Look 585 and HSC 5 fork

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sparta

by Sparta

I´m a bit interested in this combo as I like the style, geometry and weight of the set. Thing is I´m 89 kg and can "sprint" 950 W sitting on the trainer.! My current setup is a very stiff alu frame at 1400 g. Now the numbers from tour mag isn´t everything there is to say about a bike, but the look tested a bit poorly. Does anybody on the heavy side have any experience with this frames riding quality and / or the fork (as I´ve also considered just upgrading my frame with that).
Sic transit gloria mundi

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

I have 2 sets HSC5SL forks and HSC4's on another bike. I've never had any problem with them and I'm about the same weight as you. They are a good fast fork and tend to get good reviews.

Sleg8

by Sleg8

Sparta wrote:I´m a bit interested in this combo as I like the style, geometry and weight of the set. Thing is I´m 89 kg and can "sprint" 950 W sitting on the trainer.! My current setup is a very stiff alu frame at 1400 g. Now the numbers from tour mag isn´t everything there is to say about a bike, but the look tested a bit poorly. Does anybody on the heavy side have any experience with this frames riding quality and / or the fork (as I´ve also considered just upgrading my frame with that).

With that power, sitting in the saddle, you have the ability to go pro!
"All I ask is the heavens above and the road below"

Westbank

by Westbank

What numbers are you talking about ? The one in the latest Tour Magazin in which they tested frames under 1000 gr ?

If not, can you post those numbers.

BTW. The Look 585 is a great frameset. The frame may not be the lightest one, but the HCS 5 SL is a great fork. It should be stiff enough for you.

950 Watts (seated) on your trainer ? For few seconds I guess.

FelixOr

by FelixOr

Sleg8 wrote:
Sparta wrote:I´m a bit interested in this combo as I like the style, geometry and weight of the set. Thing is I´m 89 kg and can "sprint" 950 W sitting on the trainer.! My current setup is a very stiff alu frame at 1400 g. Now the numbers from tour mag isn´t everything there is to say about a bike, but the look tested a bit poorly. Does anybody on the heavy side have any experience with this frames riding quality and / or the fork (as I´ve also considered just upgrading my frame with that).

With that power, sitting in the saddle, you have the ability to go pro!

come on :roll: :roll: .........

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

If its OK for Thor, should be OK for you.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

I have a buddy who is similar weight... 190-195 lbs... and he loves his 55cm 585.

As for posting your watt output on a public forum... :roll:

homegrown

by homegrown

Yeah well, one time I benched pressed 135 lbs! Can't say anything about the look except I wish I had one.

peterpen

by peterpen

I think that if you're 89kg and currently ride a 1400g stiff aluminum frame, you might find the 585 a bit flexy, at least in comparison. It is not the stiffest frame Look makes, the 555 and maybe the 486 will be stiffer. The question is, are you willing to give up some stiffness for reduced weight?

I love my 585 - think it's the perfect compromise between light weight, stiffness, and comfort. The fork is outstanding - very stiff, but still tracks well through bumpy, high speed corners. But then I'm over 20kg lighter than you.

Sparta

by Sparta

Thanks for the response, perhaps I should keep the alu frame for now and just change the fork. I have never tried an ultralightweight frame, but hated my old steel frame where you could feel the BB flex with every pedalstroke.

I think that if you're 89kg and currently ride a 1400g stiff aluminum frame, you might find the 585 a bit flexy, at least in comparison. It is not the stiffest frame Look makes, the 555 and maybe the 486 will be stiffer. The question is, are you willing to give up some stiffness for reduced weight?

Does anyone have stiffness numbers for the 555?

If its OK for Thor, should be OK for you.

Is it really a 585 he is riding or a rebrand?

950 Watts (seated) on your trainer ? For few seconds I guess.

Off course, I mean when they say Petacchi does 1600 W they are not talking about his threshold power :?

I have a buddy who is similar weight... 190-195 lbs... and he loves his 55cm 585.

As for posting your watt output on a public forum... Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the constructive part of your input :) As for mentioning the power I don´t get the problem, it´s not like the measurements of my private parts! 950 w isn´t special as max power it´s just above 10w/kg, I bet half the members on this board could get a higher w/kg max.
It´s regularly brought up in the training forum and it´s in my opinion a good way of telling who you are in terms of cycling ability. My profile is 34 father of two with full time job and new house, who manages to get about 6-8 hours riding a week, but I am 89 kg which gives special needs in a frame.
Sic transit gloria mundi

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Sparta wrote:Is it really a 585 he is riding or a rebrand?

Why rebadged frame, the 585 is strong enough... there is very few re-badged frame by the way.

HakanC

by HakanC

Westbank wrote:What numbers are you talking about ? The one in the latest Tour Magazin in which they tested frames under 1000 gr ?

If not, can you post those numbers.

Perhaps he is talking about these numbers from Tour 2 2005
Read more at:
http://www.tour-magazin.de/to/tour_arti ... &subnav=21

Sybarite

by Sybarite

The white 585 weighs more than the black one....

Westbank

by Westbank

Sybarite wrote:The white 585 weighs more than the black one....

Paint also add weight
It seems like the paint is really thick. It looks like it's gonna crack. I prefer the nude carbon finish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Joe King

by Joe King

The question is, are you willing to give up some stiffnesss

Does anyone have stiffness numbers for the 555?

Off course, I mean when they say Petacchi does 1600 W they are not talking about his threshold power :?

My profile is 34 father of two with full time job and new house, who manages to get about 6-8 hours riding a week, but I am 89 kg which gives special needs in a frame.

Bi or straight? Are you guys some kind of ho-mo-sexuals?
Is this some kinda bi-gay dating forum or what?

I'm outa here..gezzz :shock: