Kask Mojito & Limar Ultralight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vala

by vala

Has anyone any experience of both of these helmets?
Unfortunately I cannot find a local stockists of Limar helmets however my LBS has got some Kask Mojito's in stock I could try.
These 2 helmets I have found are 2 of the most popular whilst I've been searching for helmets for narrow/small/skinny heads so I'd like to know how they compare. I'm hoping that they allow the head fit more into the helmet rather then sit just sit on top.

Can anyone help?

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I've just smashed up an Ultralight. The plastic adjuster straps on the sides just clip on and they came undone in the crash. I still live to tell the tale of only remembering the medic asking my name and address and a broken collarbone. All in all, I think it's pretty basic construction (not to say it's ineffective!) compared to say a Lazer. I also smashed up a Spesh (diffrent race a few months earlier); now that looked like it smashed up real easy. I'm not likely to buy another Ultralight (it is light at under 200g for a Small, weightweenies take note!) or a Spesh.
Sorry no experience on Kask but they look like they're more robustly constructed.
I'll take a closer look at a Lazer next. Better not to be too ww on the head. You don't plan to crash but you should be prepared. Heck I didn't love unequivocally either of the two helmets (eg thinking of other helemts soon after purchase), and look what has happened.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vala

by vala

shimmeD - thanks for the reply and GWS! Which Lazer are you referring to?

shimmeD

by shimmeD

You're welcome, I'm happy to help but I don't wish to be a crash test dummy.
Helium (265g claimed) or Genesis (290g). Lazer is reputed to have one of the best retention system - wire all around and superb adjustment. The ww in me says it's nearly 100g or 50%heavier than the outdated (my opinion) Ultralight.
Less is more.

nfecyle

by nfecyle

I have crashed with KASK K10 at about 26-27 mph. The helmet held up very well and stayed on my head whole time. The impact felt soft on my head, but afterwards I could see the compressed styrofoam around the impacted point. I love the leather straps on KASK helmet. I would buy KASK helmet again. For now I am using Lazer Helium now, Large size because I wanted different look. I liked my KASK better than the helium. The helium feels heavier, and the magnetic buckle is too bulky and have sharp corner which bug me. The retention system is good but I don't feel its superior to my KASK. I think a good fitting helmet eliminates pressure points regardless what kind of retention system it has.

philly

by philly

i'd recently tried on the kask mojito and the vertigo as i was also in the market for a lower profile helmet. I found the mojito to be really comfortable and lightweight - didnt end up getting a new helmet, but was really impressed nonetheless. dont think you'd regret getting a kask at all.

clarkson

by clarkson

I have tried both of those, although not spent much time with either. I found the fit of the Limar was more like a cap - sitting on top of my head. The adjustments in the Kask allowed it to cradle much more of my head, down over the occipital bone. I prefer the latter, but I'm sure people would go either way.

imageking

by imageking

I have a KASK vertigo it fits really well, but I find that the rear of the arms of Oakley sunglasses clash with the rear retaining system
understand that SKY team had theirs modified .
Oltre XR4 SR11
2xParlee Z1 Gloss SR11
Enigma Etape Ti SR11 +rack
Colnago K.Zero - LW12spoke/LW Disc
Pinarello Opera 90's steel Rec10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvincere

by dvincere

I've owned a KASK Mojito as part of a team sponsorship discount. I've tried out a Limar Ultralight. When it came time to replace my Mojito, I bought a Giro Aeon. It's lighter, better ventilated, and I feel it's more comfortable. I also think it looks better especially on my small frame and skinny face.