Foot pain with Sidi cycling shoes

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KH1

by KH1

For best results with foot pain go see a podiatrist who specializes in cycling/sports. I had the same problem and ended up solving it with orthotics. My right foot was slightly rolled out and putting extra stress on the outside of the foot through every downstroke. I also had a metatarsal pain in my left foot (which is smaller than the right and most of the problem was caused from pulling up in the shoe) which was also greatly reduced (Not entirely vanquished unfortunately) with much experimentation and custom worked orthotics.
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scico

by scico

Johnny Rad wrote:The more I "fat" out my Sidi 6.6's, the better they get.

Early in the season, I had what I think is the same side of the foot pain being described above. It was odd when the pain would occur. Sometimes short rides, other time long rides and sometimes never. I used shoe horns to stretch them out a bit, which has worked well.

I wore Sidi Megas, but found them too wide after 2-3 seasons. That's why I'm in the non-Megas now. They were tight in the begninning, but have only gotten better over time.

I'm all for trying new shoes this coming season, like Bonts or Specialized BG.

What did you use to stretch shoes? :noidea:

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Ok... I have the same (or similar) issue as TiDude..

If the pain on the top of the foot, near the ankle, where the big sidi buckle latches then you are like me. I get irritated red marks on my foot and even produces bumps on my foot where the buckle has the most grip on my foot. For me, I think it is related to having flat feet. This means that you have to really use the bottom straps more... or rather, the big strap carries more of the load on your foot/shoe connection (because the rest of the foot is so low in the shoe). To remedy this, I have 2 insoles (regular Sidi insole on bottom, Specialized Body Geometry on top ... which was actually from a Specialized Pro shoe that someone mentioned). It helps, but I probably need 3 insoles to get my arches up to the "normal" height.

Anyway, if you have flat feet, TiDude, this might be worth a try.
Good luck
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

While the shoes may indeed not fit properly, and wedges, orthodics, checking cleat bolts are all good points to pursue, I would also look at your Q factor. many people seem bent on getting the narrowest Q factor possible and I think for some that may put the foot in an incorrect position. As I underastand your pain in on the outer side of both feet which may indicate that your feett, in trying to get to a more efficient position, are trying to push to a wider stance and coming up against the shoe. Try widening the cleats a few mm, if you can, and see if that helps.

jlok

by jlok

A physiotherapist specialized in sports injuries solved my knee pain as he found out that my arches would "collapse" when pressured. From that point the whole leg try to compensate it in motion and caused abnormal knee movement during pedaling.

Footbeds with proper support solved the issue. I'm now wearing Bont Vaypor+ 2016 and Lake Carbon heat mouldable insoles. Did a 1100km 8-day Taiwan tour without issue.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10