Wahoo Kickr vs Kickr Snap

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Thenuge

by Thenuge

Probably been covered a bunch but I'm buying a trainer now that the cold is coming. I'm setting up a training area in the garage and want to work through Trainer Road this winter to come out hard for a couple races next April.

So anyway, is it worth paying double for the Kickr? Do you get a much better feel with it compared to the wheel on trainer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

I had a Snap and now a Kickr. I had the Snap for 1.5 year and it's a good machine, the Kickr is just a bit better in some area's. Is it worth double the price? Depends how much you'll use it, and what you want to do on it.

The Kickr feels smoother, the difference isnt huge but you feel it.
My average wattages approximately stayed the same switching from Snap to Kickr. But when doing a full out sprint at the end of a race (on Zwift) my Snap went to 2000w, for some reason it couldnt handle that. My wattages are also less jumpy, keeping your wattage at 250w is easier on the Kickr. On the Snap it goes from 235 to 265 while on the Kickr you can keeper it between 245 and 255. That's out on the road in Zwift, not in ERG.

If you use Trainerroad the Snap is a very capable machine, ERG mode works perfect. The advantages of the Kickr are mainly when you use it on Zwift. If you do races, do long rides, want to have more of that road feel. Very short sprints at high wattages will be better using the Kickr, it's more accurate for those short bursts. But anything else in ERG mode, works just fine.

heatwave23

by heatwave23

I put 3k miles on a 2016 snap and it worked great... It did seem to drop ANT+ connection to my pc more than I would like. A second here and there during most rides. It really was only an issue in Zwift races. I just got a 2017 Kickr and from a feel perspective they are both close and it will come down to personal preference. As for dropping the signal, time will tell. What I don't like about the Kickr is mine is much louder than the snap paired with the blue Tacx trainer tire. It sounds like you have spun up a turbine when you stop pedaling.

So in my option is it worth 2x... Probably not.

tomee

by tomee

for those that had the Snap how loud was it?

Is it as loud as a Kurt Kinetic fluid?

AJS914

by AJS914

Is a direct drive trainer any gentler on the frame than one that clamps the quick release?

FWIW, I was thinking about a Snap but they cost $599 and I was able to pick up a Tacx Vortex Smart for $340 shipped mail order. DCRainmaker said they were about the same in function so I went for the one that was $250 cheaper. I would have liked direct drive but I just wasn't sure I'd ride it enough to justify an $860 price premium.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/tac ... ountry=191

MoPho

by MoPho

Like above, not sure I would use enough to justify the cost of the Kickr, but is the Snap worth the purchase over my current Kinetic fluid trainer?

AJS914

by AJS914

Is your Kinetic "smart"? I think that would be the only reason to upgrade.

The Kinetic InRide smart module is pretty cheap so if you can add it on to your trainer, that would be a great way to go.

MoPho

by MoPho

AJS914 wrote:Is your Kinetic "smart"? I think that would be the only reason to upgrade.

The Kinetic InRide smart module is pretty cheap so if you can add it on to your trainer, that would be a great way to go.

No, it is the basic stupid trainer :lol:

Just wondering if the variable resistance with Zwift is worth the upgrade. I am fortunate enough to be able to ride outside for most of the winter, but there are a few days when it doesn't work out

I will have to look at the module, I bought the kinetic years ago before all this stuff was available :thumbup:

AJS914

by AJS914

Hey, I wouldn't pay $10/mo. for Zwift if I could ride outside all year. :-)

I just moved up to Spokane 1.5 years ago and it's been a rude shock as last winter we had snow on the ground for 4 months. This is a whole new reality for me so I will be setting up Zwift for the winter.

MoPho

by MoPho

I'm in the Bay Area ( I miss living in SoCal) and we sometimes get stretches of rain for few days to a week, so trainers came in handy for my ride buddies who used theirs last winter and then they kicked my ass. So I've just spent the last three months losing 25lbs and getting in shape, so don't want to risk regressing this winter if it rains a lot like last year LOL.

Thanks for the tip on the Module, I didn't know it existed.

tomee

by tomee

MoPho wrote:
AJS914 wrote:Is your Kinetic "smart"? I think that would be the only reason to upgrade.

Just wondering if the variable resistance with Zwift is worth the upgrade. I am fortunate enough to be able to ride outside for most of the winter, but there are a few days when it doesn't work out

I will have to look at the module, I bought the kinetic years ago before all this stuff was available :thumbup:

im in the process of changing my Kurt Kinetic.
The thing for me is having a smart trainer for training is that you can stick it in ERG mode and just flick on a movie and not have to concentrate on numbers. Letting zwift or other programs set the power needed when.

i found with the Kurt i always had to look at zwift to maintain the power numbers and times rather than catchup on netflix :P

3Pio

by 3Pio

MoPho wrote:

I just bought it Road Machine witn Inride modul (new version). Too bad i got sick (Sinuititis), and still cant ride.. If u wait few days, ill test this module how it's working with TrainerRoad and maybe Zwift so will share experiences..

But the only difference between InRide modul (and yes it's still available, and u can upgrade ur Kinetic as well), and VirtualPower is it more detailed. But not something that u really need probably, since i can read Virtual Power is very reliable (as can be reliable something virtual). Another benefit of InRide is that is transmitting Speed and cadence over blue tooth, handy if u dont have Speed/Cadence sensors. If u have, i'll stick with them, since they are more reliable..

I was also thinking which one to buy, and KICKR Snap was my NumberOne Option.. But based on reading, and members suggestiong here about EGR, i decide that probably i dont need it..The final reason why i got RoadMachine and not KICKR Snap, was finding so many issues from users who have it.. But if u have a chance to test it, im very interested in comparation Kinetic vs Snap in overall experience..

What software do u use for ur InDoor riding?
Last edited by 3Pio on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

3Pio

by 3Pio

AJS914 wrote:Hey, I wouldn't pay $10/mo. for Zwift if I could ride outside all year. :-)

I just moved up to Spokane 1.5 years ago and it's been a rude shock as last winter we had snow on the ground for 4 months. This is a whole new reality for me so I will be setting up Zwift for the winter.

Switch to MTB in that period, or combine MTB and InDoor Trainer.. It can be much much more fun that indoor trainer :) While we had snow on the ground (not 4 months, but 2-3 weeks), i was riding MTB, and fun experience :) (specially going downhill :) )

About software, i'll go for TrainerRoad, and just 2-3 months, while it's winter outside. And more to test if im ready to follow programmed workouts or not :) (and what benefit i'll really have from that). Whenever i have a chance riding outside, definetely outdoor vs indoor...

MoPho

by MoPho

3Pio wrote:I just bought it Road Machine witn Inride modul (new version). Too bad i got sick (Sinuititis), and still cant ride.. If u wait few days, ill test this module how it's working with TrainerRoad and maybe Zwift so will share experiences..

But the only difference between InRide modul (and yes it's still available, and u can upgrade ur Kinetic as well), and VirtualPower is it more detailed. But not something that u really need probably, since i can read Virtual Power is very reliable (as can be reliable something virtual). Another benefit of InRide is that is transmitting Speed and cadence over blue tooth, handy if u dont have Speed/Cadence sensors. If u have, i'll stick with them, since they are more reliable..

I was also thinking which one to buy, and KICKR Snap was my NumberOne Option.. But based on reading, and members suggestiong here about EGR, i decide that probably i dont need it..The final reason why i got RoadMachine and not KICKR Snap, was finding so many issues from users who have it.. But if u have a chance to test it, im very interested in comparation Kinetic vs Snap in overall experience..

What software do u use for ur InDoor riding?

I would probably only use Zwift, I only tried it a few times last year, then cancelled. Just hoping that having the trainer adjust the resistance with the Zwift ride might make it a bit more tolerable. I am a month or so away from needing it, so will be interested to hear how you like it. Thanks

3Pio wrote:
Switch to MTB in that period, or combine MTB and InDoor Trainer.. It can be much much more fun that indoor trainer :)

I thought that too, went out and bought a new MTB last summer only to find out that around here at least, it's bad ettiequte to ride on the trails in the rain and for a week or so after, which meant pretty much never last winter rain season. :(

Last edited by MoPho on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

AJS914

by AJS914

The north west coast of the US had an exceptionally harsh winter last year. I'm hoping that it's not nearly as bad.

I did buy a set of cross country skis with metal edges so I could go around the park near my house if we again have 3 or 4 months of snow on the ground. I'm also going to join a gym membership plus ride the trainer about 60 miles per week. I'll probably come out in the spring feeling pretty fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com