Specialized S-Works 7 MTB shoe

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

I've got the version 6 S-Works MTB shoe; the creaking is driving me mad.

After much sleuthing (including rebuilding my BB...) it's the shoes.

Not the cleats, pedals or any other interface, but it's the underside of the uppers juddering against the tongue - the smooth vinyl to vinyl contact just creates an unbelievable creak/squeak. I've tried all manner of coatings/lubricants/talcs etc., and they only effect a temporary/partial cure. Tightening the boas tends to accentuate it.

It seems this is a issue with this shoe - i've read very specific comments about vn 6.

I really like the shoe, and use the Spec footbeds.

My question is: is the version 7 similarly afflicted?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

Can’t speak to the mtb sworks 7 but I can tell you I have 2 pairs of the road version and while they don’t creak, the way the uppers are shaped they do gouge massive holes into the top of my ankles I have permanent scars and bloody dents there now. Sadly they felt so nice in the store I purchased 2 pairs one in my correct size and another .5 size up for thicker socks in winter, have same problem with both shoes and I can’t afford new ones :( the material is super stiff so it’s kind of like a knife blade and shaped just so it gouges my ankle as my foot flexes upward.
Just an FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

dcorn

by dcorn

gitsome wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:40 am
Can’t speak to the mtb sworks 7 but I can tell you I have 2 pairs of the road version and while they don’t creak, the way the uppers are shaped they do gouge massive holes into the top of my ankles I have permanent scars and bloody dents there now. Sadly they felt so nice in the store I purchased 2 pairs one in my correct size and another .5 size up for thicker socks in winter, have same problem with both shoes and I can’t afford new ones :( the material is super stiff so it’s kind of like a knife blade and shaped just so it gouges my ankle as my foot flexes upward.
Just an FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the Road 7 and the Sworks Recon (MTB S-works 7). The issue above is worse on the Recons because the material around the upper plastic BOA loop is even stiffer. I just got a red mark on the front of my ankle from the road shoes, but since MTB riding is done with the heels down more, the shoe cuts into my foot even worse and took some skin off after a longer ride. Hopefully they'll break in a bit more.

No creaking though!

Swannie

by Swannie

i also have both, S works 7 road and mtb (recon).
My recons creaked like hell, but then i put the Crankbrothers Shoe Shields between the Spd cleat and the sole and the creaking is gone.

dcorn

by dcorn

Oh, my shimano SPD pedals creak like hell. A little lube solves it for a bit, but it starts again after 30-60 minutes of riding.

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

Yes, the time delay is the most annoying part of it. Lube dup, all seeems fine until that final climb on the way home and the buggers start creaking like hell!

req110

by req110

Swannie wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:25 am
i also have both, S works 7 road and mtb (recon).
My recons creaked like hell, but then i put the Crankbrothers Shoe Shields between the Spd cleat and the sole and the creaking is gone.
Great idea. Did that work also with shimano cleats?
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

req110

by req110

I just installed them. Seems like it works. I need to give it few rides.
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

req110 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:54 pm
Yeah, I'm also using the CB shields with Shimano SPDs on my SW Recons. The only downside is that it makes the cleat wear out faster when walking since it sticks out more.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP|Ultegra R8100|Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:32 pm
req110 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:54 pm
Yeah, I'm also using the CB shields with Shimano SPDs on my SW Recons. The only downside is that it makes the cleat wear out faster when walking since it sticks out more.
Put a little shoe goo on the rubber tread, solves the walking problem AND makes them last longer. Also putting the front spikes in protects the front of the sole and again makes them last longer.