reducing 15mm thru axle fork to 12mm

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

joejack951

by joejack951

DaveK92 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:45 pm
Sorry this is a little difficult to do solo with a tape measure. The front axle won't go through the Zonda wheel but the rear wheel goes through fine. From what I understand 15mm was popular with mountain bikes, then early thru axle road wheels before 12mm was standard. Even gravel bikes seem to be 12mm, I don't see why they would go with 15mm given the limited options especially since the bike is a mid drive motor so upgrading wheels is an option...
I had another customer with the same bike reach out and have confirmed the kit which you'll need to convert this fork. If you are interested, send me a PM and I can share a link.

The relevant specs, for anyone interested, are a 10.5mm thread adapter, 10mm thru insert, and 126mm axle with 2mm spacer (same kit as the NS RAG+ and Nukeproof Digger).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mathieson84

by Mathieson84

Dt swiss 180 on fox float 32
Dt swiss 180 on fox float 32
Hi everyone. I just competed a build and used https://forkmods.com/shop from Australia to use dt swiss 180 12mm Road hubs on my fox float 15mm axle forks.
Wheelset is around 1500g and suitable for enduro riding. Bike is GT brian lopes. There is a spacer with O-ring which goes in tight to the fork then the star bolt at the opposite side from brakes is simmilar but threaded for new 12mm axle. Whole thing is alen bolt, not QR. Ridden it now some and feels perfect.

joejack951

by joejack951

Mathieson84 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:09 am
I just competed a build and used https://forkmods.com/shop from Australia to use dt swiss 180 12mm Road hubs on my fox float 15mm axle forks.
Wheelset is around 1500g and suitable for enduro riding. Bike is GT brian lopes. There is a spacer with O-ring which goes in tight to the fork then the star bolt at the opposite side from brakes is simmilar but threaded for new 12mm axle. Whole thing is alen bolt, not QR. Ridden it now some and feels perfect.
Awesome! However…

Looking at your pic, it appears as though you installed the o-ring’d part (thru hole insert) with the flange on the inside of the dropout. It should go on the outside in order to preserve the spacing between the dropouts. You’ll have issues with rotor alignment going between 15 and 12mm wheels if you leave it as is.

Mathieson84

by Mathieson84

Awesome! However…

Looking at your pic, it appears as though you installed the o-ring’d part (thru hole insert) with the flange on the inside of the dropout. It should go on the outside in order to preserve the spacing between the dropouts. You’ll have issues with rotor alignment going between 15 and 12mm wheels if you leave it as is.
[/quote]

Ah yes good spot! I've fixed it now! Attached is a photo of the whole bike, has to be sub 5kg but haven't weighed it. I've even mixed top end xtr gears with sram 10-42 cassette as to squeeze out extra grammes. Eq-lab seat, magnesium pedals. Going tubeless next and full xtr brakes, still got 400g to lose.
Attachments
IMG_20210804_135629.jpg

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

joejack951 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:11 pm
Axles arrive Monday! Domane Disc and Fox inserts on track for mid/late April. My apologies to anyone itching to get out on a new set of 12mm wheels with these bikes/forks. Nothing is moving as quickly as it normally does and it’s painful for me, too.

Moving forward, I’m going to begin including axles with all conversion kits as I think my prices are competitive enough that most will opt to just buy from me even when an alternative exists. Pricing will be as follows:

‘Standard’ kits: $50 (13, 15, or 19mm thread adapter; 10, 13, or 15mm thru hole insert; 130mm axle)
‘Not-So Standard’ kit: $55 (19mm thread adapter; 19mm thru hole insert; 140mm axle)
‘Beefy’ kit: $65 (24mm thread adapter; 24mm thru hole insert; 152mm axle)
3T Luteus II kit: $55 (3T hex threaded insert; 12mm thru hole insert; 130mm axle)
Focus Mares kit: $60 (Focus threaded insert; 15mm thru hole insert; 140mm axle)
Trek Domane Disc kit: $60 (Trek threaded insert; 19mm thru hole insert; 140mm axle)
Fox non-Boost kit: $70 (Fox threaded insert; 19mm thru hole insert; 152mm axle)

Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, I had a Lynskey customer help me work out a replacement insert for their PRO GR fork. The original fork came with a M14x2mm threaded axle....wth? Luckily, the insert is easily swapped. Not sure exactly when that will be available but it is coming. It will be $55 when available.
For the axle included with the standard kit, could I substitute with another brand's offering like The Robert Axle Project assuming the axle length (130mm) and thread (1.5) are correct?

joejack951

by joejack951

StiffWeenies wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:32 pm
For the axle included with the standard kit, could I substitute with another brand's offering like The Robert Axle Project assuming the axle length (130mm) and thread (1.5) are correct?
Yes, for certain kits there are alternative axles that can be used. The most common ‘15+10’ kit can be used with a 130mm Robert Axle Project axle with a 2mm spacer like the one I include (making it a 128mm thru axle). For a kit like the 3T I do not recommend the RAP thru axle because there is no relief under the head to clear the sharp corner on the thru hole insert in the kit. The spacer takes care of this in some other kits but the 3T kit needs the full length thru axle.

joejack951

by joejack951

Its been a while since I've posted here but I figured it was worth updating as I've recently added a whole slew of kits directed at the various open mold/unbranded 15x100 forks on the market. There are so many brands and options that I created the following video, and posted several options with their respective links below it. Hope this helps anyone with one of these forks and wanting to update. I'm also curious to hear if you have something that you don't see covered in that list.

FWIW, I also now have kits for the Van Dessel Motivus Maximus and the Grava Maple Sally. Both forks are quirky in their own regard but thanks to some patient customers I was able to work out a refined way of converting them.

Video link:

joejack951

by joejack951

I've created a sortable/searchable spreadsheet with Paypal links to buy essentially every fork conversion kit I offer. If you don't see what you need, it's likely that I can still help but you are a one-in-a-thousand request and thus missed the cut.

Link: https://sheet.zohopublic.com/sheet/publ ... d749f2b8d8

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

joejack951 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:37 pm

Weight should be about 30 grams.
You'd have to make that out of steel to keep it from failing.

trackflack

by trackflack

joejack951 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:03 pm
I've created a sortable/searchable spreadsheet with Paypal links to buy essentially every fork conversion kit I offer. If you don't see what you need, it's likely that I can still help but you are a one-in-a-thousand request and thus missed the cut.

Link: https://sheet.zohopublic.com/sheet/publ ... d749f2b8d8
This is just what I need, thanks

joejack951

by joejack951

Update: Check out the new https://jjpne.com for a (somewhat) organized collection of all of my conversion kits. It's brand new and I'm still fussing about with several details and adding new stuff to the site, but it should make locating a kit for your bike/fork a whole lot easier. I appreciate any feedback as well.