Garmin connect, slowly sapping my will to live!

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

naylor343

by naylor343

OK, Garmin connects lack of any usefulness, has relegated my edge 520 to an expensive paper weight. I am currently having to transpose training data into training peaks by manually typing it in. Does anybody know of any other way, 3rd party apps etc, that will allow you to upload to training peaks via Bluetooth? If not it's back to the trusty old battered 500, mini usb and the ST uploader app. Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

Garmin connect can automatically upload to Strava and TrainingPeaks. I can't recall exactly how to set up but it is doable.

naylor343

by naylor343

This I know. The trouble is getting it to Bluetooth sync successfully with the 520, it's useless beyond words. I am looking for a way to cut Garmin connect out of the equation altogether.

moonoi

by moonoi

What phone are you using, I used to have an iPhone which when ever the app updated would mean I had to delete all connections and repair everything, sometimes a few times to make it work.

Since moving to a Samsung S8 I've had zero issues with syncing.

Conza

by Conza

It's all about the adventure :o .

naylor343

by naylor343

Thanks Conza, took a look at this, but it just syncs from garmin connect to other3rd party sites. I am searching for a way to upload to training peaks and cut our Garmin connect completely. It's the sync from the device to Garmin connect that is the constant problem. I have three tablets/phones and it is the same problem on all.

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

Ok now I understand. I have been having similar issues but not sure if it is the phone or the Garmin (although like you, suspect the latter). The frustrating part is that sometimes it does sync automatically...
I have been connecting my 810 by USB when it doesn’t auto upload by Bluetooth, so would be interested if anyone has found a solution also.

AJS914

by AJS914

My 510 used to not upload on the first try. I would have to shut it down and restart it and then it would sync. There was some recent update to the iphone app and now it seems to sync right after saving a ride.

Another thing I found helpful was to remove all the old rides off of the Garmin. I did it manually by just copying the rides folder to my computer so I would have a backup and then I deleted them from the Garmin itself.

Good luck. My 510 has driven me crazy from time to time over the last few years.

naylor343

by naylor343

Thanks all. It's working again, for the moment anyway! I will give it another month, then perhaps it's wahoo next!

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I did have BT syncing problems a couple of years ago with 510 (using Samsung phones) when Garmin Connect app on phone was still more like a plugin, but last fall bought one of Garmin Fenix watches, set up Garmin Connect in its new look and ever since, both devices are syncing without any errors (which, of course, doesn't mean they don't have any other traditional Garmin bugs ;) ) Before all this, it was manual ride uploads by USB cable, of course.

If you've got similar syncing problems on 3 different phones, it suggests something's wrong with your 520 (not a surprise, really :D ) I assume you've already updated the firmware and so on? Sometimes, it's also worth having a look at Garmin forums, you might find some unexpected hacks which finally make things working.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

my experience with garmin connect and strava keeps getting better with eacch passing year. each year is less buggy than the one that just passed. i'm very plesed with the user experience i almost never experience syncing issues. when i first bit the bullet and started updating with blue tooth and garmin connect instead of the cable about three yeas ago, i would experience issues, often enough that i would worry if the next upload would work.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

naylor343

by naylor343

Yes I agree that things are better than they have been in the past. It's a real shame that there are no 3rd party apps that allow you to sync via Bluetooth, at this moment you must use GC and it is still too buggy.

Something along the lines of ST uploader would be amazing. Sadly it only works via USB cable, but does not support the edge 520 and others designed primarily to sync via Bluetooth. I always used it with my edge 500 as it works 100% of the time and seamlessly uploads to training peaks with all Garmin's software bypassed at every stage, perfection! I get the feeling from reading reviews on today's head units, Garmin, wahoo, stages dash etc, that people are generally happy with the hardware but it is always the software/apps that are the letdown. For such highly tech driven companies, this is very disappointing.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

naylor343 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:06 am
OK, Garmin connects lack of any usefulness, has relegated my edge 520 to an expensive paper weight. I am currently having to transpose training data into training peaks by manually typing it in. Does anybody know of any other way, 3rd party apps etc, that will allow you to upload to training peaks via Bluetooth? If not it's back to the trusty old battered 500, mini usb and the ST uploader app. Thanks in advance.

I switched to Wahoo because I hated Garmin Connect so much. I'm very happy with my choice. I don't need to even open the wahoo app unless I am changing something in the route/screens.

zirxo

by zirxo

One solution if you don't want to use GC is to connect your Garmin device to your computer and upload the .fit files to TrainingPeaks manually.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

I feel your pain. Tired of connectivity issues between phone and Edge 520. Bought a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. Got it today actually. Took all of 10 minutes to set up. Connected immediately. Downloaded ride immediately upon completion. Voilà!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com