Are there any light THICK centerlock rotor?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I'm currently using Shimano M8120 brakes. But I'm itchy to test out Hayes Dominion A4 brake which is reviewed to be one of the best brake avilable.
The weight on caliper+lever+hose is not really different to Shimano m8120, so that's nice.
However,
Shimano rotor is ~1.7-1.8mm thick when new and it is designed to worn to 1.5mm before replaced. But Hayes brakes are designed for 1.95mm thick rotor when new and its piston won't progress far enough to have short lever throw if the rotor wear below 1.7mm thick. In short, I should look for a new rotor that start thicker. 1.8mm is a bare minimum but preferably over 1.9mm thick.

As centerlock or 6 bolt+adapter, all the options I've seen so far impose some weight increase or coolability shrink vs Shimano RT-MT900 rotors.
So, are there any thick but light rotor available?

I use 180mm front and 160mm rear on my bike. But lets focus on 180mm size.
|model, thickness, weight:|
Shimano RT-mt900 1.75mm, 131g <- too thin. And the aluminum fin will hit Hayes brake caliper.
Galfer Centerlock MTB, 1.8mm, 127g
Sram Centerline X, 1.8mm, 140g
Sram HS2, 2mm, 169g <- thick but quite heavy.
Hayes D-series 6 bolt, 1.95mm, 149g +20g for 6 bolt to centerlock
Magura Storm CL, 2.0mm, 221g <- eew, that weight.
Magura Storm SL, 2.0mm, 115g +20g for 6 bolt to centerlock <- prime candidate so far
TRP R1C, 2.3mm, 189g <- overkill for XC/trail. Actually, 2.3mm maybe too thick too.

Other dismissed:
Campagnolo Ekar rotor is 1.85mm thick, but the largest size is 160mm. No 180mm offered.

Any other rotor that is thick but light?

Dat

by Dat

The rotor thickeness isn't relevant. Hydraulic brakes are self adjusting. I've never had a long throw on a brake in the shop due to a worn rotor. Pad thickness would make more of a difference than .2mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

It is somehow relevant for Hayes.
The self adjusting piston position has an inner limit. It doesn't move all the way in to put pads against each other even when there is no rotor inside, and the brake pad spring put out varying push back force depend on the gap too so it'll rest at different distance.

But you are right. I could just shim behind brake pads if there is a problem of piston not advancing in enough when both pads and rotors are worn.