New Gravelking coming March 1st

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

kokoon

by kokoon

a bit more hype on https://www.facebook.com/Panaracer/

And I just got delivered 3x 43mm SS in turquoise :roll:

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

That's a big range of tires. But some questions and questionable choices.

If the X1 is really their fastest rolling GK ever, then what is the point of the slick and semi-slick remaining? Wouldn't just the slick suffice?

50 only in the slow as shit SK pattern (which again seems superfluous with the new X1 and Extreme patterns available).

Will standard casing be slow with what sounds like a pretty heavy duty casing? The '+' versions of the old tires were really slow.

Will the R version have better puncture protection than the old standard casing? If not, unusable for me.

Anyway, please Panaracer do a 50mm X1 R.

Also need an X1 R 45 tested by BRR pronto.

kokoon

by kokoon

Everything's changed. No more 32mm option on any of the models?

R models are lighter, probably more similar to old ones. Plenty tough for me. But I'll have to pick between 30c and 35c for my road wheelset in the future and I don't feel like going even wider and heavier, but then also not narrower and harsher...

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Will look forward to the BRR tests. The old non plus Gravelkings were puncture magnets and had sketchy wet grip on tarmac, both things that Panaracer claim to have addressed.

warthog101

by warthog101

Had a great run out of std gravelkings. They handle the conditions where I am better than many other tyres I've tried.
Tufos are puncture magnets here. Very fragile.
I'll probably give them a try. Hope they seat a bit easier.

kokoon

by kokoon

So looking more into revamped slicks, with the 32c out, it seems that even 30c is heavier - also in R variant.

32c: 290g
30c: 320g
30c R: 300g

Most people currently running 32mm slicks will possibly gravitate more towards 35mm if frame clearance allows. That's even more weight penalty then (says weight TBA on the website).

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The X and the EXT look like versions of the AC tread pattern. Not sure why they need the SK now and the SS never made sense. I presume they didn't want to confuse their dealers by removing them. SK sucked for what it was supposed to be (the knobs were useless even compared to a Terra Speed or Allaround), so I look forward to seeing how the X does.

Also, aren't we over tan walls?

nickf

by nickf

X1 is up on Bicycle Rolling Resistance voting poll. Go vote!

kokoon

by kokoon

Yeah tan walls... R versions aren't even available in all black. I'm not a fan of this whole affair so far. If the X1 turn out to be performing spectacularly, they might redeem.

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

Looking forward to BRR results and actual ride impressions/experiences for the X1.

I've run SKs and they were...fine. Nothing really to write home about. Grip was questionable at times. Reputation about them being pebble slingers is absolutely true.

I've had bad luck with punctures on slick 35mm GKs set up tubeless.

RDY

by RDY

kokoon wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:58 pm
So looking more into revamped slicks, with the 32c out, it seems that even 30c is heavier - also in R variant.

32c: 290g
30c: 320g
30c R: 300g

Most people currently running 32mm slicks will possibly gravitate more towards 35mm if frame clearance allows. That's even more weight penalty then (says weight TBA on the website).
If R weight is up over normal last gen then it's a good thing IMO. May mean that they don't get shredded within 5 minutes of leaving the house. They were very light already.

themidge

by themidge

I'm glad they haven't discontinued the SKs as they're very popular, probably for good reason.

There's something about the handling of SKs (in 35 and 38) that I find very confidence inspiring. It might be the long side knobs helping grip in higher speed drifty corners, they just feel very predictable underneath me on most off-road surfaces. Would be interested to try the new treads to see how they compare, especially if they are significantly faster.

RDY

by RDY

I felt the SKs had no redeeming features whatsoever beside the colored versions. But that's within the market of the last 3 years. They launched ages ago and were better than anything else similar available at the time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kokoon

by kokoon

Anyone heard anything about the new gravelkings? Shipping should have begun already, yet no reviews to be found.