Fast light training wheels.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Looking for a new set of wheels but not having much success with searches. Looking for clincher set that has some aero and is fairly light, around 1300g or so. Would need to take a bit a rain as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

1300g is pretty light especially if you want aero too.

For example, XR270s on BHS ultralight hubs (280g) is around 1420g using 20/24 sapim laser spokes.
You could use XR200s but they need more spokes to make a stiff wheel, and they're not even the small amount of aero that the XR270s are.

edesigner

by edesigner

These come in at just over 1400

http://www.mavicusa.com/en/product/whee ... syrium-SLR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The thing is not sure why you would need a training set so light. Do you have super smooth roads where you live? That is what gives me pause about that.

jbucky1

by jbucky1

deleted, please keep the for sale items in that forum. thanks
Other than that check out stans Alpha 340 Pro Wheelset I think around 1300 on an alloy clincher, with nothing esoteric.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

How much do you weigh? What type of terrain are you usually riding?

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I'm 6'3" at 180 to 190 lbs. The roads are hilly with mountainous stuff as well. Lots of out of corner accelerations. Roads can be a bit rough with the occasional pot holes but for the most part pretty smooth. These are for fast group rides.

I have some old early first gen Campy Eurus clinchers but the bearings are shot. They are so sluggish compared to my tubulars. Not sure what the weight of these old Eurus wheels are but I'm sure wheel designs have progressed a lot since they came out.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

At your weight, you should go with a rim that is a bit stiffer. With that said, maybe take a look at the Velocity A23. It is reasonably priced, and for its weight it is pretty rigid. Regarding the hubs, maybe consider going with some Tunes, or wait for the new Alchemys to come out. Either of those should help you to achieve your weight range, or get close at least.

theremery

by theremery

Unrealistic, unless you are super gear-friendly and even then, the roads don't sound ideal. You'd be talking Dash or Extralite or top model Tune hubs (you could use an AC front hub to save $$ but it won't cope with the rain) on AC rims and pretty flash spokes. That'd need a high spoke count at your weight.
Less aero=Stans rims. Regardless.....at that mass for a reliable clincher, either some weight or a serious dollar sacrifice will need to be made, I suspect.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Good points. The last thing I want is a wheel collapsing under the weight of my huge carcass!

But I'm seeing a range of clinchers out there from around 1100grams on up to 1700 or so. Spada Oxygeno comes to mind.

I know these wheels are not realistic, so I'm hoping for some recommendations.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Doesn't the farsports 38mm carbon clincher come in at ~1250g?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Some of them do. The set I ordered were just north of 1400

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am 77 kg and my light trainers are XR-300 on novatec hubs with 28F/28R spoking (can't buy 24H Xr-200's in the U.K have to buy from aboard). These weigh 1362g. With lighter hubs they would be 1300g but I would not want to build them for someone heavier than me. Also I do not trash gear and more. I have learnt to sympathetic to it.

Given the OP's weight I would suggest the H+ sons Archetype (25mm deep) or Velocity A23. If you are kind to wheels 24F/28R should be fine especially on the Archetype rim.

The DT Swiss RR415 28F/28R should also work (if you are not a wheel trasher). Build these with CX-ray or laser spokes/alloy nips and Novatec A291 F482 hubs then a wheelset with weight of 1420g is possible. Go lighter with the lighter hubs suggested. None of these rims are aero though. For Aero and low weight in clincher form the only alloy rims that measure up are Kinlin Xr270's or 300's. 1400g wheelsets are doable with these with the right hubs. I think a 1300g alloy clincher is a tall ask unless Ti spokes are used and some very light weight hubs which may not be that reiable for training wheels.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

bm0p700f wrote:Given the OP's weight I would suggest the H+ sons Archetype (25mm deep) or Velocity A23. If you are kind to wheels 24F/28R should be fine especially on the Archetype rim.

Just curious, why do you recommend these rims? I see alot of people also recommending these rims, whats so special about them?

My wheelbuilding mentor who's about 80kg has always uses an Ultegra(Or record)/Open Pro as their trainer. Its neither light nor aero, but its bombproof
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

eric

by eric

verycreativeusername wrote:Doesn't the farsports 38mm carbon clincher come in at ~1250g?

I like my Farsports wheels/rims but I don't think they're durable enough for training. I don't like using carbon clinchers for training.... I do too many steep technical descents and don't want to worry about brake overheating. But my theory is that for training I care more about reliability- if I have to bail on a training ride because I broke a wheel, I can't make up for that ride later (due to work and family). If I'm two seconds slower up a climb because my wheels weigh 200g more, well, who cares? I should have been pedalling harder anyhow.

For races of course it's different.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zentrumsounds

by zentrumsounds

Not sure where you are based but I also have a first generation Eurus wheelset which has good hubs but I think the rims are now in need of replacement. If yours are first generation then it is likely the rims are on their way out too. If not then maybe I could let you have the hubs from my set.

Why not get a set of Shimano Dura Ace C24. The 7900 are pretty good price wise now as long as you won't need 11speed and they around 1400g. I've seen these for about 650 euros so thats what I'm looking at getting next to replace the Eurus (2003... god knows how many km!).