Comfortable office chair to aid recovery?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sib

by sib

This year, I'm riding quite a bit more than I've done in the past and I'm finding that my legs are getting stiffer and sorer than before.
I work at home in front of a computer, and I'm beginning to think that investing in a good chair might aid recovery.

Any thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

When you are meant to have a break from working at your pc, get up and use that time for stretching.

With you're increased riding, it's probably something you're neglecting, by the sounds of it.
Official cafe stop tester

ms6073

by ms6073

I agree with the previous post about stretching, but considering we are not likely to put crap saddles on our bikes, life is too short to sit in cheap chairs. I own two high dollar chairs, one for the office and one for the home office as used to spend as many or more hours working from home as I did in the office.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Multebear

by Multebear

If you have the luxury to work at home, then I would work from a comfortable couch or armchair if possible. And then switch to a comfortable office chair and back again. I think variation is the key to recovery.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Herman Miller "Embody" chair. Don't know that it aids recovery but if you have to sit and work at your desk for long periods...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Multebear

by Multebear

Calnago wrote:Herman Miller "Embody" chair. Don't know that it aids recovery but if you have to sit and work at your desk for long periods...

Damn, that looks comfy:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha. I don't know about the desk, but I do have the Embody chair. And it truly made a huge difference.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Sizzler

by Sizzler

Not helpful, but I always thought this was funny: when I took my current job, the guy retiring from my position said to me, "I'd like you to have my office chair. When I was new here, I needed an office chair so the night janitor sold me this one for 50$. I thought it was a good deal, but later I found out he just took it from another room and sold it to me. And now it's yours."

sib

by sib

Thanks for the replies.
I do get up from my chair and walk around quite a lot, but I'll be sure to actively stretch during these breaks. Switching chairs sounds like a good idea, and easy to implement, too.

The Embody Chair looks great.
My budget won't stretch to that, but I think I'll make buying a new chair a high priority.

marynoland

by marynoland

Surely, comfortable chair will aid to recover. As you mentioned, we all work in front of computer for a whole day, so comfortable chair is most important as we spend all time sitting. My friend last year bought one used chair from this online site www.officesolutionsfl.com which was recommended to her by her friend, she has recovered much more after that.

jeffy

by jeffy

hag capisco / capisco puls is on my list

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

marynoland wrote:Surely, comfortable chair will aid to recover. As you mentioned, we all work in front of computer for a whole day, so comfortable chair is most important as we spend all time sitting.

Using Tapatalk

borist

by borist

I have the same problem. Here is what I have found to help when confined to an office:

- Movement is key. Get up and move around as much as possible. Every hour I walk around our office/get a glass of water/go to the toilet etc.
- As others have said, you need to stretch... much more than you think. I have a box under my desk that I use to stretch while sitting down. I also wear compression socks under my pants to aid in circulation.
- If possible, get a standing desk. We don't have individual ones, but there is a communal area that I take my laptop to and work there.
- Walk at lunch. Use this time for a light walk and stretch. Is there a yoga studio nearby?

Hope this helps.
Last edited by borist on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 on the Aeron chair. I bought one for my assistant and it really helped her, so I bought one too. It has made a big difference (looks cool with the polished alloy base, too). We have gone to convertible stand-up desks, too. That helps, as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com