Smart scales and HRM advice needed.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

RANT 1.
Bloody @withings smart scales stuck in an endless cycle of factory reset looks like after reading online help it could be potential water ingress. But i mean these things are bathroom scales surely they have some level of moisture resistance?!? They wernt cheap around £150 quid or something so id expect them to last a few years or is that delusional?

RANT 2.
Another @wahoofitnessofficial hrm is playing silly b*llocks and kindly started reading my HR last night around 30/50bpm to low. Again when ive opened them up before u can see corrosion inside.. I mean REALLY?!?! I just dont see how this is fit for purpose.. Does @wahoofitnessofficial not expect me to sweat whilst im killing myself on the trainer?!!

So do you guys have any good recommendations for me?

Adam

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Ive ordered these

https://uk.eufy.com/products/t9150111

Will report backImage

Basso Diamante eps 12

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Very happy with the Garmin eco-system.
Garmin Edge 1030
Garmin HRM-dual monitor
Garmin Smart Scale
Garmin Vivoavtice 4S
(Garmin) Tacx Neo 2T
+ other accessories

Using Garmin connect on the to sync everything between each device. Only negative is that the weight uploaded to Garmin Connect is NOT transferred to Zwift nor Strava

DirtiousDirte

by DirtiousDirte

I'm in agreement with the Garmin ecosystem.

Garmin Edge 530
Garmin HRM-dual monitor
Garmin Smart Scale
Garmin Forerunner 75xt (or whatever it is)
+ other accessories

I did end up having an issue with one of the heart rate straps and I bought a cheap one off of Amazon that has been good. The actual HRM pod has been fine except for the tiny screws.

pushpush

by pushpush

Scale:
I'm pretty happy with my Withings scale. I've had a couple of times (over the course of YEARS - I purchased it in 2016) where it behaves strangely and pisses me off. This seems to correlate with low battery before it says the battery is low.

HRM:
I use both Garmin HRM Dual and a Polar H10. When the Garmin dies, I'll replace it with another Polar. I gave my Wahoo HRMs away to friends. Wahoo were great about replacing them but I just got tired of it.

Syncing:
I use a docker container with my Withings and Garmin credentials to sync my data from Withings to Garmin on a daily basis.
If you connect MFP to Garmin, it will pass your weight to Strava.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Well tbh these eufy scales seem nice for the weight apps ok. But the rest of the measurements seem a bit shit Image.

H10 seems good once warmed up. Im gunna try some gel to see if thats bettet than just licking it. I think cos my fan blasts my chest until I start sweating sometimes readings can drop outs slightly. But this im sure is user errorImage

Basso Diamante eps 12

pushpush

by pushpush

I find all of the metrics offered by these scales to be highly suspect except for the weight itself. When my bone mass and muscle mass supposedly change by multiple pounds in a day I lose faith in whatever magic they are doing in their algorithm.

pushpush

by pushpush

The hurricane of fans definitely delays good data during the beginning of a training session. Now I don't turn my fans on until I've already started to sweat which has produced more reliable hrm data for me. I run my fans through a power strip that has a switch for each outlet. The power strip is mounted where I can reach it while on my trainer.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:Well tbh these eufy scales seem nice for the weight apps ok. But the rest of the measurements seem a bit shit Image.

H10 seems good once warmed up. Im gunna try some gel to see if thats bettet than just licking it. I think cos my fan blasts my chest until I start sweating sometimes readings can drop outs slightly. But this im sure is user errorImage

Basso Diamante eps 12
Electrode gel works great for me. Strong, predictable readings under all manner of skin condition. You will like it. As a bonus it becomes another kit ritual to enjoy if so inclined.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Yea ordered some last night should arrive today.

Basso Diamante eps 12

naavt

by naavt

If you find any smart scale that works... Please let me know! I'm in a deep dive for one for more than a couple years now. From Withings to Tanita, they are all s**t!

Tried many and did the same exact experience on every smart scale tried:

1. Weighted first thing in the morning
2. Went for a long 3+ hour ride (zone 2) - fasted, only liquids in (2 x 750ml bottles)
3. Weighted when arrived home. Results:

a) From the many try outs made, an average of 700g to 1Kg less
b) Same fat percentage almost all the times, some of then indicated a 0,1 or so of gained fat!
c) Same body water percentage almost all the times. Again, the same misterious case happened with body water as with fat, gaining a pinch in body water!
d) Reduced weight was mostly attributed to loss of muscle mass.

All the above always raised suspitions from me and I've kept my Tanita (which was ridiculous expensive), just because my brain told me to kept the one that subconsciously can be the most accurate, but in reality I think they are all garbage. It tells me my right weight to the gram though! :roll:

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

regarding smart scales. Sorry if I misunderstood how they work, but they measure leg to leg.
Meaning measuring from one foot, up through your leg, crossing your genitals and then down the next leg and foot.

They do not measure your body, the body figures are an estimation based on the results from measuring the legs.

This is why the scale says I have like 10-14% body fat because my legs are great shape but my upperbody would not agree 2 cents.. I am fat.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Hahahhha is that correct?? Maybe its my genitals that are causing the extremely obese readings

Basso Diamante eps 12

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

For heart rate monitors, you want to remove the battery and encpsulate the electronics board with something like this self-leveling silicone. This will prevent sweat from corroding any interfaces: https://www.amazon.com/CQ512-20G-Electr ... 098KK3GBG/
Just make sure both battery contacts can still contact the battery. I don't know why the manufacturers won't coat the boards before assembly in the first place.

eeney

by eeney

I have some smart scales which just seem to guess body fat, etc. I was measuring 18% body fat, but a Dexa scan measure less than 10%.

I was watching videos on the Garmin scales, apparently if you know your body fat at one point in time, you can input this into the app, then the scales will use this to calibrate to you, ie. it creates a baseline measurement for you, from which the scales can be more accurate going forward..... interested to get more feedback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com