Which 2021 MTB frames are still compatible with front derailleurs?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

steveadore

by steveadore

Do you know any new/latest models that still allow for mounting a front derailleur? MTB has gone all in on 1x, but I prefer my 2x (and thankfully Shimano still makes high end 2x drivetrains). It would great to have a database of compatible frames that are in production (as opposed to hunting down NOS older models).

ooo

by ooo

2x12 or 2x11?

2x12:
FD is not compatible with top pull or down pull nos frames (front pull only)
RD is not compatible with direct mont hanger frames (classic hanger only)
you need to look for a frame with standard hanger for RD and front pull (Side Swing) for FD
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

None, 2x is dead for mtb’s

02GF74

by 02GF74

Why do you prefer 2x?

My experience is that on a road bike where the terrain does not charge as quickly as off road, then having close set gears and lots of them is best go keeping a steady cadence.

I'm still strong enough to grind through the gears so having less of them and bigger jumps between sprockets is not a problem for me off road.

I jumped from 3x to1x so bypassed 2x totally, it was short lived anyway.

The problem with 11x (42-10 with 32T) is I'm out of gears on steep downhills, namely on the road as I generally don't pedal going down hill off road. This happens because the gears are chosen to favour climbing.

With the advent of 12x, the cassette goes to 50T (?) so would allow 34T or even 36T chainring that would result in higher top speed. I believe a 9T small sprocket is available for 11 speed cassette.

All gear systems are a compromise, I'm pretty sure if you stuck with it, the disadvantages of 1x is far less than those with 2x or 3x.

If you insist on a front derailleur, then make sure the frame is strong enough for the clamp and had appropriate cable guides, the latter I think will be a struggle unless you go electronic derailleur.

cula_ru

by cula_ru

Scott scale has an option to mount a FD.