Light and relatively low cost options

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

welchy

by welchy

Hi everybody, just working out a list of bits and bobs for my new ride. I'll be doing it steadily over time and forks will go first.

I've already hit the easy win of tyres/tubeless and saddle.

I think rotors next, then any ideas for weight savings at low £$ to gram saving that'll keep durability?
Attachments
1B9AE8E8-0648-4CAA-9715-02472D8CBD3A.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Don't swap parts for weight savings on this, it makes no sense.

Save up for a carbon wheelset maybe?

Oh, and very nice bike, looks like a blast to ride!

welchy

by welchy

Hey buddy, cheers. Get your point for sure. But you know it's WW and reasoning doesn't go too far 🤣

I'm not needing super lightweight, just things like rotors, stem, bars, grips.

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

welchy wrote:Hey buddy, cheers. Get your point for sure. But you know it's WW and reasoning doesn't go too far Image

I'm not needing super lightweight, just things like rotors, stem, bars, grips.
Hey welchy. You should list what parts you have so ppl can recommend replacements. Just some inexpensive things that dont cost an arm and a leg.

Ashima ai rotors are pretty much standard for good lightweight rotors.

Check out wren stems on ebay. Lightweight without breaking the bank.

Mt zoom carbon bar good weight and much higher rider weight can be used vs extralite/schmolke/darimo without breaking the bank.

Alligator ilinks for cable housing.

Find some cheap crank brothers egg beater pedals and swap with some titanium axles.

Mr ride on ebay has some great carbon seatposts for under 100 bucks that are all circa 130ish grams with good quality assuming youre not 250 lbs.

Ritchey wcs trugrips are 40 grams for probably the best feeling foam grips for 10 bucks. Ive tried extralite/kcnc/kona. All those are super hard and not fun on longer rides. These are ultra comfy.

Pyc or kmc sl chains also can drop weight depending on what youre currently running.

Hope that helps for ideas around inexpensive ww swaps.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

naked 3po, the first weight weenie.

Femboy

by Femboy

Ahsima ai2s are superlight and cheap af (15 dollars a peice from where I get them)
But you need metallic pads

froze

by froze

I agree about not going overboard on that bike, not sure what model it is since there is no model name on the bike I could see, but it could have been around $1,000 new. Thinking about that $1,000 cost of the bike, a set of carbon mountain wheels that are strong enough to use off road could easily cost you $1,000, so you can see where this is going! So, while your weight issues could be the rims and tires it's going to cost you a lot to replace that stuff with lighter wheels.

The other issue in regards to major weight penalty is the fork, not sure what model of fork you have but for a $1,000 bike it will probably be on the heavier side for forks, but it is a decent fork, just not as light as better ones. That fork could weigh around 3,000 grams, and better ones would weigh around 2,000 grams, so there's 1,000 grams right there you could lose, but you would also lose about $800 doing so! So now you have at least $1,800 in just two items, that would buy you a nice MTB. Of course, if you don't ride the bike in very demanding off-road activities, you could replace that fork with a solid fork instead and save a LOT of weight and money.

I took a look at those Ashima ai rotors, they are surly lightweight but there isn't much metal on them which means not much braking surface which means braking will be compromised and pads wear out faster, that means you won't be as fast on the bike on descent trails because you can't brake as late nor as hard as you could with better, and well, heavier rotors like the Shimano Deore XT M8000 Ice Tech, or TRP 25 which is built to last a very long time, or the Litetop rotor, all 3 of those get very high reviews. The Litetop is 1.9mm thick, the thickest of the three, followed by the TRP at 1.8, then the Shimano at 1.6; I do know that the Shimano won't last as long as the other two, but they do run a bit cooler supposedly, I'm not sure about the durability difference between the TRP 25 and the Litetop, I have used the TRP and still do, and I can say it does last a very long time, but of course the Shimano is the cheaper of the three. I just threw those 3 out there for you to consider, there are a few others that are really good as well, but the point is, or was, that you should not buy the lightest rotors you can find, your rotors will not last as long especially if using metallic pads, the pads will wear out faster even the metallic ones won't last as long, they won't stop you as quickly, they'll heat up faster, and for what? to save you 40 or so grams? LOL!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com