bearing to take big landings if you're into that sort of thing; or the Cane Creek 40 which is around $65.