Weightweenies website update, Febuary 2018

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
nmx

by nmx

saibot wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:53 am
For readability on PC I would personally bump the .content font size up from 1em to something like 1.2em or there abouts.
Just very slightly increased font size (sorry we must process small steps). Do you think it is better? Or need font bigger? (please load with CTRL+F5)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nmx

by nmx

Calnago wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:32 pm

One more thing... I notice there doesn't seem to be a "Cancel" button anymore when you're composing a post. For those times when you start something then think... nah, that's dumb... CANCEL. Or nah... that's just going to offend someone... SUBMIT!!

Cal
Cancel button added ;-)

Do you need for Quick-reply form as well?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

nmx wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:49 am

Post view: (Postings list with descending post ID = chronological order)
search.php?search_id=newposts&timeline= ... l&sr=posts
Thread view: (Topics list with descending topic ID = chronological order)
search.php?search_id=newposts&timeline= ... &sr=topics

What do you think of both? Unfortunately we are very limited in actions like altering preview, date selection and so on as we strongly want to keep customization of the forums source code as small as possible as every update all the work could be causing errors or probably doesnt even work at all. Also the effort for processing updates rises and rises. Just some optiocal changes would probably be possible though.
I had to do a bit of thinking here... but the first one is the one I was thinking of. It basically sorts by FirstGroup[Postdate] then Subgroup[Topic], right? So, if there were say... 5 posts made consecutively to the same topic with no other posts to other topics in the meantime... then the first line of the sort would be the Topic title, and a preview of the last post made to it, correct? Then the next line would be the next topic with the most recent post to it before those 5 last posts were made to the topic in line 1. That's the one I would find useful... a Timeline.

The second sort is not useful to me in the same way as the first. Here's an example why... Suppose the topic was started a year ago, but a post was just made to it a couple of days ago which I saw, was interested, and wanted to revisit it a couple days later. Trouble is, I'm not going to be able to find it without going back a year in the threads. So no, I don't think the second sort is useful, but the first one is. It could be called Timeline, in the quicklinks. This is consistent with the description Tapatalk gives that very same view.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

nmx wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:14 pm
Calnago wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:32 pm

One more thing... I notice there doesn't seem to be a "Cancel" button anymore when you're composing a post. For those times when you start something then think... nah, that's dumb... CANCEL. Or nah... that's just going to offend someone... SUBMIT!!

Cal
Cancel button added ;-)

Do you need for Quick-reply form as well?
That Cancel Button added does nothing except delete whatever you had put in the reply box. You're still left in the Preview Window. I think it should return you to where you left off... like at the end of a thread with lots of posts in it. I guess in the Quick-Reply it's not necessary, becasue you're already there, so in that case, the Cancel Button you put in Preview form would be appropriate. But the CancelButton that you added to the Preview From needs one more step, and that's to take you back to the view you were at before you started typing a reply.

Note... I just went and retrieved a draft post that I was going to continue working on. Then something came up and I couldn't continure. So I hit Cancel, expecting it to just return me where I was before, but not altering my draft to date. But it's acting like a Delete Button, which is not what I want at all. So poofff... draft is gone, just becasue I decided not to work on it even though I had "loaded" it but not submitted it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

nmx wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:00 pm
saibot wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:53 am
For readability on PC I would personally bump the .content font size up from 1em to something like 1.2em or there abouts.
Just very slightly increased font size (sorry we must process small steps). Do you think it is better? Or need font bigger? (please load with CTRL+F5)
This is probably very individual, and display dependent, but think a bit bigger font than I'm currently seeing would be nice. I don't know how others feel so it would be good to get more feedback on this for sure then settle on the consensus I suppose.

bilwit

by bilwit

now if there was only HTTPS support..

nmx

by nmx

bilwit wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:52 pm
now if there was only HTTPS support..
We've now added SSL encryption for the authentication (login & register) process. Please tell us when you encounter any problems. (Probably you must CTRL+F5 refresh the browser)

nmx

by nmx

@Cal
I have now added the timeline feature at quick-links with basic functions as shown previously. I will be away next few weeks and hence there is no time left for further enhancement (at least for now).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

And I just had occasion to use it for the first time. Thanks! Here's the situation where it is useful. I read a post (within the last 24hrs) and wanted to respond, but was not at a computer or had no time. So, this morning I wanted to respond, but because no one else had responded since i read it it did not appear in the "New Posts" lists. So, I saw your newly added Timeline, and was able to get it. One thing I noticed, is that the first thread that came up was the Pro Cycling Thread, but it appeared twice, because there were two consecutive posts to it. One line per thread would be good. The way it is now, it seems like if there were 10 consecutive posts to say, the Pro Cycling Thread, then there would be 10 lines devoted to the "Pro Cycling Thread". I tried to explain this scenario in my earlier post, but I guess it got lost in trasnlation or I didn't explain it well enough. Still don't know if I explained it well enough, and if you don't do anyting, it's still ok and serves the purpose well enough, but I think you're so close that it wouldn't be much to do the summary queries such that it "groups" everything by Thread title first, then "sorts" those groups (Thread titles) by the last post date in that thread. Have a great holiday... if that's what the time off is for. If no, have a great time anyway, and thanks for all your work on this update. Much appreicated!

nmx

by nmx

Holiday yes :lol:

So for better understanding, you only want 1 posting to appear at the timeline from a specific thread?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, otherwise it’s just a descending sort by post. Looking for a list of all threads with activity in the time period, one line per thread, with date of last post to the thread being the descending sort criteria.

nmx

by nmx

Okay thanks I will fix once back.

F45

by F45

I like the old layout better. The new one is like hard to read words on a sea of blinding white.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I’m still using old layout to make it readable.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Is the main website down today? I can access it via my phone through Tapatalk when I’m not using WiFi, but can’t access it from my normal computer, or phone for that matter, when using WiFi.