Bike Ahead One-Piece Handlebar

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

whilgenberg

by whilgenberg

As the subject says, Bike Ahead appears to be in the late stages of developing a one-piece handlebar. Screen shots are from the recent Ghost Factory Team video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMvyvBvFdUE

Given their history of providing some extremely lightweight products, it seems as though we may have a candidate to unseat the current one-piece bar/stem lightweight setup of the Gemini or Syncros handlebars for lightest weight setup.

Another impressive feature here is the wedge style tightening system ahead of the steerer whcih should work better with composite construction constraints leading to an overall lighterweight structure. Also of note is the use of a standard headset compression cap and a flat surface on top of the bar at the "stem" junction allowing you to run a spacer above the bar/stem while you are still sorting out your position.

The last image also appears to show a forward mounted computer implying that there will be an available computer mount that will bolt to the underside of the bar/stem combo.

With the level of graphics treatment shown here and the fact that only 2-3 of the team riders are equipped with the bar, I would guess that we could see this hit the market some time around late summer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Crankycolnago

by Crankycolnago

Take my money !!!

SamD

by SamD

Hi, is there anyone who has bought these and wants to share their opinion and perhaps a photo? Thanks!

scant

by scant

i've had 1 on back order, coming up for 4 months. gemini is still lighter by around 40g depending on the size (if you include the required gemini ahead cap)
https://bike-ahead-composites.de/produc ... -unit.html

but the bikeahead unit is designated for category 4, up to ebike usage. I've had 3 handlebars break on me in the early 90s. the gemini propus is likely more than strong enough, but after having 3 different brand handlebars either bend or snap on me in the development years of late 80s, early 90s, well I prefer to be a bit more cautious