lightweight mtb tires

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

xixang

by xixang

Femboy wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:10 pm
xixang wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:20 am
Well the standard Fred tire was 416g but if ytou can find the Addix compound its 364g, straight sorcery there.

hows the puncture resistant doe?
Certainly on the low end. I've been riding ReneHerse Extralights for awhile now with minimal issues and feel like this tire will be comparable. Most punctures self seal. Occasionally I add air with a c02 cartridge. And more rare I use a tire plug. Never had to pull my tire off and install a tube though. I live in the Midwest, maybe other areas with more sharp rocks it's not a great choice? I'm planning to install them on my flat bar gravel bike soon, I can report back after I've put miles on them.

thegolfather

by thegolfather

xixang wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:20 am
Well the standard Fred tire with the Addix compound is 364g, straight sorcery there.

Are these still available?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xixang

by xixang

I did a saved search and they seem to pop up every now and then on eBay UK, must be some old stock there. But otherwise I think they were discontinued in 2014. I've been running them on my gravel bike and they're a great in between if you're used to a super supple tire like Rene Herse slick but want just a little tread.

joeeboh

by joeeboh

Re the Furious Freds, could the same be achieved by using the knobbiest 650b gravel tires, whatever they are?

Not too familiar with gravel tires, but would be willing to give it a go. Finding an appropriate tire width would probably be an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jemima

by jemima

xixang wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:11 pm
I did a saved search and they seem to pop up every now and then on eBay UK, must be some old stock there. But otherwise I think they were discontinued in 2014. I've been running them on my gravel bike and they're a great in between if you're used to a super supple tire like Rene Herse slick but want just a little tread.

At times I've ran the RH 44mm filetread rear, with the redstripe FF front which measures about 46.5mm on my 22mmInner.
Curve Grovel ti.

jemima

by jemima

joeeboh wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:13 pm
Re the Furious Freds, could the same be achieved by using the knobbiest 650b gravel tires, whatever they are?

Not too familiar with gravel tires, but would be willing to give it a go. Finding an appropriate tire width would probably be an issue.

'Same be achieved'?
Curve Grovel ti.

joeeboh

by joeeboh

jemima wrote:
joeeboh wrote:

'Same be achieved'?
Similar weight/performance

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

jemima

by jemima

joeeboh wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:15 pm
jemima wrote:
joeeboh wrote:

'Same be achieved'?
Similar weight/performance

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

There'd be some experimenting cost going on.

Recently I came across the Schwalbe tyre cutters so I'll be getting those to play around with some treads.

Probably best to just look into getting one of the lighter 650b tyres out there, in the approx width you want.

The Innova Pro Dragon Skin 27.5 has similar tread to the Furious Fred. Fairly low weight with similar grip.
Measures pretty narrow though at around 43mm vs the 45/46mm FF.
Curve Grovel ti.

greatstewie

by greatstewie

xixang are those tubeless ready?

Yoln

by Yoln

CrossKing front (663g) RaceKing rear (572g) is a nice combination of Grip/Speed/weight at 1235g for both:

Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

thegolfather

by thegolfather

I bought the Pirelli Scorpion XC lite team edition these were fast and light but leaked everywhere.
Attachments
Pirelli.jpg

greatstewie

by greatstewie

how mch do Pirelli Scorpion XC weight?