Suntour Forks

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

So, I've not ridden anything Suntour since about 1991/2 with an XC Pro groupset on my rigid Cannondale SM1000.

I noticed at the wekend Pidcock is running Suntour AXON forks, TBH I thought Suntour just did forks for the lower end of the market as I've never seen a set out on the trail, just the usual RockShox, Fox or the odd Manitou or Lefty.

So what are the thoughts? I assume Pidcock could choose pretty much any fork he wanted, why the Suntour?
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

santanacorreia

by santanacorreia

They do all kinds of forks but have not been on the Major League were rs, fox, dt swiss and manitou was.

Dont knlw if this fork is of any good. I dont think Pidcocl won because of the fork. Anyway Sarrou last year won the WC also with a Sr Suntour. This is not new.

Enviado do meu SM-G960F através do Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

So he did, (and on the same BMC frame) I didn't notice it last year, I think I just default into seeing a black pair of forks and assume it's RockShox/Fox
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

IIRC Suntour make (made?) a lot of parts for one or two of the big players and they also manufacture some of the mid/low end stuff as well.
So they certainly have to know how and the facilities to make high end equipment.

NickyR

by NickyR

bikewithnoname wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:46 am
So, I've not ridden anything Suntour since about 1991/2 with an XC Pro groupset on my rigid Cannondale SM1000.

I noticed at the wekend Pidcock is running Suntour AXON forks, TBH I thought Suntour just did forks for the lower end of the market as I've never seen a set out on the trail, just the usual RockShox, Fox or the odd Manitou or Lefty.

So what are the thoughts? I assume Pidcock could choose pretty much any fork he wanted, why the Suntour?
I have riden the Suntour Axon werx 34 (the same fork as Pidcock and Sarrou's BMC at WC) --> it is a excellent fork, very plush, stiff, easily serviceable and customisable.
Quite light too (1560g with cut steerer). There is nothing wrong for a top rider to use this fork. Their rear shock is very good too. Suntour has a good "service course" maybe it is something an "independant" rider like Pidcock is after. Maybe he doesn't want to make some free advertisement for the big brands RS and Fox? who knows.
Suntour is a major company for suspension fork, they do some parts for other big brands. They can make cheap forks but also very high quality ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Weight isn’t really competitive, but certainly not bad, I know I compared it but just didn’t seem like a great option. Pricing is a bit high tho