Bontrager XXX seat post

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

02GF74

by 02GF74

Got one of these, 31.6 x 400 that weighs 171g !!! :shock:

I plan to fit it to a FS bike, Ibis Mojo SL and not being the lightest rider out there, should I be concerned about breakage? Post will be 1 cm from min insertion so a lot of leverage.

From a review:
Great for road use; off-road probably best restricted to use by waif-like cross-country whippets. :?

Big, rough riders may want to steer clear. Bontrager lists this post on both its road and mountain bike component websites, although in the blurb it does say it’s for “road use only”, which may be worrying for some.

Bontrager doesn’t give a rider weight limit, though. Our 80kg road test pilot had no worries, with thicker post walls at the front and rear compared to the sides helping to keep flex within normal limits.

Many Trek pro cross-country racers already use this post, so if you're hitting the dirt it’s up to you to decide whether you’re light/careful enough to live in harmony with this lightweight carbon masterpiece.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racer1

by racer1

I have 3 of these posts and I am 205 lbs. They have held up well plus if you bought it from a dealer you get a 3 year warranty. I have run mine on both hard tails and full suspension with quite a bit of post showing and have not had one issue. Do make sure you torque the seat rail ears to the specified 16NM or you will have a lot of creaking and slipping. Also make sure you have 8 to 10 cm of the post in your frame to make sure you do not damage your frame or post. Enjoy.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

racer1 wrote:I have 3 of these posts and I am 205 lbs. They have held up well plus if you bought it from a dealer you get a 3 year warranty. I have run mine on both hard tails and full suspension with quite a bit of post showing and have not had one issue. Do make sure you torque the seat rail ears to the specified 16NM or you will have a lot of creaking and slipping. Also make sure you have 8 to 10 cm of the post in your frame to make sure you do not damage your frame or post. Enjoy.

It is actually 2 years, anyways I ran one of these on my HiFi for a couple years and never had any issues. Haven't seen any come into the shop broken either. A torque wrench is your friend with any carbon seatpost.