Another PM thread - Stages Vs Quarq Dfour91

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:02 am
It's funny that you mentioned the Speedplays. The best bike upgrade I ever did was to ditch my Speedplay Ti pedals for Shimano Dura Ace pedals. I get so much more power transfer out of the Dura Ace pedals. And the Dura Ace pedals are maintenance free. The Dura Ace cleats are very light, with hollow steel bolts.

I have two Quarq PMs, the Red 22 and the Dfour. I've never owned the Stages or the Garmin. Personally I prefer a spider based PM for accuracy and reliability. GL on your purchase.
Funny you mention... I’ve considered many times this precise change, always postponing it
8)

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

I’m really in the middle, stages is proving to be alright these days, but no doubt Quarq would be a better PM.
On the other hand it would be easier changing the stages between both my bikes.

The price point, is really not the decisive one, as the stages is for sale online for 599, and I can get the Quarq for 780 (and eventually sell the shimano crank)...

Thanks for the honest opinions on the stages, they’re leaning me a bit towards it...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

You can get a Dfour 91 for $780? Care you share where? I just bought a Dfour (non 91) for $1000 and I thought it was a pretty good deal. The retail price for a Quarq is $1180. The Stages 9100 goes for $650 regular price so the $599 deal isn't that great of a deal. A new Quarq Dfour 91 for $780 is a great deal. You should get the Quarq and sell your crankset minus the rings. That would work out be the same price as the Stages.

As for the Dura Ace pedals....I know this is WW but pedals and skewers are two things I won't save weight on. Other parts to save weight on is OK because they don't affect power transfer. Yes skewers do make a difference on power transfer, at least on the rear one. I ended up saving weight somewhere else, like ceramic bearings for the wheels, etc. I know it's expensive to save weight on bearings but ceramic bearings don't hurt power transfer. And I also spend a lot of money on shoes....to get the stiffest and lightest carbon sole possible for maximum power transfer. One cannot go fast if he/she can't get the power to the cranks...

thegunner

by thegunner

starbike does the spider + arms for close:

http://www.starbike.com/en/sram-quarq-d ... ter-110mm/ + we get the posting discount of 5% right?

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

The prices were in euros, the stages was 599 from mantel, the Quarq I can get from a friend with good connections to Sram :-)
Nevertheless the price at Starbike is very good too!

stoney

by stoney

I'm right leg dominant so the Stages never gave me my true power. I could go up climbs on certain Strava segments riding side by side with guys who weighed 10 pounds less than me and their power would show 15 to 20 watts higher than mine for the climb. Although it may have accurate for the left leg doubled, I just didn't like it.