Anyone lost a lot of weight, and kept it off?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I dropped from 100kg to 60kg by hopping on one leg for four hours, drinking a gallon of coffee and singing lalala at the same time. I try to teach other people the secrets of my success, but they just won't listen! They keep reiterating this calorie deficit nonsense! :lol: :lol: :lol:

joejack951

by joejack951

queloque67 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:12 pm
Again, saying calorie in vs calorie out is a state of interpretation. If I eat a piece of cake i'm not going to run outside and jump on my bike afterward thinking i'm going to directly burn the calories from that piece of cake i just ate to fight the guilt of eating junk food. Because i know i'm still digesting it. What i'm burning its what is already stored in my muscle glycogen or liver stores and depending on my intensity am i'm burning mostly stored body fat, or dietary fat in my blood or blood glucose or muscle glycogen stores.
First, I've never said anything about where the calories are coming from when one starts exercising after eating. Calories in/calories out is referring to weight loss/gain. To lose weight, you need a calorie deficit (more out than in) and vice versa for weight gain. There are little nuances that will vary from person to person and from one food type to another but the basic premise holds, and I, as non-elite level athlete, see no reason to further complicate it as some will tend to do.

That said, simple sugars like those from a piece of cake are readily available energy and I believe that the body will tend to burn that up first before resorting to stored glycogen/fat for energy. But honestly, it's totally irrelevant to the basic question at hand about losing weight and keeping it off.
queloque67 wrote:
I'm simply saying the body is more complicated than calories in calories out. If it was that simple I should be 120 pounds by now based on my 11,000 miles of riding last year and my caloric intake.
If you 'should' be but aren't than your calculations are wrong somewhere. You are either eating far more or burning far less than you think, depending on how far off your actual weight is from your calculated weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

queloque67

by queloque67

joejack951 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:24 pm
queloque67 wrote:
Again, saying calorie in vs calorie out is a state of interpretation. If I eat a piece of cake i'm not going to run outside and jump on my bike afterward thinking i'm going to directly burn the calories from that piece of cake i just ate to fight the guilt of eating junk food. Because i know i'm still digesting it. What i'm burning its what is already stored in my muscle glycogen or liver stores and depending on my intensity am i'm burning mostly stored body fat, or dietary fat in my blood or blood glucose or muscle glycogen stores.
First, I've never said anything about where the calories are coming from when one starts exercising after eating. Calories in/calories out is referring to weight loss/gain. To lose weight, you need a calorie deficit (more out than in) and vice versa for weight gain. There are little nuances that will vary from person to person and from one food type to another but the basic premise holds, and I, as non-elite level athlete, see no reason to further complicate it as some will tend to do.

That said, simple sugars like those from a piece of cake are readily available energy and I believe that the body will tend to burn that up first before resorting to stored glycogen/fat for energy. But honestly, it's totally irrelevant to the basic question at hand about losing weight and keeping it off.
queloque67 wrote:
I'm simply saying the body is more complicated than calories in calories out. If it was that simple I should be 120 pounds by now based on my 11,000 miles of riding last year and my caloric intake.
If you 'should' be but aren't than your calculations are wrong somewhere. You are either eating far more or burning far less than you think, depending on how far off your actual weight is from your calculated weight.
I'm plant-based so its rare I would ever eat far more calories because i'm full before I reach a calorie surplus except on weekends when I eat mostly processed food. Like I said in the past no need to calculate anymore and why it was so easy to drop from 200 pounds to 159 pounds stuffing myself with food. Plant based whole foods have far more less calories per pound and you will be full before you will over eat it. When I first went plant based 4 years ago, I was anal with counting calories just so I knew where I stood. And I would stuff myself until I couldn't eat anymore and I would never be at an surplus of calories yet my nutrient level are off the charts. Early on it was hard for me to mentally grasp and trust the fact I could eat large amounts of food and still drop weight. its simply super hard to overeat those types of food its just that most people prefer foods that are sexy and decadent. Way more easy than stuffing yourself with refined foods where you can stuff 1000 calories worth in 1 measuring cup. You stomach has difficulty responding to concentrated calories.

so those who calculate wrong eat foods hard to calculate and foods that have tons of hidden calories i.e. oils and refined sugars you don't visually see in food or beverages. For example look at a spray can of oil. How much do people normally spray to making pancakes...........if you look at the serving size...... 1 serving is less than 1 second of spraying.....LOL Who sprays for less than 1 second? Who calculates how much salad dressing on a salad or oil in pizza doe or bread. Thats why calculations are wrong. hard to miscalculate a banana. Hard to eat a pound of potatoes even though its only 350 calories but how many guys can eat a large pizza by themselves thats over 2000 calories? So I'm never worried about my calculations being wrong.....1. I don't need to calculate and 2. Super hard to over eat whole plant based foods because their density is super high.

75% of Americans are either overweight or obese who can't control their intake because western diet is mostly concentrated, high caloric type foods where counting calories is a chore and hard to do. The cards are stacked against us. Diets don't work because the body wants to stop eating when full not under eat every single day that later leads to yo yo diets and binge eating. if you mostly eat Whole foods you can just listen to your body.....can't listen to your body eating processed sugary and oil and fat based foods....you will over eat most of the time. Their calories are just super high in small amounts and people can't mentally except the fact that the small amount of food they eat have a lot of calories when they actually do.

KWalker

by KWalker

Yes. When I got my first road bike I was a 240lb powerlifter. I wasn't naturally that big, so just riding helped me lose 20lbs. I didn't do a damn thing to change my diet and was in college so there was a lot of graduation partying. Over the next 1.5 years I got as light as 150, often hovered around 160 without much effort. I was rather poor at the time so I tried to eat as much protein as I could when it was around, so when eating out or maybe at a big breakfast. The rest of the time I simply ate per normal recommendations on rides, which made it much easier to eat less off the bike without going crazy. Given the huge calorie debt being rather unspecific about small portin indulgences helped offset things too. I remember after going from 170 to 155 things got rough and I was hungry all the time. We took a vacation to Rome and I think I ate 3,000cal/day at least. I came back a bit bloated, but the next month lost another 5lbs riding a ton.

In the end I found a sustainable strategy for me. It was easy to figure out what kept me satiated on the weekdays and on big ride or weekends I would indulge slightly. Vegan, vegetarian, it doesn't matter. In the years after I tried much more restrictive diets and had much worse results. Studies show that once good habits are formed intuitive eating is better for long term body composition then any convoluted strategy.

I find a lot of people eat way too much on the bike and don't understand energy balance. On easier aerobic rides 2-3hrs long I wouldn't take in anything except when it was hot and back then pre Skratch labs it was dilute cytomax. If I rode hard I'd have 60g of CHO hr in the form of 1/2 bar, gel, 1/2 bar every 20min regardless of pace. On long rides I'd stop mid ride and have an even larger snack and have a pretty solid meal after and then resume normal eating.

My biggest piece of advice is spend 2-4 weeks eating entirely by feel, but with the mindset of eating/snacking slowly and stopping once you don't feel the need to eat anymore. Not when "full". Eat nuts 1 or 2 at a time over a few minutes. Chew lunch while reading. You will find the difference between satiated and full is quite massive and the former is all you normally "need"
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

joejack951

by joejack951

queloque67 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:50 pm
joejack951 wrote:
queloque67 wrote:
I'm plant-based so its rare I would ever eat far more calories because i'm full before I reach a calorie surplus except on weekends when I eat mostly processed food. Like I said in the past no need to calculate anymore and why it was so easy to drop from 200 pounds to 159 pounds stuffing myself with food.
You are confusing the hell out of me :D

A few posts ago you talked about how you should weigh less based on your intake of calories and expenditure of calories. Now you say you aren't calculating intake of calories. Either you you are or you aren't. Which is it? If I had to guess, you might run a deficit all week eating healthy but then splurge every weekend winding up about even for the week. I have similar eating habits :mrgreen:
queloque67 wrote:
Plant based whole foods have far more less calories per pound and you will be full before you will over eat it. When I first went plant based 4 years ago, I was anal with counting calories just so I knew where I stood. And I would stuff myself until I couldn't eat anymore and I would never be at an surplus of calories yet my nutrient level are off the charts. Early on it was hard for me to mentally grasp and trust the fact I could eat large amounts of food and still drop weight. its simply super hard to overeat those types of food its just that most people prefer foods that are sexy and decadent. Way more easy than stuffing yourself with refined foods where you can stuff 1000 calories worth in 1 measuring cup. You stomach has difficulty responding to concentrated calories.
Hmmmm, avocados, walnuts, black beans, oranges, olives.... I can overeat any of them. Not as easily as overeating candy but I'd never just assume that because something is plant based that I can eat it without any consideration of calories.

queloque67 wrote:
so those who calculate wrong eat foods hard to calculate and foods that have tons of hidden calories i.e. oils and refined sugars you don't visually see in food or beverages. For example look at a spray can of oil. How much do people normally spray to making pancakes...........if you look at the serving size...... 1 serving is less than 1 second of spraying.....LOL Who sprays for less than 1 second? Who calculates how much salad dressing on a salad or oil in pizza doe or bread. Thats why calculations are wrong. hard to miscalculate a banana. Hard to eat a pound of potatoes even though its only 350 calories but how many guys can eat a large pizza by themselves thats over 2000 calories? So I'm never worried about my calculations being wrong.....1. I don't need to calculate and 2. Super hard to over eat whole plant based foods because their density is super high.
People who really care about lowering calories (such as myself at times) certainly do calculate (or at least estimate) what you considered 'hidden' calories or things like oil and salad dressing used. People who just want to complain that they can't lose weight likely do turn a blind eye to calories consumed in drinks (especially coffee) or add-ons like dressing on a salad, granola in yogurt, cheese on everything, etc.

Eating a whole large pizza? Never done it. Half, sure....Friday night. Also ran 22 miles this weekend. Still 145 lbs.
queloque67 wrote:
75% of Americans are either overweight or obese who can't control their intake because western diet is mostly concentrated, high caloric type foods where counting calories is a chore and hard to do. The cards are stacked against us. Diets don't work because the body wants to stop eating when full not under eat every single day that later leads to yo yo diets and binge eating. if you mostly eat Whole foods you can just listen to your body.....can't listen to your body eating processed sugary and oil and fat based foods....you will over eat most of the time. Their calories are just super high in small amounts and people can't mentally except the fact that the small amount of food they eat have a lot of calories when they actually do.
Full agreement here. It is very, very hard to create a calorie deficit eating junk food, even if exercising a fair amount. Exercise a ton and you can make it happen but most people don't have the time or won't make the time to do that much exercise. You will also plateau long before reaching a truly light weight. Been there, done that. I used to think 160 lbs. was the lowest I could go (and that with 10 hours cycling/week) but that was simply because I was eating too much junk still. I now get ~4-5 hours/week intense activity yet weigh much less.

queloque67

by queloque67

joejack951 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:25 pm
queloque67 wrote:
joejack951 wrote:
queloque67 wrote:
I'm plant-based so its rare I would ever eat far more calories because i'm full before I reach a calorie surplus except on weekends when I eat mostly processed food. Like I said in the past no need to calculate anymore and why it was so easy to drop from 200 pounds to 159 pounds stuffing myself with food.
You are confusing the hell out of me :D

A few posts ago you talked about how you should weigh less based on your intake of calories and expenditure of calories. Now you say you aren't calculating intake of calories. Either you you are or you aren't. Which is it? If I had to guess, you might run a deficit all week eating healthy but then splurge every weekend winding up about even for the week. I have similar eating habits :mrgreen:
queloque67 wrote:
Plant based whole foods have far more less calories per pound and you will be full before you will over eat it. When I first went plant based 4 years ago, I was anal with counting calories just so I knew where I stood. And I would stuff myself until I couldn't eat anymore and I would never be at an surplus of calories yet my nutrient level are off the charts. Early on it was hard for me to mentally grasp and trust the fact I could eat large amounts of food and still drop weight. its simply super hard to overeat those types of food its just that most people prefer foods that are sexy and decadent. Way more easy than stuffing yourself with refined foods where you can stuff 1000 calories worth in 1 measuring cup. You stomach has difficulty responding to concentrated calories.
Hmmmm, avocados, walnuts, black beans, oranges, olives.... I can overeat any of them. Not as easily as overeating candy but I'd never just assume that because something is plant based that I can eat it without any consideration of calories.

queloque67 wrote:
People who really care about lowering calories (such as myself at times) certainly do calculate (or at least estimate) what you considered 'hidden' calories or things like oil and salad dressing used. People who just want to complain that they can't lose weight likely do turn a blind eye to calories consumed in drinks (especially coffee) or add-ons like dressing on a salad, granola in yogurt, cheese on everything, etc.

Eating a whole large pizza? Never done it. Half, sure....Friday night. Also ran 22 miles this weekend. Still 145 lbs.
queloque67 wrote:
Full agreement here. It is very, very hard to create a calorie deficit eating junk food, even if exercising a fair amount. Exercise a ton and you can make it happen but most people don't have the time or won't make the time to do that much exercise. You will also plateau long before reaching a truly light weight. Been there, done that. I used to think 160 lbs. was the lowest I could go (and that with 10 hours cycling/week) but that was simply because I was eating too much junk still. I now get ~4-5 hours/week intense activity yet weigh much less.
Ok, you are being a bit of a contrarian.

Again, very hard to over eat when eating whole foods and you eat based on food density like I stated. So you are right......nuts are almost 3000 calories a pound. So common sense would tell me don't eat a lot of those and nuts ARE NOT a high density low calorie food. I never said all plant based foods are, but the ones where you get the bulk of your calories should be the high density ones. Same with Avocado but avocado has tons of fiber so eating a whole avocado would fill me up. But i'm not going to nit pick with you. Look up food density and if you simply follow that guideline no matter how you eat you shouldn't have to count calories unless food is just all about pleasure and nothing else.

I was speaking in context based on how one eats. Eating plant based I don't need to count calories, eating western diet you have to because most foods are processed and concentrateted and artificial. Don't see how that confuses you, it all depends on how you eat and I can't assume people eat like me. In fact most Americans don't eat plant based so I had to put my comments in perspective. That is all i'm saying.

Most humans didn't start counting calories until the late 20th century. Why? Because before than most humans ate whole foods most of the time. Animals don't eat until they are overweight or obese either except domesticated animals or animals controlled by humans. We had a shut off valve...we got full without needing tons of calories. Our body knew. Now we eat foods that are so concentrated, Average single western meal can be 800 to 1500 calories not including snacks between meals and eating at least 3 full meals a day. it takes 3000 calories plus a day or more just to know when to stop eating for the rest of the day. Cards are stacked...you have no choice but to count. I like to eat until i'm really full.....not interested in counting. Haven't counted calories in 3 years and i'm happy and can drop weight.

In the end, do the hell what you want. LOL I don't give a shit. I was just trying to help not argue. Its just food. Keep it simple.

Shrike

by Shrike

Really great reading in here, been keeping my eye on the posts. I've been experimenting recently and have decided to up my protein intake, a lot. Especially for breakfast. Seems I feel satisfied and body doesn't go into full on carb crave mode for the rest of the day. Doing 2 eggs and a couple of slices of cheese then some fruit until I work out something else. Would prefer it if I wasn't chowing down on dairy or animal products but needed to get myself in check and this seems to work. Feel more balanced the past few days, no longer need to binge 2000 cals to stop craving food after a fast. Also stopped fasting in the morning for the mean time.

Seems that even loading up on tons of veg didn't stop me from craving food if I don't have enough protein. No more crash dieting for me, (not for a long time anyway). Just seem to go into some crazy starvation mode at the end and can't stop eating for a week or two after. Basically I was running a 500 to 700 cal deficit since early November to when I started this thread. Dropped a silly amount of weight, but felt horrible. Couldn't get anything done. Started failing workouts constantly on TrainerRoad. Was moody and although conscious nd prepared for that, it was still a massive effort to hide it around people at times.

Spent the past week off the bike just eating how I felt and catching up a lot of work that needed done. Overeating mostly, but now body feels settled and mind feels back in the right place. Looking forward now to just eating cleaner, focusing on whole foods, without going nuts. Instead of say dropping bread entirely, I'm just buying a sprouted loaf once a week, and having that with hummus for example. Seems that anything too hardcore, even avoiding a certain type of food for too long, has a consequence for me. I need time to adjust. Also stopped the structured training. Will just ride for fun until I feel like I'm ready to go do any more proper training. However long that may be. Still have some goals that I want to achieve in terms of fitness but those can wait.

Might even do a pizza or junk food night every couple of weeks or so, or just when I feel like it. Think something like that might help maintain balance, but not sure if that's a cop out of what. Maybe can do that the night before epic long rides, as the intensity is lower yet you burn a lot more cals.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Super inspiring to read threads like this...

I would echo the thoughts of most here.. I went from 107.5kg (237 pounds) to 72.1kg (159 pounds) about 4 years ago... total time of weight loss was about a year. The first 25 pounds or so was just from paying attention to calorie intake, using myfitnesspal on my phone. Then I got my first road bike and the weight really started to come off. I wouldn't say that I ever dieted... but watching/counting the calories definitely forced me to make better decisions. I realized that there were things I was eating that were extremely high in calories and not filling. I wasn't getting anything from them, other than the satisfaction of eating. It totally changed the way I looked at the things I eat. Three years later and I've basically kept the weight off.. I say basically because the number on the scale has gone up, slightly, as I've put muscle on... I walk around now at 165-168. My waist measurement has gone done, my blood pressure is best its ever been. Cholesterol is good. A few years ago, I made a video to become a Pactimo brand ambassador... I think it very clearly sums up the reasons why I ride and things its done for me. It has literally changed my life.

queloque67

by queloque67

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:13 pm

I would echo the thoughts of most here.. I went from 107.5kg (237 pounds) to 72.1kg (159 pounds) about 4 years ago... total time of weight loss was about a year. The first 25 pounds or so was just from paying attention to calorie intake, using myfitnesspal on my phone. Then I got my first road bike and the weight really started to come off. I wouldn't say that I ever dieted... but watching/counting the calories definitely forced me to make better decisions. I realized that there were things I was eating that were extremely high in calories and not filling. I wasn't getting anything from them, other than the satisfaction of eating. It totally changed the way I looked at the things I eat. Three years later and I've basically kept the weight off.. I say basically because the number on the scale has gone up, slightly, as I've put muscle on... I walk around now at 165-168. My waist measurement has gone done, my blood pressure is best its ever been. Cholesterol is good. A few years ago, I made a video to become a Pactimo brand ambassador... I think it very clearly sums up the reasons why I ride and things its done for me. It has literally changed my life.

Great video dude and nice story. I dropped about the same amount of weight with within the same time frame going with whole foods mostly and kept the weight off.

I agree, those high calorie low density foods is what get people all the time. Its amazing how many calories can be packed into small amounts that don't fill up the stomach. Our body hasn't got a full grasp of processed foods when looking at it from an evolutionary perspective. In the past humans were eating almost to even more than 100 grams of fiber a day which fills the stomach up. We avg 15 grams a day now. We have been on this planet for hundreds of thousands of years yet only since the 1970's forward have we been hit with a heavy dose of processed foods and high calorie low density foods that make up the bulk of our calories in western cultures. I eat processed foods but much less. I make sure I crowd it out with whole foods so I eat less of those high calorie low density foods.

I was looking at how we ate just in the 1970's, average American averaged a little less than 2000 calories a day. Now we are averaging over 3000 calories a day. We have taken eating to the next level. We sit more but also eat more....perfect recipe to be a regular customer to Big Pharma as we get older.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

queloque67 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:30 pm
Great video dude and nice story. I dropped about the same amount of weight with within the same time frame going with whole foods mostly and kept the weight off.

I agree, those high calorie low density foods is what get people all the time. Its amazing how many calories can be packed into small amounts that don't fill up the stomach. Our body hasn't got a full grasp of processed foods when looking at it from an evolutionary perspective. We have been on this planet for hundreds of thousands of years yet only since the 1970's forward have we been hit with a heavy dose of processed foods and high calorie low density foods that make up the bulk of our calories in western cultures. I eat processed foods but much less. I make sure I crowd it out with whole foods so I eat less of those high calorie low density foods.

I was looking at how we ate just in the 1970's, average American averaged a little less than 2000 calories a day. Now we are averaging over 3000 calories a day. We have taken eating to the next level. We sit more but also eat more....perfect recipe to be a regular customer to Big Pharma as we get older.
Thank you... yes, totally agree. Incidentally, I suffer from chronic kidney disease and that was the impedus for my weight loss... to get healthy and improve the conditions that effect my kidney disease. Since starting this journey, my kidney doctor has taken me off 4 medications that he was convinced I'd be on for the rest of my life. I'm fairly certain that he's writing professional papers about me regarding the effects that cycling has had on my disease.

joejack951

by joejack951

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:37 pm
Since starting this journey, my kidney doctor has taken me off 4 medications that he was convinced I'd be on for the rest of my life.
That is a beautiful thing! I have a good friend working for big pharma but there's nothing I'd love more than to see them shrivel up as people learn to get healthy on their own through diet and exercise.

Shrike

by Shrike

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:13 pm

Great video Rich, especially appreciate how you said you ride for your family. That's what it's about at the end of the day, it's about living longer and healthier so they don't have to worry about you when you're older. I'm at an age now where I'm stressing about my folks, my partner is stressing about her folks. Nearly everyone we know here around our age is dealing with some family crisis related to their parent's health. Cancer and heart disease mostly. We're living in Scotland right now. The diet of people here is shocking. The statistics related to health issues are shocking. The fact that people don't change their behaviour even though they know they'll burden their children is shocking.

I don't want to be that guy. Don't want anyone stressing about my health, ever. For me that also means getting the missus riding, which I've managed to do at some effort. Her health is even more important than mine and cycling is the most enjoyable way I know for most people to sort their health out.

Shrike

by Shrike

This is timely, wrote all that then had a look at the news.

New study on cycling was published:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... tudy-finds

AJS914

by AJS914

No surprise there. 125 recreational cyclists vs. 125 couch potatoes. I think they would have found the same result regardless of the type of exercise.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Wow! That’s impressive @crankaddictsrich... half your body weight in a year and much fitter I’m sure as well. I’ve been injured the last 3 season’s running from different things and need to regain my fitness lost this year. And no crashes (knock on wood). I’d for sure like to drop around 20lbs and get fit again, but I’m not exactly the most disciplined person when it comes to a training schedule and I enjoy the bike just to be out. I’m just going to try to watch my diet a little more closely, but I’m an easy mark when someone wants to meet for a beer or dinner. And I’m usually the first one to suggest a pit stop when passing a nice little coffee shop or restaurant at an opportune location along a ride. And wine country... I’m a sucker for a wine tasting.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com