2024 Canyon Grail

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

I could think having only 42mm clearance might simply be a marketing move. The Grizl has 50mm and ist marketed as the adventure bike. A new Grail likely needs to separate from that in some aspects as a selling point.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

smartyiak wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:48 pm
I dunno. 45 is better b/c: options. But, for me, I'd prolly not use anything wider than 42 anyways...Grizl says 50...but if I was using that, I'd prolly just hop on my mtb. With any luck, it will be like lots of bikes and will fit a bit wider than listed specs (maybe up to 45) in certain brands/models of tires.
Agreed, I only like to ride gravel fast at race speed so maximum tire size for me has been 42mm but usually 38-40mm is my choice and I live in Bentonville so we have sharp shale and deep crushed limestone and very thick and deep gravel section so it's sidewall duabilit that is most important. If I wanna just cruise for comfort I'd ride my MTB instead. Anytime I've ran larger volume tires like on gravel...45mm or MTB....2.8" I didn't like the ride feel as it seemed to muted and deadened. Different horses for courses but that's why I own an Aspero and it's a damn fine handling race bike on dirt.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

I can't imagine 42 WAM is true. In a lot of tires and rims that'd mean 38mm size max. And even if you're only going to race, on courses that don't need more, and on a max of 42s (assuming they fit) ... it's still not going to be enough. If you encounter sticky mud, that would end your race effectively, having so little clearance. You'd only be able to complete (maybe), not compete.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

RDY wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:55 pm
I can't imagine 42 WAM is true. In a lot of tires and rims that'd mean 38mm size max. And even if you're only going to race, on courses that don't need more, and on a max of 42s (assuming they fit) ... it's still not going to be enough. If you encounter sticky mud, that would end your race effectively, having so little clearance. You'd only be able to complete (maybe), not compete.
What tires and/or rims released in the last couple years inflate to recommended pressure at 10+% wider than stated size? Ever since the draft ETRTO tubeless "standards" were hinted at around 2019 most of the tire and rim manufacturers have gotten their act together and sizes are generally +/-2mm in size with a rim ID that's anywhere between 21-25mm suggested for gravel usage.

But totally agree on mud clearance, as everyone saw at Unbound. Unless there's a real reason (FD capability/clearance, chainstay size/shape/length, Aero) seems there's no reason for manufacturers to limit the tire clearance below 45mm WAM with industry standard 6mm clearance on the rear. That way if you're truly going to do a muddy race then run the aforementioned 38-40mm instead of the 45 and you have roughly 8-10mm of mud clearance which makes a big difference.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

This looked pretty close to production waaaaay back in mid-May, but radio-silence then. Anyone know any updates re: release date? (Been holding on the Grizl SLX8 to see what they come up with....maybe I should just buy it🤷🏻‍♂️).

NordicSal

by NordicSal

Kinda same. Got an Endurace now, kinda want a bike that can "truly" do it all - I can race the roads and slap on 40 mm tires for some gravel.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

NordicSal wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:01 pm
Kinda same. Got an Endurace now, kinda want a bike that can "truly" do it all - I can race the roads and slap on 40 mm tires for some gravel.
I just don't need anything bigger than 45 and the next time I go bike-packing will be: NEVER :D (so I suppose I'd just want the traditional bottle mounts and top tube mount...not opposed to downtube burrito holder either). So if it's "less capable" and a whole bunch lighter (or even a bit lighter) than a Grizl, then I'd definitely lean toward the new bike.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Jasper Ockeleon was riding the new gravel bike for a while, but in his latest insta posts, he's back on the grizl. Wonder why.
On the other hand, Schiff's still rocking the new bike and won the rift on it on the weekend.

ericlambi

by ericlambi

smartyiak wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:24 pm
not opposed to downtube burrito holder either
Do we have reason to believe the new grail will have that feature? It's a really nice option, and not too many bikes have it.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

ericlambi wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:54 pm
smartyiak wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:24 pm
not opposed to downtube burrito holder either
Do we have reason to believe the new grail will have that feature? It's a really nice option, and not too many bikes have it.
Nope...just wouldn't mind it. Wishing out loud I suppose.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

If you man the downtube storage I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of that on it

naitsabeS

by naitsabeS

The bike has now been removed from the Canyon "coming soon" page, so it's either really imminent or delayed.

jemima

by jemima

NordicSal wrote:

New Argon18 Krypton Pro. 40mm + burrito.
Curve Grovel ti.

jemima

by jemima

Curve Grovel ti.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

NordicSal wrote:
Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com