The weight of Anthem?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kentkreitler

by kentkreitler

How much does the frame of an anthem weigh?

Nicolas

by Nicolas

I think it depends pretty much on the size of it. :wink:
Think, type, speak... In that order...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

20" 2448 grams with shock.

Achilles

by Achilles

2440gr in M (18") with headeset cups, der. hanger, bottle cage bolts, seatclamp, rear shock.
Now up on the hill is where you find us…..

kentkreitler

by kentkreitler

Anybody built a really lite bike with this frame?

grover

by grover

a guy at a race recently had one that he was claiming was 9.3kg - not unbelievable.

kentkreitler

by kentkreitler

Any pictures of a light Anthem?
I'm probably going to build me an Anthem, but how light it will be is written in the stars. Either I go for a stock Anthem 1 and modify it or i build from scratch. Any suggestions? My biggest concern is which fork to use.

Wal

by Wal

A true WW will always build from scratch. Not the cheapest way, but you get every part exactly as you want it, whereas a factory build will always have some compromises. That said, the Anthem 1 is a very well-specced bike, but you can go much lighter relatively easily with your own build and if you're prepared to put in some slog surfing around the net and watching eBay for bargains, you could end up with a sub-10kg Anthem for not much more moolah than a stock Anthem 1, which weighs over 11kg.

As for the fork, it seems that either 100mm or 80mm forks will work with this frame, as Aussie Anthems have 100mm forks and Euro ones have 80mm (CMIIW). If you can't choose between 80 and 100mm, you could go for an FRM Airway 90, which is as effective at lightening wallets as bikes. Personally I'd go for 100mm and put up with marginally slower steering, and for that the Pace RC39 gets my WW vote. But miles of text have been written on fork choice on this and other forums - you do your research and make your decision.

Wal

kentkreitler

by kentkreitler

Yes it's nice specified, just converting to Stan's would make it sub 11kg wouldn't it?

iJaz

by iJaz

kentkreitler wrote:Yes it's nice specified, just converting to Stan's would make it sub 11kg wouldn't it?

sounds strange since the weight of the rim strip and sealant are about the same as the weight of the tube :!:
of course, maybe giant are using some kind of heavy weight down hill tubes? :shock:

grover

by grover

you'll probably also find they're specced with wire bead tyres - i know the trance 1 in oz comes with wire bead bulldog airlights - 660-670 grams.

kentkreitler

by kentkreitler

But you don't need rim strip on CrossMax now do you?

grover

by grover

you don't need one but both stan's and eclipse's system's recommend it as standard tyres don't have as strong a bead as ust tyres. the rimstrip helps to prevent the burping/rolling of rim of tyres.

kentkreitler

by kentkreitler

My Racing Ralph's are so tight on the rim that i need a tool to remove them. This is the first tire I have needed a tool to remove since the beginning of time. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chrism

by chrism

Very strange. My RRs are dead easy to get on and off by hand on my Olympic rims. The secret there is that the rim has a nice deep centre well, so as long as you get the bead in that the tyre comes off easily. Crossmaxes (as referred to below) are similar, from experience of a teammates wheels this weekend. However unfortunately the person who had a puncture and needed a new tube during the race was on the stock rims which came with his Scott. I found out why he'd snapped tyre levers when changing tyres pre-race, as these rims (not sure who they're made by) have no appreciable centre well at all, and I had to resort to tyre levers despite never normally using them myself - very poor rim design IMHO. So it's not the tyre, but the rim.
No scales on the trails