Light, Durable ~30mm inner rims?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ghd

by ghd

dudemanppl wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:42 pm
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001561452261.html

I just ordered a set of their 27 internal 275g rims, we'll see how that goes...
I'm tempted to get some rims from this manufacturer/store. Please let us know how it goes for you. Thanks.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Looking at R2 now, it seems they don’t even expect to receive my wheels, let alone ship them, until some time in May.

I might start looking at other options again.

Anyone know if Duke is planning on updating the Crazy Jack rims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

Just go with Specialized's new Roval Carbon they just released. 29mm internal width, 1450 grams, $1350.00, lifetime warranty.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

stoney wrote:Just go with Specialized's new Roval Carbon they just released. 29mm internal width, 1450 grams, $1350.00, lifetime warranty.
They use the same rims as the SLs. Seen several of those broken already. Not ideal for my use.

Unbrokenchain

by Unbrokenchain

LeDuke wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:18 pm
stoney wrote:Just go with Specialized's new Roval Carbon they just released. 29mm internal width, 1450 grams, $1350.00, lifetime warranty.
They use the same rims as the SLs. Seen several of those broken already. Not ideal for my use.

So I have a friend that road his enduro bike all summer on the Control SLs with not an issue. Also Mike Levy wrote “I've been beating the s*** out of these wheels for months now and have zero issues or concerns to report..." But I guess you ride harder!!

stoney

by stoney

LeDuke wrote:

Where did the rims break? Around the nipple? The SLs only have 24 spokes which would put more stress whereas the new Controls have 28 spokes to more evenly distribute the pressure.

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Unbrokenchain wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:32 pm
LeDuke wrote:

So I have a friend that road his enduro bike all summer on the Control SLs with not an issue. Also Mike Levy wrote “I've been beating the s*** out of these wheels for months now and have zero issues or concerns to report..." But I guess you ride harder!!
It's not about riding hard, it's about riding good. Levy could beat the s*** out of wheels but isn't a hack and knows how to ride. :)

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'm hardly a hack. I've always been of the opinion that smoother = faster. But my point is that 360g, 29mm internal rims and long term durability are typically not terms that I associate with each other. Regardless of riding style.

If you look at most major manufacturers, for day to day use, that rim is the lightest out there. Duke, MCFK, DT Swiss, Enve, etc. are all making rims that are heavier at that width. That's not a coincidence.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Asked for and received a refund from R2. They'd updated me via email saying that they didn't even have an ETA on receiving the wheel on their end in Germany.

Going a different route now: Nextie NXT29XM36 UD rims with paintless finish, DT 180s, Berd spokes.

Should be sub-1300g, and cheaper than the XMCs.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

LeDuke wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:12 pm
Asked for and received a refund from R2. They'd updated me via email saying that they didn't even have an ETA on receiving the wheel on their end in Germany.

Going a different route now: Nextie NXT29XM36 UD rims with paintless finish, DT 180s, Berd spokes.

What is the estimated lead time?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

carbonazza wrote:
LeDuke wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:12 pm

What is the estimated lead time?
13 working days. Not terrible.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Rims are still in production, hubs are with DHL at the "parcel center of origin" in Ottendorf, Germany.

We'll see which box gets here first.

vrapo

by vrapo

Check out 9th Wave Ninefold Yarrow + ... i think they are 34 internal

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Got my rims on Saturday. With a tag that they hang on each rim that includes details re: roundness and flatness, the rims weighed 427 and 428g, respectively, on my kitchen gram scale.

Will be shipping them off to Berd tomorrow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com