XTR pedals driving me crazy

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fastezzie

by fastezzie

Have been using (past three years) Lake brand shoes with XTR pedals. The tread/pedal interface squeaks horribly and is driving me insane. I find myself avoiding my MTB because my road setup is so quiet and perfect. I have tried several other brands of shoes and nothing fits very well so I'm kinda stuck with the Lakes. Would a different brand of pedals make a difference? Maybe something with less shoe/pedal contact?

boots2000

by boots2000

I also had problems with Lake shoes. I could never get cleats to not creak on those.
Are you using Lake for width? Or another fit issue?

I have also has issues in general with Shimano SPD pedals- They always start creaking when there is the slightest wear- it is usually the pedal rubbing againt the shoe rubber. You can't trim the rubber, or it rocks even more. I have tried lubes, waxes, fresh cleats, differnet shoes- It all ultimately creaks.

Recently I switched to HT pedals- These don't creak. The interface is tight, and they have 4 degree and 8 degree cleats. I have put these on all of my bikes- No noise. I am super happy with these.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fastezzie

by fastezzie

Lake shoes give my toes room to party. I used to like Shimano but the new last doesn't work for me.
I will try the HT pedals!! Thanks much.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

You just need to lube the pedal, this is happens to almost al spd pedals, no big deal

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

TheMalahat

by TheMalahat

robbosmans wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:23 am
You just need to lube the pedal, this is happens to almost al spd pedals, no big deal

Just any bike lube? And all over the clip? Mine are driving me crazy. Thanks!

jcrr

by jcrr

robbosmans wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:23 am

Unsure what you mean by 'lube the pedal'... can you expound?

@fastezzie, as @boots2000 mentions, I have expereienced the same when the cleats are worn by some amount. New cleats generally take care of the creaking for me. I have extended the life of worn cleats by placing some gorilla/duct tape on the sides of the XTR where the shoes contact. 1 or 2 layers thick, and fully acknowldeging the tape wears off after 4-5 rides.
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Glad to read I am not the only one with this problem. I use XT pedals and Shimano shoes and the creak is always there and it annoys me very much. I was thinking about switching to Time pedals, to see if that cures it.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Just normal grease in the spring mechanism and and a spray lube or chainlube on the cleat interface

Eggbeaters are the worst pedals I have ever put on my bike, the body rusted and the bearings where shot after one mild winter, the cleats are also way to expensive

rawjunk

by rawjunk

I have same problem with M530 pedals, super annoying.

Yemble

by Yemble

I was getting this with XTR pedals. Gave the spring a good spray with a dry teflon lube and smeared all over with red grease. Has been silent since. If it starts up again I'm going to give them a full service down to the bearings just to rule that out.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I've lubed mine as well at times, but it just attracts so much dirt. Surely there must be a better solution to cure the squeaking.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Sjoerd wrote:I've lubed mine as well at times, but it just attracts so much dirt. Surely there must be a better solution to cure the squeaking.
Try a dry lube

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Will do, thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

solarider

by solarider

Do we need a thread about waxing our pedals now like our chains? All joking aside, it might be a way of lubricating without attracting dirt. Just a quick rub on the interface with some hard wax?