Weightweenies website update, Febuary 2018

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

nmx wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:57 pm
Sorry - Currently we cannot provide SSL encryption for the forum. It is now fixed that you will be redirected when accessing the site with "https://".
You know that http is unsafe, right? Anyone can sniff user credentials out, including those of admins/mods. And SSL certificates are literally free, you can even self-sign one.
nmx wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:57 pm
We do host a lot of images!
Last time I've tried to upload an image the file limit was something ridiculously small, like 80kb. Same story today. The limit should be upped to at least 1mb. Come on, this is not 2007 anymore.

Also, the search query frequency limit that makes you wait during user posts navigation is totally uncalled for:
Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in 10 seconds.
What's the point in search feature if you are severely limited by how fast you can send queries? Might as well use google instead (which I do).

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

nmx wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:54 pm
slake21 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:26 pm
...and putting the avatars on the right side is the stupidest thing you can do to a forum (never understood why phphbb did that..)
Indeed, we cannot understand as well. But there is no alternative.
The "issue" is solved by a couple of CSS lines, a couple more if you factor in mobile viewport styles. Just append as necessary to the custom_ww_forum_responsive.css. Took me 15 minutes, here's a gist, see attached screenshot for results.
Attachments
custom css preview.PNG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nmx

by nmx

Thanks for the feedback again.
Klaster1 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:49 am
nmx wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:54 pm
slake21 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:26 pm
...and putting the avatars on the right side is the stupidest thing you can do to a forum (never understood why phphbb did that..)
Indeed, we cannot understand as well. But there is no alternative.
The "issue" is solved by a couple of CSS lines, a couple more if you factor in mobile viewport styles. Just append as necessary to the custom_ww_forum_responsive.css. Took me 15 minutes, here's a gist, see attached screenshot for results.
Indeed we had not expected that this problem could be resolved that easy. Done. (probably you must do complete reload STRG+F5 to see the changes immediately)
Last time I've tried to upload an image the file limit was something ridiculously small, like 80kb. Same story today. The limit should be upped to at least 1mb. Come on, this is not 2007 anymore.
Do you refer to the user avatars?

We have also fixed some bugs (e.g. at "active topics"/search result page).

nmx

by nmx

What's the point in search feature if you are severely limited by how fast you can send queries? Might as well use google instead (which I do).
This is standard phpbb "feature"!

nmx

by nmx

Youtube videos can now also be embedded. Just have a look at the updated bbcode when posting.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

nmx wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:01 pm
Do you refer to the user avatars?
No, I mean post attachment size limit. Earlier today I've tried to attach an already optimized image of a bike (downscaled, lower jpeg quality) which was a mere 800kb and the validation still rejected it. I think 1mb per image is a reasonable limit in 2018.
nmx wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:28 pm
This is standard phpbb "feature"!
You always have an option to reduce the limit to something smaller than several seconds, but still reasonable, like 100-500ms.
Last edited by Klaster_1 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

At the top of each thread, right next to the page number navigation, there is a tiny First unread post link. It'd be super awesome if there was a way to set a global default to always jump directly to the first unread post when opening a thread.

Conza

by Conza

nmx wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Youtube videos can now also be embedded. Just have a look at the updated bbcode when posting.
Yesssssss! :beerchug:

The youtube thing is so fickle though. If you use a short YT link, no dice, playlist - no dice, needs to have watch etc.

Anyway to make it less anal?

Also is there an indent, or centre option?
It's all about the adventure :o .

nmx

by nmx

MayhemSWE wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:27 pm
At the top of each thread, right next to the page number navigation, there is a tiny First unread post link. It'd be super awesome if there was a way to set a global default to always jump directly to the first unread post when opening a thread.
Do you mean when accessing via "active topics" or generally when coming from "viewforum" ? Or both?

nmx

by nmx

MayhemSWE wrote:
Unbenannt.PNG
This small tiny link is what you mean right?

themidge

by themidge

Klaster1 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:05 pm
No, I mean post attachment size limit. Earlier today I've tried to attach an already optimized image of a bike (downscaled, lower jpeg quality) which was a mere 800kb and the validation still rejected it. I think 1mb per image is a reasonable limit in 2018.
It's one or two steps more to do, but have you tried a third party hosting site? They allow you to fully embed (not stick on the end) big high res. images. I find Flickr to be very good, but there are others.
MayhemSWE wrote: At the top of each thread, right next to the page number navigation, there is a tiny First unread post link. It'd be super awesome if there was a way to set a global default to always jump directly to the first unread post when opening a thread.
+1, I use the 'first unread post' button all the time. It's really useful so at least making it bigger if not default as above would be great.

nmx

by nmx

Attachments upload maximum file size was now raised.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

nmx wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:18 pm
MayhemSWE wrote:
Unbenannt.PNG

This small tiny link is what you mean right?
Yes that is the one. I just figured out that the small document icon in front of each thread title (when viewing a list of topics) already does this, but I still think it'd be massively convenient if the default behavior would be to go to the first unread post.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

themidge wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:19 pm
It's one or two steps more to do, but have you tried a third party hosting site? They allow you to fully embed (not stick on the end) big high res. images. I find Flickr to be very good, but there are others.
That's what I've been doing since my post one, thanks for the advice anyway. External image hosting has various issues: (1) extra steps and (2) images go down along with the third party (remember the Photobucket incident last year?). I think at least one of these two issues has to be adressed, as I said earlier there are two options: make third party image hosting easier (a bit invovled, but absolutely possible; there's even a phpBB extension for that) or increase image upload limits (easy, but more traffic to WW servers and increased disc usage).
nmx wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:21 pm
Attachments upload maximum file size was now raised.
Nice, what's the new limit? Is it active yet? I still get the "The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 160 KiB" message.

nmx

by nmx

This attachment has 2MB. I just increased the limit in ACP so I guess it should work. Can you re-try?

If it still doesn't work as expected we might have to look in server configuration.
Attachments
1920x1200-data_wallpapers_9_707896.jpg
Unbenannt.PNG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com