record 11 right thumb shifter won't move

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

r_mutt

by r_mutt

i have an 2012 record group, and occasionally, my right side thumb shifter will freeze. it won't budge at all. shifting up a gear with the paddle seems to free it and then i can resume shifting the rear derailleur down the gears again with the thumb shifter.

anyone familiar with this issue?

Miller

by Miller

Are you by accident pushing in the other shift lever? If that is moved in even slightly it blocks the action of the thumb shifter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r_mutt

by r_mutt

i can't imagine that i am. i've been on campagnolo for the past 6 years and this has never happened before.

savechief

by savechief

I have the exact same issue as you do on a 2012 Chorus group. Every so often, the right thumb shifter will not budge. Shifting to a larger cog on the cassette will free it up. I have not yet figured out what the issue is, so I'm pretty much no help to you other than letting you know that you're not the only one.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

r_mutt

by r_mutt

google seems to be of no help either. i've had 2 mechanic look at it with no results.

wingguy

by wingguy

r_mutt wrote:google seems to be of no help either. i've had 2 mechanic look at it with no results.

I'm with Miller. If the other lever is even minutely pressed, or hung up after the previous shift, the thumb leverwill not move.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I have a 2012 SR which does the same thing all the time.

Sorry I can't be much help. I have had it checked by my LBS and they only say what has been said....which isn't much help, I guess.

I had 2011 SR (11 speed) & 2008-09 Record (10 speed) with out ever having a problem.

All I can do is shift in the opposite direction and it fixes itself.......it's a bit frustrating.

You could have your LBS send it it under warrentee, but Campagnolo may not see the problem.
Your not alone.

I have double-checked and re-checked to see if I am putting any pressure on the other lever, with out improvement, so that hasen't been a solution for me.

GASer

by GASer

Same experience with my 2012 SR. Occurs from time to time and then goes away. I tried to lub the mech under the hood with some kind of WD40.
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Your thumb button may be worn and in need of replacement. In its current condition, it does not always fully retract.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

HammerTime2 wrote:Your thumb button may be worn and in need of replacement. In its current condition, it does not always fully retract.

the shifters are practically new with less than 700 miles on it.

kode54

by kode54

my 2012 SR11 also hangs in a similar fashion. like carbon 2329 said...' shift in the opposite direction...' and that clears it up. doesn't happen all the time, but on a 60 mile ride...it may happen 1-2 times at best.

i've checked all my cables and housing...changing it out twice. seems that its a mechanical issue within the shifters itself. tried everything...and finally gave up...since i know how to clear it from getting stuck.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

I think it is something of a feature of the newer (red 11) shifters.
They shift cleaner and easier but locks up very easy.
The older 11 (white 11) is far less sensitive.

I have the problem all the time, when riding on the flats and my fingers easily doze off.
In the mountain it never happens (holding mostly on top of handlebar).
Campagnolos shifter have always locked up if you press both levers simultaneously, but nowhere near as
easily or as hard.
Max Gravity, unfairly treated by gravity!

r_mutt

by r_mutt

well, this is not good. it's a big problem if you are racing.

as i build up my second bike, i am having second thoughts on Record.

ticou

by ticou

I have it occasionally but it doesn't bother me.

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

I have the same issue on my 2013 SR11. As the other posters have said, shifting the other way seems to clear it up. It's annoying if you ask me. Can the problem be isolated to the shifter (ie nothing to do with cables and rear derailleur)? If so, I might just send these back and replace them. If Campy bucks up with warranty, happy days, I'll have a spare set.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com