My trusty Rocky Mountain Element 90

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

NickyR

by NickyR

Hi,
As a teenager in the 90's, some brands made me dreaming (Cannondale, GT, Klein, Yeti, proflex ...) and Rocky Mountain was one of them. It was quite a mythic brand here in Belgium, Europe, and hard to find (and buy) , a kind of "holy grail". I remember falling in love of their gold and red Vertex (Easton tubing, syncros components, Judy Sl fork...) at the Houffalize XC world cup in 1994... So when I had the opportunity of a good deal on a new Element 90 XCO, I haven't hesitated for long.
I have ridden this bike since August 2019 and it has put a big smile on my face on every ride since then.
I previously rode a Scott Spark RC pro (2017-2019) and a Cannondale Scalpel carbon 2 (2015-2017), both were heavily upgraded and great bikes but the Rocky is something else. It's not "faster" than the 2 others (well maybe it is when descending :lol: ) but it is more fun, confortable but still very efficient, versatile and reliable. It has a "soul".
I changed the wheels for some good carbon ones (Duke Lucky Jack 6ters SLS2 rims, DT240 exp hubs, CX ray spokes), garbaruk cassette 10-52, saddle for my prefered one (Prologo Dimension NDR), stem and bar (thompson 80mm 10°, Reverse tracer XC 760mm), and since last week a brand new FOX 34 stepcast Float factory. The bike is also supposed to be equiped with a FOX transfer SL dropper but it is under warranty since last september... :evil:
The weight of the bike is 10,28kg as pictured below with Vittoria tyres, pedals and bottle cage :
IMG_3955.JPG
IMG_3957.JPG
With the dropper post, the weight varies between 10,46 and 10,57 kg :
IMG_3662.JPG
Not too bad for a chunky 2,5kg frame

js

by js

That's a great looking ride. I appreciate the work that's gone into a build like this - please tell me you're putting the orange grips back on for summer!

As an aside, but one you might appreciate - I was out for a ride on some new-to-me trails this summer and the land-owner came to welcome us when we were getting things out of the vehicle and ready to ride. He rode up on a stunning Rocky Element that immediately had my attention, and then I saw the name decal on it. He had purchased one of Andreas Hestler's old bikes. So many dreams from my youth in one bike... and the trails were great too!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

Sick! Ive had my 13 upgraded with a custom 21 fox rear and 21 sid ultimate front fork. Extralite/berd wheelset and had it down to 18.75 lbs. I also have a 19 spark nino edition. Youre right the element has a different soul.Image

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

naked 3po, the first weight weenie.

NickyR

by NickyR

js wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:26 pm
That's a great looking ride. I appreciate the work that's gone into a build like this - please tell me you're putting the orange grips back on for summer!
Yes sir !