Trek Supercaliber build

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stermyx

by stermyx

Hello, nice build. What headset dust cover are you using?? I dont want to use the knockblock one.

ezno

by ezno

Ceetec, but you can pick up some nice ones on ebay or amazon for half the price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stermyx

by stermyx

ezno wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:34 pm
Ceetec, but you can pick up some nice ones on ebay or amazon for half the price.
Thank you for your help.

ComeKnowMeAsGC

by ComeKnowMeAsGC

Do you find your times to be much faster on dirt? I always *feel* stripped down race bikes are faster/snappier/etc but it usually doesn't translate into actual trail/loop/segment times according to most. I went from a 2020 epit HT to a 2022 epic evo but also lost a LOT of fitness due to work travel for months - switched bikes for comfort reasons but was surprised by how time I lost on segments despite feeling good about my subjective pace (guessing most of this is fitness but wanted to get your take as the Supercaliber is a bike I've considered switching to as an inbetween of HT's and normal XC FS bikes).

ezno

by ezno

ComeKnowMeAsGC wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:28 pm
Do you find your times to be much faster on dirt? I always *feel* stripped down race bikes are faster/snappier/etc but it usually doesn't translate into actual trail/loop/segment times according to most. I went from a 2020 epit HT to a 2022 epic evo but also lost a LOT of fitness due to work travel for months - switched bikes for comfort reasons but was surprised by how time I lost on segments despite feeling good about my subjective pace (guessing most of this is fitness but wanted to get your take as the Supercaliber is a bike I've considered switching to as an inbetween of HT's and normal XC FS bikes).
My Trek Top Fuel felt like a Cadilac compared to the Supercaliber, but I am much faster climbing and lap time is alot faster on Supercaliber. My body takes a beating if the trail is hard though, 55mill of travel in the rear shock is not enough for a 6'4" 200lb old man like me.

ComeKnowMeAsGC

by ComeKnowMeAsGC

ezno wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:34 am
ComeKnowMeAsGC wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:28 pm
My Trek Top Fuel felt like a Cadilac compared to the Supercaliber, but I am much faster climbing and lap time is alot faster on Supercaliber. My body takes a beating if the trail is hard though, 55mill of travel in the rear shock is not enough for a 6'4" 200lb old man like me.
Good to know - thanks! Fellow old'ish man (39, 6'0", 190).

jwest

by jwest

stermyx wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:54 pm
Hello, nice build. What headset dust cover are you using?? I dont want to use the knockblock one.
Hi, I took the knock-block tab out of the top tube and filed off the nub/catch and bolted it back in to keep dirt out. Then I got a Wolf Tooth "knock block top cap because I wanted a fun color, but it works fine as a regular cap too.

stermyx

by stermyx

jwest wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:49 am
stermyx wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:54 pm
Hi, I took the knock-block tab out of the top tube and filed off the nub/catch and bolted it back in to keep dirt out. Then I got a Wolf Tooth "knock block top cap because I wanted a fun color, but it works fine as a regular cap too.
Thank you, finally i did the same.