TRICKSTUFF Piccola brakes - thoughts

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

Ok, I would not call it expensive, considering what it is. Shimano has a long way to go to ever made something like this, sram should also improve brakes A LOT.
If they offered something like 500€ the pair, then maybe. These prices though, makes want to love XT.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marecej

by marecej

it's a different league honestly, never had a better brake
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

alber84

by alber84

It's an important outlay, but in all reviews these brakes put them through the roof. it is up to each of them whether it is worth it or not to pay once and have brakes for years or to be every two or three years changing brakes

marecej

by marecej

zscs wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:01 pm
zscs wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:29 am
I got super useful instructions from Trickstuff guys (thank you so much!), I'm going to share it with you - could be very useful later on. ;)

1: Remove the bolt in 1 with a 3 mm allen key
2: Remove the banjo by holding 2 with a 6 mm wrench and unscrewing the banjo from 2.
3: Pull 2 from hose
4: Cut hose
5: Put 2 back on hose
6: Widen the inside of the hose a little using a thorn
7: Hold 2 with 6 mm wrench and screw the banjo back in until banjo and 2 meet
8: Use a 3 mm allen key to mount the banjo back on the housing. there must be an o-ring seal on both sides of the banjo. The Banjo has 2 sides. If the head of the bolt is level with the banjo it is correct. if it is above the banjo, the bolt goes through the banjo from the wrong side.
9: Bleed your brake
10: Ride hard, have fun
hi, do you have the picture somewhere? it got removed from the site
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

Jaker

by Jaker

Is everyone who has these brakes still over the moon about their performance? I've been using Formula R1s for years now and always wondered if I was getting enough performance out of them? I'm not really interested in something heavier (XTR, SRAM, etc...). If that's the only option, I'll stick with my Formulas for now.

marecej

by marecej

yes, they are just superb
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

big brands have a lot to learn from the picola brakes. A lot. Formula R1 already had a similar piston position. Shimano copied the clamp system already, although oversized it. Hopefuly sram makes the move and makes a real decent xc brake, cause right now they are all uber heavy with no ned for that.

zscs

by zscs

I've been using Piccolas for over a year now, including 10 MTB races like Montafon M3, Salzkammergut-Trobhy (120km/B), Ischgl Ironbike, etc. Best brake set I have ever owned. I had a few brake sets (XTs, XTRs, SRAM, 2 sets of Magura MT8s, etc. etc.). Piccola is definitely playing in an another league. Super powerful, very reliable and consistent - almost in all cases.

I noticed two strange things.
The factory brake bads get worn very fast in muddy conditions. Lasts for 1200-1500kms normally, in wet conditions I had a set which completely got worn during only one muddy race! I started to use SRAM and Jagwire brake pads - not that powerful ones but at least these lasts much longer and the brake still performs far above the majority on 2-piston brakes.
Another issue: when I raced on Ischgl Ironbike (long distance) and went up to 2760 meters (and we had snowing there in early August!), bit point started to wander and sometimes the lever of the rear brake started drop almost to the grip. Pumping it 2-3 times solved the issue. When I descended to ~2000 meters the problem completely disappeared and never happened again (and never happened before).

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

The altitude seems a bit low to play a role but as a closed system, the altitude will affect brake and hose (the liquid dilate). I went from Leh (3400m) to Khardung pass (5350m) and the XT brake suffered, for the last 200m, pistons were in contact with discs. Little bit annoying considering the exercice involved... 8)

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

picolla is closed system or open system? where is the deposit? mineral oil or brake fluid?

Jaker

by Jaker

I like what I'm reading here. Looks like a set of Piccolas are now on my list for the next build. Thanks guys.

moyboy

by moyboy

Are you running the two piston or four piston calipers?
zscs wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:56 am
I've been using Piccolas for over a year now, including 10 MTB races like Montafon M3, Salzkammergut-Trobhy (120km/B), Ischgl Ironbike, etc. Best brake set I have ever owned. I had a few brake sets (XTs, XTRs, SRAM, 2 sets of Magura MT8s, etc. etc.). Piccola is definitely playing in an another league. Super powerful, very reliable and consistent - almost in all cases.

I noticed two strange things.
The factory brake bads get worn very fast in muddy conditions. Lasts for 1200-1500kms normally, in wet conditions I had a set which completely got worn during only one muddy race! I started to use SRAM and Jagwire brake pads - not that powerful ones but at least these lasts much longer and the brake still performs far above the majority on 2-piston brakes.
Another issue: when I raced on Ischgl Ironbike (long distance) and went up to 2760 meters (and we had snowing there in early August!), bit point started to wander and sometimes the lever of the rear brake started drop almost to the grip. Pumping it 2-3 times solved the issue. When I descended to ~2000 meters the problem completely disappeared and never happened again (and never happened before).

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Picolas are two piston

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

1llum4

by 1llum4

There is a 4 piston version of the piccola called piccola HD.

moyboy

by moyboy

That's correct, it's the c41 calipers on the dirtissima. also the 2 piston has been upgraded now to the c22 models for 2020.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com