Cannondale Scalpel HT

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fac83ajc

by fac83ajc

62D40A2C-259D-47D2-8412-640996F509A6.jpeg
Hi all,

Got my paws on a new Cannondale Scalpel HT 3, probably one of the first in the UK. Full spec here: https://www.cannondale.com/en-gb/bikes/ ... t-carbon-3

Pretty happy with it, but it is my first mtb in years so anything new would probably feel nice to me. So far only mod is changing the stock Alu bars for a Carbon MT Zoom flat bar (115g), which took about 180g off the weight. Current weight of the full bike with bottle cage, wahoo mount and hefty shimano spd pedals is 10.8 kg.

Would like to get this down to 10kg without doing anything too crazy, so pretty high on the list is lighter pedals, a Garbaruk cassette and longer term changing the brakes. May also look at the wheels, which are stans crest 4 rims on basic Shimano hubs, so might just go for lighter hubs and spokes once winter is out the way. Any suggestions welcome.

Lastly, looking at putting a Sigeyi Axo spider power meter on there. Can see they have a version for the Cannondale One Crankset, but it’s marked as the AI version. This new Scalpel doesn’t have the actual Cannondale AI thing but does have a similar 55mm chainline. So unsure of this will fit okay, anyone know? Cheers

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Nice bike! I wouldn't bother replacing anything until after the winter tbh, you may as well wear out the cassette before replacing it.

Wheels, saddle and maybe the seat post (not sure what you have there) are the only places you'll save meaningful weight without spending a fortune
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

I am glad cannondale ditched the AI... That makes me put this bike to my eventual future bike, because my DUB crankset will fit, and i won't need to move the rear wheel 6mm.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

I'd go for the crank arms
Seat
Stem / bars
Seat post
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

fac83ajc

by fac83ajc

Cheers folks. Yeah mods likely to be happening after our lovely Scottish winter. Also may wait a while on the power meter as could just change the entire crankset at the same time.

Seatpost I nearly went for a Mt Zoom one as well, while it is a carbon seat post on it already, the Mt Zoom would be over 100g lighter. However, might go for a dropper :)

Thanks

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

How are you liking the Scalpel HT after nearly a year? Contemplating getting one and really curious is the rear stay design helps with the harsh feeling of a more conventional stay design of something like a Scott Scale. Thanks.
adrenaline junkie

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

To pick up on the crankset discussion: Did anybody successfully install an XT or SLX crank on the Scalpel HT? If so, which model?

stoney

by stoney

SpeedyChix wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:46 pm
How are you liking the Scalpel HT after nearly a year? Contemplating getting one and really curious is the rear stay design helps with the harsh feeling of a more conventional stay design of something like a Scott Scale. Thanks.
According to BikeRadar review, the Scalpel HT is more comfortable than the Epic HT.

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

According to BikeRadar review, the Scalpel HT is more comfortable than the Epic HT.
Thanks for spotting that.
adrenaline junkie

fac83ajc

by fac83ajc

Hi there. I am loving the Scalpel after a year of ownership. Really capable for pretty tech trails and a really good rig for xc racing. The rear does feel quite compliant and takes a bit of the harshness and some of the hits away from the rider.

Have recently changed the wheels, rotors and cassette but short of that left it pretty stock. Will update here with some pics and the new weight soon.

Cheers

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

fac83ajc wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:16 pm
Hi there. I am loving the Scalpel after a year of ownership. Really capable for pretty tech trails and a really good rig for xc racing. The rear does feel quite compliant and takes a bit of the harshness and some of the hits away from the rider.

Have recently changed the wheels, rotors and cassette but short of that left it pretty stock. Will update here with some pics and the new weight soon.

Cheers
Excellent.
Last edited by SpeedyChix on Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrenaline junkie

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

Just another update on the crankset on the Scalpel HT: on the XT 8120 Crank, the protuding screws on the Shiman chain ring come awefully close to the frame. Switched that to a flat Burgtec direct mount and played a little with some BBB spindle spacers in different sizes. Result is the cranset sits perfectly.

witk

by witk

Amazing bike! You can save a lot of gr if you change the saddle. There are very cheap-light options in aliexpress.
https://weightisthekey.com --> Bike components on scale. Sign up for free!

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

Bought a Scalpel HT and the ride is awesome. Want to add an internally routed dropper. Going to attempt to do it with the BB in but if it comes to that...I want to put in a unit like Wheels mfq that threads together. Looks like this might be an option: https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/b ... black.html
adrenaline junkie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com