Fair Wheel Crank Review #5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Is up, http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topi ... eview-5-2/

The new review includes a lot more of the nerdy science stuff that most of us seem to enjoy, especially thanks to our new editor/contributor. New cranks include Thm M3 and Dura Ace 9000 as well as others.

I should also mention that we've got a few other test machines designed and plan on branching out to do a much wider range of product testing, so long as people want to read it. Leave a reply on the crank thread and let us know if you'd like to see other tests.

KB

by KB

Jason - as always a very good review. thx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

Looks good, and saves me a ton of Money to see that there are really only marginal gains over my Rotor...

What about this new carbon tubed gem everyone keeps drooling over, is there any chance you'll be able to test one of those in the near future?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Awesome! These are always fun to read.

One curiosity though - why the older Red crank? (someone had to ask..)

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

mjduct wrote:Looks good, and saves me a ton of Money to see that there are really only marginal gains over my Rotor...
What about this new carbon tubed gem everyone keeps drooling over, is there any chance you'll be able to test one of those in the near future?

We're waiting for a production version to test the Ciamillo.

Imaking20 wrote:Awesome! These are always fun to read.
One curiosity though - why the older Red crank? (someone had to ask..)

We couldn't get a Red22 in time for this round. It takes several weeks to find the time to get everything together and tested so this actual testing was done almost 2 months ago. We're already putting together round 6 which will have Red22 as well as a new model of a crank that has been around for a while(sorry can't say more). Plus hopefully a few more boutique cranks.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks Jason for another excellent review.

Isn't the Red22 crank essentially the same as the Red 2012+ Exogram crank? (or am I mistaken?). They're both Exogram and aside from some graphics there doesn't seem to be any significant change from Exogram 2012 to Red22. However there was a significant change from the old Red crankset, which you tested, to the Exogram crankset.
That crank (2012+) has been readily available.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Pren, you're right that they are suppose to be the same, but someone at Sram told me that there were some running changes and we just wanted to make sure we got the latest version.

claus

by claus

For the Rotor 3D you list a Q-factor of 145, but Rotor's web site states 148. Is the former a typo or is it specific to some version (e.g., different from Rotor's Power meter crankset?)

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I double checked our notes and we recorded it as a 145. So possibly in the last year they've gone wider, or it's due to a difference in the way we measure vs the way they measure.

deltree

by deltree

madcow wrote: We're already putting together round 6 which will have Red22 as well as a new model of a crank that has been around for a while(sorry can't say more). Plus hopefully a few more boutique cranks.

I know you can't say but I'd love it to be a Cannondale SISL2 with spider-rings.

Would be awesome to see both the first version and the new one compared aswell.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

madcow wrote:[We're already putting together round 6 which will have Red22 as well as a new model of a crank that has been around for a while(sorry can't say more). Plus hopefully a few more boutique cranks.
So it sounds like this new model of a crank that has been around for a while is not a boutique crank.
On May 28, 2013 in Ciamillo Gravitas crank, review and poll, madcow wrote:We have finished the latest round of testing and will be releasing it hopefully later this week. (Thm M3, Tune Smartfoot, DuraAce 9000 and a new Kcnc crank.) Hopefully we'll have the Gravitas to go into our next round which will have the Sram 22 as well as the new upcoming Campag and production EE.
Campag is not boutique, so is the mystery crank the new upcoming Campag crank (whatever that might be)?

eric

by eric

Nice work as usual!

In addtion to a Cannondale SISL of some flavor, I'd like to see some of the power meter only cranks tested. For example the Sram Quark cranks.
They are popular and have different construction from Sram's regular cranks.

I'd also like to see an estimate of the power returned (positive or negative) by the flexing crank.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Came for a crank review, got a thorough schooling in a lot more to do with cranks.

As always Jason, excellent work.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

HammerTime2 wrote:
madcow wrote:[We're already putting together round 6 which will have Red22 as well as a new model of a crank that has been around for a while(sorry can't say more). Plus hopefully a few more boutique cranks.
So it sounds like this new model of a crank that has been around for a while is not a boutique crank.
On May 28, 2013 in Ciamillo Gravitas crank, review and poll, madcow wrote:We have finished the latest round of testing and will be releasing it hopefully later this week. (Thm M3, Tune Smartfoot, DuraAce 9000 and a new Kcnc crank.) Hopefully we'll have the Gravitas to go into our next round which will have the Sram 22 as well as the new upcoming Campag and production EE.
Campag is not boutique, so is the mystery crank the new upcoming Campag crank (whatever that might be)?

Campag have new cranks in the works 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

I'd still love to see the current Super Record in the next round please.