Thread of Food Recipes

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bJay

by bJay

prendrefeu wrote:This is Vegan, but good enough. I made it a few times over the summer (which is now, for you, if you're back in the Southern Hemisphere)

Thanks Prend! I'll give that a try this week :) It is summer here, but you wouldn't know it with the thunderstorms at the moment :evil:

B
a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in lycra

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Recipe:

1. Go to store
2. Buy PowerBar
3. Open PowerBar wrapper and eat. Supplement with water.
4. Properly dispose of PowerBar wrapper.

LouisN

by LouisN

WoW!!!

Great holidays recipe hammer :lol: !!!

I hope (for the guests) you're not receiving for Christmas ...

Louis :)

jaup

by jaup

This is my go to post ride meal.

Almond Banana Pancakes

Ingredients
2 ripe bananas
1 egg
1 heaping tablespoon of almond butter

Instructions
Mash the bananas, add the egg and mix well.
Stir in the almond butter, adding more than a tablespoon if you want a more pancake-like texture.
Warm butter in a pan and pour batter into small cakes.
Brown on each side and serve warm.

I usually eat this with berries or bacon and maple syrup.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/almond-banana-pancakes/#axzz1gpdkxOGa

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

Just in time for the holidays! The curry on the first page sounds tasty, now if only I wrote down my recipes so I could contribute!
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

jdp211

by jdp211

Asian Chicken burgers:
I don't have exact amounts, but in the right proportion, these are banging!
Ground chicken
chopped ginger (a lot)
chopped garlic (a little less than the ginger depending on how garlicy you like things)
chopped green onion
Soy sauce
Sriracha
Pepper (don't need salt because of the soy sauce)

Combine all the ingredients, form into patties, cook through (either on a grill or in a pan)

I also like to grill pineapple slices to top the burgers and make a spicy mayo (mayo, soy sauce, Sriracha, chopped ginger)

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

LouisN wrote:WoW!!!

Great holidays recipe hammer :lol: !!!

I hope (for the guests) you're not receiving for Christmas ...

Louis :)

My guests get a choice of flavors.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Szczuldo wrote:Just in time for the holidays! The curry on the first page sounds tasty, now if only I wrote down my recipes so I could contribute!

Ciao Szczuldo! Long time I haven't seen you around!

Welcome back. Hope the riding is going well.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

elviento

by elviento

voodoojar wrote:i make fake mashed potatoes out of cauliflower. They are pretty good.

Alright... so what we need is more knock-offs even in the recipe thread. Especially the "they are pretty good" line.

:D

Here is a very easy and quick oriental dish.

12-16 ounce bass. Best live.
scrub a light layer of cooking wine,
steam at high power for 7-8 mins,
spray some chopped scallions on top (some add pepper, parsley, etc., purely personal preference),
drizzle some soy sauce and hot cooking oil (2 tea spoons).

Super easy and delicious. And healthy too. Can even be brought to a party if you can borrow the kitchen for 10 mins.

Happy holidays everyone!

Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes, I'm pulling this thread up from more than a 2 year burial, just to share a quick recipe for a snack.

This snack is great for your own home, but also good for parties since most people tend to gather in the kitchen... and if you like to play the role of cook/host and treating others, this is a simple thing to cook up and it will be eaten fairly quickly too.

Chicharrón de Queso
It's the cheese (Queso = Cheese in Spanish) version of Chicharrón, which is fried pork rinds. This is considerably more healthy and also vegetarian friendly! This recipe can be found on a couple places around the internet each with their own variation. What I'm presenting here is a very simple method of approach to making one, much simpler than most of the recipes I've found, and also noting some general guidelines of nutrition information for it. You can always add some interesting bits while it's cooking/frying.

The nutritional information (including percentage of fat removed!) is at the end.

Ingredients:
-Four slices of any cheese. These are the common 'deli' square slices of cheese, but you can also slice your own if you have a stock. You can also use shredded cheese. What kind of cheese? Experiment! I've had great success with aged sharp cheddar (used in this example), jack, colby, and Jarlsberg. I've also tried havarti, muenster, swiss, provolone, and mozarella to varying degrees of success.

Tools:
-A large, very flat frying pan or frying surface. The pan, ideally, would have low wall height and have as large of a flat surface as possible. This can be non-stick coated, as used in this example, but you can also use a regular surface as well since the oil will generally prevent the food getting stuck or burnt.
-A flat spatula. I used a spatula (metal) that is commonly used for spreading frosting on a cake. Crepe/Pancake spatulas also work well.
-A small cup (to gather the oil)
-A plate and a shape of some sort - this can be glass or metal. I've used a bowl that I've turned upside down, but I've also used cleaned wine bottles.

1. Put the frying pan on high heat and immediately lay down the slices of cheese. If you are using shredded cheese, spread it out evenly and avoid piles.

Heat level, for reference:
I tend to cook this on high heat. You can also try it at a lower heat, but things will simply take a bit longer to remove the oil.

2. The cheese will begin to fry in its own oils. Normally when you would fry something the recommendation is to add oil to the pan. In this case we're letting the oils of the cheese itself fry the cheese.

Here is a little animated gif to show you what it looks like while frying:

During this process two things are happening: the oil is separating from the cheese (while frying the cheese at the same time) and the cheese itself is crisping a bit.

2.5. While it is cooking you can prepare where you will shape/form the melted cheese. In this case I've turned a small bowl upside down onto a plate. I've placed it just off to the side while the cheese continues to cook. You can also add other ingredients, chopped into small bits, onto the cheese at this time.

3. Remove the oil.
This takes a little getting-to-know how far along you have cooked the cheese. Lift the pan off the heat (keeping the burner on) and tilt it at an angle: the oil should begin to gather at one end of the pan while the cheese generally stays in place. If clumps of cheese are moving along with the oil, let it sit for a little while longer. Pour the oil into a small cup. You can later use the oil for other cooking needs or get rid of it entirely.

3.5 You can use a paper towel to lightly dab the cheese to remove any excess oil from the surface.

4. With the cheese not entirely firm but fairly close, turn off the heat and lift the cheese off of the pan's surface. If the cheese fried properly this should be very easy to do. In some cases, like using Havarti cheese, it may never really firm up completely.

5. Quickly place the cheese over the form and let it droop down into some shape. As it cools it will naturally harden.

Once it's hardened, it can be broken off into pieces and eaten like crisps. Try it out!

What nutritional changes did we make to it?

In this example, I used 4 slices of Sharp Cheddar Cheese (Trader Joe's) -

I managed to measure the amount of oil saved into the cup (but did not count the oil that was removed in the dabbing process) -
Cup before

Cup after

So we removed 20g of oil.
If you are removing 20 grams of oil that would be 180 fat calories (20x9).
If the 4 pieces of cheese originally had 320 calories from fat (80x4) then removing 180 would be 56.25% of the fat (180/320).
And we've reduced the number of total calories by about 41% (from 440 - 180 = 260).

So in the end, this snack is for 4 people, with 56% less fat and 41% fewer calories.
And it's delicious.
And cooking for other people is fun.

:beerchug:

I have not tried this with Végàn cheeses, but I'm interested in seeing how those turn out.

Bonus pic:
Havarti frying up:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

prend, too bad i'm lactose intolerant :lol:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Sorry about that! I'm also lactose intolerant. :lol:
But maybe to a lesser extant than others: I can handle cheese, yogurts and other things, but milk and ice cream bring trouble. Lactose free milk has been a godsend, it's incredible.

Also, I usually have a lactose pill available when I eat out.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Donkey

by Donkey

Please post here interesting/boring food receipes. Healthy or not so healthy food recipes along with cooking instructions.

Donkey

by Donkey

Ice-cream as an occassional treat.

AGW

by AGW

^ Not particularly conducive to training, but I'd try it for the sake of science. :smartass:

In a hammer of EFS flask, 60mls pure maple syrup and fill the rest with unsweetened almond milk. This ends up being close to 50/50. It provides about 200 calories (primarily sucose, some glucose and fructose) and ~160mg potassium. Tastes good, well tolerated, cheap, works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com