Thinking about getting into very light MTB. No idea where to begin

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cheapvega

by cheapvega

There is a local facility near me that has a course and rents bikes out so I'm going to go there first to see if I even like it

If so I know I will prob start with a hardtail but I know nothing about good brands, systems etc. Been watching videos and reading but still kind of confused. My main goal with MTB is to get back to just riding for fun as road biking is very serious business.

Of course this being a WW forum I am curious about what a reasonable weight is for an MTB, say on a budget of $1000. I'm not squeamish about Chinese stuff so I'd have no problem with another AE build.

req110

by req110

Budget 1000 usd for Mtb...

Expect 15kg hardtail bike with lowest spec kit, supermarket level bike which is going to demotivate you from mountain biking very quickly.

I think acceptable hardtail bike is for example scalpel HT or trek procaliber.

With prices around 2500 usd and up. That would still be a low spec hardtail bike with weight 11 kg, but at least acceptable fork and carbon frame.

Good weight for hardtail bike is below 8.5kg and under 10kg for full suspension.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greatstewie

by greatstewie

chinese build :)

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

1000 bucks?

Honestly, I don't think lightweight is included in that vocabulary among $1000.

Just a good set of tires will set you back at least 100 Euro.

Going to an LBS, the cheapest low-end bikes with the most basic stuff is starting around $800, hence in this range weight is the least important factor and more about making it possible to put a bike together which is rideable for most beginners/entry level :)

Not trying to be mean or harsh, I worked for some in a bikeshop and sadly this price range is very common but in reality you don't get much for the money

Hexsense

by Hexsense

You can't get good bike at that price.

A good suspension fork cost $400 - $1000, assume you found a super deal at $200 then.
A decent wheel cost at least $150 a set (usual price $400). Then assume a super cheap set of mtb tires at $20 each (usually, they are $36-80 each)
Let say, stem $20, bar $30, Grip $10,
And you are left with $550 for the whole frame + hydraulic brakes + {crank, chain cassette, shifter and rear derailleur} +and possibly rear shock if you go for full suspension, (which you wouldn't).

Brands to consider for budget build
fork: SR Suntour have many cheap forks. Some are good. The problem is, they have so many forks that the line up is confusing and hard to select which one to buy.
Tires: American classic
Stem: Kalloy Uno
Bar: Protaper. You can get carbon bar at $43 from a reputable brand under Hayes.
https://hayesbicycle.com/products/prota ... lebar-720w
Groupset: Shimano Deore, Microshift
Brakes: Shimano Deore, TRP
Last edited by Hexsense on Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

I bought a 2yr old used BLINGED OUT mtb. Cost: $5500. I don't think yer gettin much in the weight weenie realm for $1000.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Wow, a set of fully adjustable forks for my motorcycle was cheaper than $400 including a rebuild. I'm going to rent a bike at at local trail to see if I even like it.

Is carbon a must for MTB frames? From what I've seen more expensive frames are alloy. Metal seems more logical given the potential for impacts as well.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

cheapvega wrote:Wow, a set of fully adjustable forks for my motorcycle was cheaper than $400 including a rebuild. I'm going to rent a bike at at local trail to see if I even like it.

Is carbon a must for MTB frames? From what I've seen more expensive frames are alloy. Metal seems more logical given the potential for impacts as well.
No, it’s not necessary. But the more expensive frames, unless you’re talking about bespoke/small batch/custom, are usually carbon fiber. If a company makes an aluminum and carbon versions of the same frame, the carbon frame is always more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

cheapvega wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:26 pm
Wow, a set of fully adjustable forks for my motorcycle was cheaper than $400 including a rebuild.
And they're probably pretty shit compared to a pro class race fork. Which is what you are comparing to with $1000+ MTB forks.
You can get yourself a fork for $89. If you want. (e.g. Ohlins RXF 48S is around €3500 and doesn't seem to include anything other than legs...)
cheapvega wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:26 pm
Lightweight metal is (if anything) more fragile at similar weights to carbon. Quite easy to provide protection if you're really going to be going for it, or buy a more suitable bike, with a more robust frame.

greatstewie

by greatstewie

any light mtb carbon frames not expensive?

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Go got a second hand Scott Spark Team Issue for $1500.
If you go up to $1500 and second hand you'll have better luck.
Mine's a 2015 so external cables and definitely not new tech.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Well a friend of mine lent me his Top Fuel...8?.... and I went to a local trail with another friend. It was a lot of fun. Now what? I def want a trail bike. I've had nothing but good experiences with my Dengfu so I'm thinking about going full Chinese for the MTB (well maybe outside of the suspension).