HELP needed - 68mm BB and eeWings - I am so F****D :-(

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ebsilon

by ebsilon

Hello All :)

I really do need some help here.

I have a titanium frame with 68mm BB.

I have just purchased a eeWings crank, but for the first time I can´t really see how to install a BB or cranks.

The cranks are eeWings Mountian for 73mm BB. I have bought a Chris King ThreadFit 30 BB including Fit Kit #3 for ThreadFit 30. The CK Fit Kit #3 includes three BB spacer in 2.5mm.

Have any of you guys installed such a eeWings in a 68mm BB?

I just can not figure out what spacers to use or where to place the spacers....... :cry:

I would really like to see some pictures or any other help.

Ciaoooo

Moller
Speed of Lite

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Did you read the manual? This is the same situation as installing MTB cranks on 68mm threaded BB, fairly common.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ebsilon

by ebsilon

Yes, I have read the all the papers from King and Cane Creek.

The thing is that when you install a Chris King ThreadFit 30 BB in a 68mm BB you have to install 2 BB-spacers (5mm) on the right BB Cup an 1 BB-spacer (2,5) on the left BB Cup.

I have installed the spacers according to the Chris King papers:

The thing that worries me is that the Cane Creek papers says that I have to add an additional 2,5mm spacer on the right side (right BB Cup).

That means that the right BB cup will have three BB-spacers (7,5mm) - and I think that 3 spacers (7,5mm) is very much and I wonder how much thread there is left to secure the right BB Cup in the BB.

I am wondering if I can use a 2,5mm Spindle Spacer instead of the third 2,5mm spacer on the right BB Cup?????
Speed of Lite

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

ebsilon wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:26 pm
The thing that worries me is that the Cane Creek papers says that I have to add an additional 2,5mm spacer on the right side (right BB Cup).
No they don't. The Cane Creek instrucitons says to do the exact same thing as the Chris King instructions: If using a BSA30 bottom bracket with a 73 mm wide shell, use one 2.5 mm bottom bracket spacer on the driveside. Ergo since your shell is 68 mm wide, you should follow Chris King's instructions for that shell type and beyond that only add the Cane Creek 1.75 mm spindle spacer.

ebsilon

by ebsilon

MayhemSWE wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:30 pm
No they don't. The Cane Creek instrucitons says to do the exact same thing as the Chris King instructions
Hello MayhemSWE :)

You are so right - I did figure that out during the day and I am glad you confirmed it.

That said, I did acually need to use a 2,5mm Drive Side Spindle Spacer and instead of the Cane Creek 1,75mm Drive Side Spindle Spacer and then I did use the Cane Creek 1,75mm Drive Side Spindle Spacer on the Non-Drive Side. The Preload Nut on the Non-Drive Side could take up rest of the play and all is just fine. I did manage to center that crank within 0,3mm in the frame and all looks and feel fine :thumbup:

Thank you.

All the best.

Moller
Speed of Lite

Schottenrock

by Schottenrock

Hey guys, I dont want to catch this thread, but I cannot find any answer

I have a t47i (chrisking) and a 86,5 mm BB titanium frame and an eewings allroad. I used 2 x 2,5 bb spacers (1 on each side) and I used 2 spindle washers - I think 1mm from the fit kit 5 - it worked without preload on a 1x12 setup.

Now I want to change to a 2x12 setup with a cc spyder (with praxis works 32 48) and now on my drive side the t47i "meets" the spyder.

What should I change in order to keep a good chainline? Do you have any ideas?

Regards
Chris

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Sounds like incorrect installation. Certainly the crank arm interface of the spider should not be any thicker than a direct mount chainring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Aren't there different spyders with zero degree and 3 degree offsets to fit? Maybe you need the 3 degree offset to clear the T47i.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc