Specialized Crux vs Diverge

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

la85

by la85

Has anyone got much experience with riding both these bikes?

If so how much quicker do you think the Cruz is over say a 100km gravel race? Or vice versa? Geo/tire clearance etc is quite similar between the two. The diverge seems heavier however is a more allround bike with mount points, swat box and the future shock etc.

The diverge seems like the choice for a great allrounder... but how much slower would it be over a race if running similar gearing and tyres?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

In short: they do ride very, very differently. Better find a shop where you can take both for a spin,

Crux is light, agile, racy.

Diverge is stable, confident, endurant.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

On the same tires, with the same fit, they will be the same speed.

The Crux is going to ride rougher because of the shorter seat post. Tour Int - they they capture a meaningful number here - measured the Crux seatpost/frame at around 125n/mm (IIRC), which is straight up proper road bike territory. 800/431 (frame fork sworks 56) (std frame is quoted +100gr). 42t max chainring
https://www.tour-magazin.de/rennraeder/ ... s-im-test/

The Diverge they can't measure, but the rear would probably be in the 30-40 n/mm range (wild guess) and weighs 1652/452 (frame fork non-sworks 56). The Diverge can take 46t chainrings.

So the cost of the Diverge is a more upright fit, 1x only, & 800gr. The benefit is comfort, downtube box, 46t chainring, and traction on dicey spots. Aero is probably a wash - Crux has smaller tubes, but the Diverse can hide the flat kit in the downtube. Rolling resistance goes a long way even on a smooth unpaved road, even on the same tires, you'd roll faster on diverge. The Crux would do better as on road bike duty.

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

I also don't think any of the two is quicker at a race per se. All gravel races are having different surfaces and circumstances. Unbound was raced by the Spec. Team on the Diverge and Crux dependig on the rider. Hardcore athletes might be able to put up the the unfiltered ride of the Crux for 100 miles or more. Racing isn't my cup of tea, so I enjoy the directness. Also, it does double duty as a road bike pretty well.

My wife rides the Diverge and I am on the Crux. Both bikes filter/translate the roads ridden into a different experience. You might like one or the other more.

jackmurphy

by jackmurphy

jfranci3 wrote:On the same tires, with the same fit, they will be the same speed.

The Crux is going to ride rougher because of the shorter seat post. Tour Int - they they capture a meaningful number here - measured the Crux seatpost/frame at around 125n/mm (IIRC), which is straight up proper road bike territory. 800/431 (frame fork sworks 56) (std frame is quoted +100gr). 42t max chainring
https://www.tour-magazin.de/rennraeder/ ... s-im-test/

The Diverge they can't measure, but the rear would probably be in the 30-40 n/mm range (wild guess) and weighs 1652/452 (frame fork non-sworks 56). The Diverge can take 46t chainrings.

So the cost of the Diverge is a more upright fit, 1x only, & 800gr. The benefit is comfort, downtube box, 46t chainring, and traction on dicey spots. Aero is probably a wash - Crux has smaller tubes, but the Diverse can hide the flat kit in the downtube. Rolling resistance goes a long way even on a smooth unpaved road, even on the same tires, you'd roll faster on diverge. The Crux would do better as on road bike duty.
I have about 4k miles on the latest version of the diverge and have ridden the crux. To me the crux rear felt more compliant vs the diverge. This was with stock 38c pathfinders on the crux and 47c tracers in the diverge. Might be due to the chain stay design on the diverge.
Both are 2x capable, however, the crux only supports 2x with electronic groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CasualRider

by CasualRider

delete
Last edited by CasualRider on Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarmac SL8 Maganta Gold
Crux Green Pearl

Previous bikes:
Crux Forest Green
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Venge Bora Team
Venge Purple
Trek Madone SLR 7

CasualRider

by CasualRider

delete
Last edited by CasualRider on Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarmac SL8 Maganta Gold
Crux Green Pearl

Previous bikes:
Crux Forest Green
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Venge Bora Team
Venge Purple
Trek Madone SLR 7

CasualRider

by CasualRider

I own Crux and it's one of the most comfortable gravel bikes out there. Miles ahead of many like Pinarello Grevil, and Factor Ostro Gravel. I've had short experience on Diverge and it felt sluggish and big. Crux feels nimble and light.

I've done multiple gravel races including Unbound 200 miles, with no problems at all. Crux all the way for me. Put some light wheels on it with Pathfinders S-Works and you're good to go.
Tarmac SL8 Maganta Gold
Crux Green Pearl

Previous bikes:
Crux Forest Green
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Venge Bora Team
Venge Purple
Trek Madone SLR 7

stoney

by stoney

All the pro racers would choose the Crux over the new Diverge unless the Big S corp pays them to choose otherwise. Gosh the Crux is at least 2 pounds lighter...much faster going uphill.

la85

by la85

Thanks for all the comments!

ericlambi

by ericlambi

la85 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:33 pm

If so how much quicker do you think the Cruz is over say a 100km gravel race? Or vice versa? Geo/tire clearance etc is quite similar between the two. The diverge seems heavier however is a more allround bike with mount points, swat box and the future shock etc.

The diverge seems like the choice for a great allrounder... but how much slower would it be over a race if running similar gearing and tyres?

Thanks!
I think the answer to your question is not very much different if you get a similar fit. Depending on the course the suspension of the Diverge might be more of a benefit than the weight cost. Curious about your comment about 'similar geo' though . . . I have a Crux 49 that I like quite a lot, but have been wanting to get a Diverge [also] to take advantage of some of its features (the storage box and the suspension) for some bikepacking or more extreme rides/races. But I can't get over the stack on the Diverge . . . the 49 has a shorter reach, is super sloped for standover, and has a 4cm higher stack than the 49 crux. It's a weird looking and fitting bike. The 52 Diverge has the same reach as the 49 crux, is probably my closest fit bike, but the stack is almost 5cm higher. I haven't looked through the whole size range to see if this is a small person issue, but I just don't think these bikes actually do have similar geometry.

la85

by la85

ericlambi wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:41 pm
la85 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:33 pm

Thanks!
I think the answer to your question is not very much different if you get a similar fit. Depending on the course the suspension of the Diverge might be more of a benefit than the weight cost. Curious about your comment about 'similar geo' though . . . I have a Crux 49 that I like quite a lot, but have been wanting to get a Diverge [also] to take advantage of some of its features (the storage box and the suspension) for some bikepacking or more extreme rides/races. But I can't get over the stack on the Diverge . . . the 49 has a shorter reach, is super sloped for standover, and has a 4cm higher stack than the 49 crux. It's a weird looking and fitting bike. The 52 Diverge has the same reach as the 49 crux, is probably my closest fit bike, but the stack is almost 5cm higher. I haven't looked through the whole size range to see if this is a small person issue, but I just don't think these bikes actually do have similar geometry.
Is the stack measured from the head tube or future shock? The future shock adds approx 40mm in height from the headtube!

satanas

by satanas

IIRC the stack on the Diverge includes the FS, but it's worth trying to prise that info out of Specialized; I'd like to see a diagram...

ultimatist

by ultimatist

All depends on what you want to race. Diverge is more stable and damped at speed, the clear choice for Unbound. Boswell and others got aero with RR or other negative stack bars. Crux/Aethos is the winner for BWRs and similar. There is no such thing as "gravel race", rather a vast collection of surfaces and tradeoffs to be optimized for. Good luck!

BTW, did anyone find an answer on if Diverge stack includes FS or not?

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

Stack height is ath lowest point of the future shox. It would be at the base of the boot on the lowest cover.
I've been on a diverge for three years, just replaced it with a crux. I was shocked at how well the crux rides. It's over two pounds plus lighter. I would definitely race it at unbound, did unbound on an S works crux in 2017. This crux blows it away. Was a little worried about losing the future shox, after a few rides I don't miss it. This is my road bike as well. Doing double duty. I'm also in a more comfortable position, diverge I always felt a little off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com