American classic boost endcaps

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

Hey all. Found a great deal on a 15x100 and 12x142 ac wheelset. I want to run a boost fork and can unscrew the end caps and it looks like the inserts (circled in red)can be replaced with longer ones but of course ac is out of business. Any ideas if anyone else uses this same design so i can buy longer inserts?ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited by protocol_droid on Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
naked 3po, the first weight weenie.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

Best way would be CNC machine or 3D print those cups, plus you'll need longer thru-axle and spacer shim for brake rotor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

samarskyrider wrote:Best way would be CNC machine or 3D print those cups, plus you'll need longer thru-axle and spacer shim for brake rotor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea was thinkin about the 3d thing..i already have the disc spacers. Thanks for the input. Printing may be the best option.

joejack951

by joejack951

Easiest way is going to be to buying a Boost conversion kit for the hub. Unless you plan to dish the wheel, you'll need a Boost rotor spacer anyway. The kit will come with spacers for the hub where it sits in the dropouts. The only downside is that they are loose, i.e. not part of the hub. You could always glue them to the fork or the hub if that really bothered you.

I would definitely not 3D print parts for this application. They won't be strong enough under the constant compression load. The parts do look fairly simple, though, so anyone with a lathe could produce a set for you. I'm capable of it, but not sure how quickly you need them.

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

joejack951 wrote:Easiest way is going to be to buying a Boost conversion kit for the hub. Unless you plan to dish the wheel, you'll need a Boost rotor spacer anyway. The kit will come with spacers for the hub where it sits in the dropouts. The only downside is that they are loose, i.e. not part of the hub. You could always glue them to the fork or the hub if that really bothered you.

I would definitely not 3D print parts for this application. They won't be strong enough under the constant compression load. The parts do look fairly simple, though, so anyone with a lathe could produce a set for you. I'm capable of it, but not sure how quickly you need them.
Boost conversion kit i cant find anywhere for the ac hub itself. The other annoying option would be to get the 5mm spacers for each side but when you pull the axle out the spacers fall out.

joejack951

by joejack951

protocol_droid wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:57 pm
Boost conversion kit i cant find anywhere for the ac hub itself. The other annoying option would be to get the 5mm spacers for each side but when you pull the axle out the spacers fall out.
I missed the part where you said you had purchased a generic Boost conversion kit with rotor spacer. Given that you don't want loose spacers, you are correct that replacing those end caps inserts is going to be the cleanest method.

Get me some dimensions and I can take a shot at making some for you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com