Worried by industry pro disk brake propaganda filtering through cycle media

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thumper88

by thumper88

totalcompactroad wrote:The bicycle industry is a business at the end of they day, their aim is to make more money.

Seeing disc brakes become prevalent will sell more bikes. Fact.

I'd agree they are by no means perfect at the moment, I work in a bike shop and we see a lot more issues with hydraulic disc's than we ever have with rim brakes. As we get a few generations in they will be more reliable and lighter etc.

You could also argue the pushing of road disc is a by-product of the strict rules the UCI have regarding weight limits and frame design. If manufacturers can't innovate with those two things they are going to have to find something else new to add interest.

This sounds like the voice of someone who knows.
Just curious, which issues with discs are the most common that are popping up with bikes coming through your shop?
I know Ive found road disc a pain the in butt to bleed perfectly, and it seems like pads wear pretty fast.... but haven't had anything break or leak....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

totalcompactroad

by totalcompactroad

thumper88 wrote:
This sounds like the voice of someone who knows.
Just curious, which issues with discs are the most common that are popping up with bikes coming through your shop?
I know Ive found road disc a pain the in butt to bleed perfectly, and it seems like pads wear pretty fast.... but haven't had anything break or leak....

Shimano road disc's seem to have had issues with the oil leaking through and contaminating the pads, On top of that we have the usual squealing/juddering/fading etc which I'm assuming isn't just limited to road disc. But we had a lot less back when they came stock with mechanical disc brakes (TRP spyres)

MikeD

by MikeD

But disc brakes are the answer for the heat related and crappy braking problems of carbon rims :-)

MikeD

by MikeD

wwnick wrote:i just read about the death of mp3 today, no more devices will be licenced to play mp3. the consumer has no say in the matter whatsoever. sound familiar?

not sent from a P.O.S standards incompatible iPhone/Android ;-)

Amazon still sells music in mp3 format. As Mark Twain once said, "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

wwnick wrote:i just read about the death of mp3 today, no more devices will be licenced to play mp3. the consumer has no say in the matter whatsoever. sound familiar?

That's because the patent has expired and now anyone can use the format for free - a licence is no longer required. The format is not dead (but has, arguably, been superseded).

MikeD

by MikeD

raisinberry777 wrote:

That's because the patent has expired and now anyone can use the format for free - a licence is no longer required. The format is not dead (but has, arguably, been superseded).

It's the only universal format that's supported on all devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

MikeD wrote:But disc brakes are the answer for the heat related and crappy braking problems of carbon rims :-)

This is my reason for moving to a disc brake bike

Happened on final decent Image

Bike is 7.2kgs including pedals and on original 1635gm wheels. No WW but still some scope...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

totalcompactroad wrote:
Shimano road disc's seem to have had issues with the oil leaking through and contaminating the pads, On top of that we have the usual squealing/juddering/fading etc which I'm assuming isn't just limited to road disc. But we had a lot less back when they came stock with mechanical disc brakes (TRP spyres)

From your perspective, How does TRP Spyre perform in the grand scheme of things? Based on riders feedback, they work fine with Yokozuna compressionless housing, lighter, simpler and less maintenance.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

jeffy

by jeffy

^ i have used spare / hydro / juin r1 and shimano road hydraulic.

juin with compressionless housing is closest to shimano, but shimano significantly better imho.

wwnick

by wwnick

raisinberry777 wrote:

actually the patents relating to MP3 are still current. the overseers have chosen to not licence MP3 any more.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

wwnick wrote:
raisinberry777 wrote:

actually the patents relating to MP3 are still current. the overseers have chosen to not licence MP3 any more.

Indeed, you are correct :oops: Although it turns out Fraunhofer's patent expires in December, so it was close to it in any case.

wwnick

by wwnick

raisinberry777 wrote:
wwnick wrote:
raisinberry777 wrote:

Indeed, you are correct :oops: Although it turns out Fraunhofer's patent expires in December, so it was close to it in any case.

yes, i must admit I should be a little embarrassed too, being so pedantic as to quote a patent expiring in less than 6 months. and maybe my original point was wrong, and they have stopped licensing it as indeed it will be "open" soon and there will be no future profit to be made :oops:

anyhow, still, disc brakes do not belong on racing bikes :D

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Squashednuts wrote:
MikeD wrote:But disc brakes are the answer for the heat related and crappy braking problems of carbon rims :-)

Bike is 7.2kgs including pedals and on original 1635gm wheels. No WW but still some scope...

97 kg, lightweight clinchers, col du glandon, alp d'huez and galibier. No problem? And saw alot of people on disc brakes with problems on the decents. So maybe it's the rider?

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Nejmann wrote:
Squashednuts wrote:

97 kg, lightweight clinchers, col du glandon, alp d'huez and galibier. No problem? And saw alot of people on disc brakes with problems on the decents. So maybe it's the rider?

Along the lines of "a bad workman always blames his tools"...not biting
You maybe right, may be the rider.

But isn't that just an argument for using discs?[emoji6]

Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Disc brakes, brake pad drag (wearing brake discs)
This is why Hope made RX4.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.