XTR pedals driving me crazy

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Marin

by Marin

I use silicone spray on my pedals every few rides. Doesn't attract dirt and silences them.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

As a person with a very wide forefoot and doesn't like squished toes, Lake shoes are the only option for me (and even they are too pointy for my toes, but I have found cycling shoes that have a remotely wide to area.) While my Lake MX237 shoes and XTR SPD pedals work just fine, the combination is embarrassingly squeaky. Every time I get out of the saddle to climb a steep hill, squeak ... squeak ... squeak ... squeak :( Nothing like riding a $5k bike that squeaks like a department store bicycle!

Looking at the wear pattern on my shoes and pedals, it appears like the rubber "bumpers" on the shoes come in contact with the pedal surface when I put a lot of downward force on the pedals (I.e., standing while climbing). I have my pedals setup to be relatively loose to allow for float, so I'm assuming that's contributing to the sqeak issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

Tried Bont shoes instead?
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Use Silicon spray or a small spacer

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

MikeMoore wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:07 pm
Tried Bont shoes instead?
I've tried 3 different styles of Bonts as well as shoes from almost every major manufacturer. Bont's "bathtub" soles do not work for my fee and while the Bont toe box is *slightly* less pointing, they still don't work for my "Egyption foot shape" (I guess that's a thing?). However, I digress... this thread is about squeaky pedals interfaces...
robbosmans wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:02 pm
Use Silicon spray or a small spacer
Thanks. I just went into the garage and sprayed the soles of my shoes with silicon spray and at least for the moment, they're as slippery as ice skates :D :shock: I'll be curious to see if this helps after the soles get dirty after walking in them.

bentrotor

by bentrotor

Had a similar issue before with a Decathlon shoe, after lots of experimentation and lubrication, I ended up sanding a small groove around the marks.

ooo

by ooo

you can use shimano specific spacer for non-carbon shoes:

for carbon shoes you can use crankbrothers "shoe shields" as a spacers:
Image Image
'

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

ooo wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:56 pm
for carbon shoes you can use crankbrothers "shoe shields" as a spacers:
Those are interesting and might just do the trick. The Teflon spray didn't work on my Lake MX237s, even when just riding on my indoor trainer when my shoes never got dirty. I had tried cutting-away a little of the tread on the soles at one time, but it's super tough rubber and decided not to destroy the shoes for a squeak.

minerih473

by minerih473

Me too

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Furniture polish on the sole of your shoe... Usually lasts a couple of rides.
Also stops quite so much mud building up in the sole.

thewoodsman

by thewoodsman

Lakes have a fairly deep recess for the cleat, so they can sit a little high, which can cause rocking/squeaking (separate from a squeaky cleat/pedal interface). Crank Bros candy pedals have spacers you can add to the contact area to take up the gap...worked well, but I never liked those pedals.

jasjas

by jasjas

i love my xtr pedals, the stack height is lower and they are wider too, use with a variety of shoes.

i use a ptfe spray when required.

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Saw this picture on a non-Lake website. Not quite sure how I can figure-out if my cleat 0.25mm off the ground, but this may explain all the squeaking I get from my shoes...

kode54

by kode54

thewoodsman wrote:Lakes have a fairly deep recess for the cleat, so they can sit a little high, which can cause rocking/squeaking (separate from a squeaky cleat/pedal interface). Crank Bros candy pedals have spacers you can add to the contact area to take up the gap...worked well, but I never liked those pedals.
You can get a spacer to lift the XTR cleat higher to make it flush to the rubber sole. I had to add it on one of my gravel shoes. I forget which one…maybe it was my SW Recon.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Thanks to ooo for suggesting the Crank Brothers shoe guard as a spacer for my Lake MX237 shoes. I finally got around to getting a set because the squeak was making me nuts while training indoors. As suspected, they do the trick... no squeaks. (Although I feel a bit dumb not having done this years ago! :oops: ) Now that the rubber soles are no longer touching the pedals, the pedals do feel a bit "loosy-goosy", but quiet.