BB92 pressfit GXP options

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Primera23

by Primera23

So I have a BB92 pressfit carbon frame and my XX1 eagle crank which uses the GXP axle (not the newer dub version). It/me/my bike is eating the bearings at an enormous rate. Every couple of months I need to buy a new BB. Always used the same original truvativ/sram BB. Tried every possible lube/protection imagineable to protect the bearings. I don't have any creaking noises or so. Just when I had a real muddy/wet ride I have like a 70% chance my bearing are toast. I'm kind off a cleaning maniac so it is not due to lack of maintenance or neglect that this happens. After every ride I completely clean my bike with waterhose (no powerwash),soap and lubricate derrie, pedals, accesible bearings and moving parts. Reguraly I take apart pieces of my bike to deep clean and regrease.

I now ordered 2 different types of BB from aliexpress to compare them against the original one.

Some other, more expensive options from known brand, I found have really mixed reviews (going from "great and durable" to "constant creaking and sh*t").

So finally my question: what is the best solution for my current frame and crank?

All input is greatly appreciated!

js

by js

I've had good luck with the Wheels MFG ACB bottom brackets. The Angular Contact Bearings seem to do a good job of enduring all the weird forces that take place in mountain biking.

That said, I also recall a muddy CX race in the UK, where every one on my team needed to replace BB & Pulleys after one hour of racing in the mud. We were running various set-ups, but no one's seals could do anything against those conditions. If that's the type of stuff you're regularly seeing, then it may be best to stick with cheaper / more basic options. But if it's just the BB giving up, then maybe give the Wheels MFG set-up a try.

Also, bonus points for matching the valve stems to the SID. A little complimenting colour like that looks very classy on your bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I just use Shimano bb’s with a gxp adaptor they are cheap and well sealed. BB’s just get ruined on long wet and muddy rides. After such a ride I immediately clean the bike and take out the crank and clean it out.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Primera23 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:26 am
So I have a BB92 pressfit carbon frame and my XX1 eagle crank which uses the GXP axle (not the newer dub version). It/me/my bike is eating the bearings at an enormous rate. Every couple of months I need to buy a new BB. Always used the same original truvativ/sram BB. Tried every possible lube/protection imagineable to protect the bearings. I don't have any creaking noises or so. Just when I had a real muddy/wet ride I have like a 70% chance my bearing are toast. I'm kind off a cleaning maniac so it is not due to lack of maintenance or neglect that this happens. After every ride I completely clean my bike with waterhose (no powerwash),soap and lubricate derrie, pedals, accesible bearings and moving parts. Reguraly I take apart pieces of my bike to deep clean and regrease.

I now ordered 2 different types of BB from aliexpress to compare them against the original one.

Some other, more expensive options from known brand, I found have really mixed reviews (going from "great and durable" to "constant creaking and sh*t").

So finally my question: what is the best solution for my current frame and crank?

All input is greatly appreciated!

Stop washing you bike with water unless it's absolutley necessary, like huge globs of mud everywhere. People watch pros wash bikes with water but don't realize those guys are changing out all the bearings regularly and washing with water is faster and that's all they are concerned with.

VamP

by VamP

Do both bearings go, or is it always the non-drive side? GXP is badly designed and overloads the non-drive side.

I have also switched to the Wheels screw together solution, it does seem to work better. Also, once you've fitted it, you only replace the bearings, which is cheaper and quicker.

DanW

by DanW

ANother vote here for the Wheels MFG BB. Super solid and as others have said only a quick bearing change when they do start to get rough or noisy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com