1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Moscone

by Moscone

Pyotrump wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:27 am
Moscone wrote:If this is new:
Ekar thumbshifter converting to Ultrashift (that u can shift more than 1 gear in a row with the thumb)
Wow.. this video shows me that all those multi shifting structure already exists but Campy blocked this with a thin metal bar..

Why Campy? Maybe for differentiation sales tactic with future super ekar?

Grouppo companies are getting uglier nowadays.

나의 SM-G977N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
i think also for "beginner" who are not firm with ergopower is it maybe a easier step to get in. I can see both sides and can say it makes sense! For me who is riding campa ergos quiet a while i can't imagine it otherwise... so i was searching for a solution, what was more easy than i thought...
Now we can all be happy + if people can't shift accurate, they can put a 2mm steel pin back in. So nobody loses.
Iam still working on more campa hacks, also converting it to rimbrake in a open source way.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Moscone wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:08 pm
Pyotrump wrote:
Ekar thumbshifter converting to Ultrashift (that u can shift more than 1 gear in a row with the thumb)
Wow.. this video shows me that all those multi shifting structure already exists but Campy blocked this with a thin metal bar..

i think also for "beginner" who are not firm with ergopower is it maybe a easier step to get in. I can see both sides and can say it makes sense! For me who is riding campa ergos quiet a while i can't imagine it otherwise... so i was searching for a solution, what was more easy than i thought...
Now we can all be happy + if people can't shift accurate, they can put a 2mm steel pin back in. So nobody loses.
Iam still working on more campa hacks, also converting it to rimbrake in a open source way.
Not new. It's been part of the mechanism since day 1.
They used a similar system in the early days of the post 2015 LH shifter to produce the 2 stage front shift - now, the "bar" is moulded into the lever body and the clutch is different.

In Ekar, test riding showed that on "US / UK" style gravel where it's often much rougher - bordering on MTB style riding, it was too easy to multishift by accident.

Dumping multiple sprockets on the 13s cassette and chain is also really tough on the chain and on the RD. It's not like moving 5 or 6 teeth across three or four sprockets, as it is typically on a road cassette. The increase in tooth number change per sprocket makes a big difference. Try downshifting across 3 sprockets under high torque, and you will see what I mean.

I've generally found it's easy enough just to do 2 or 3 rapid shifts if I want to move 2 or 3 sprockets - I actually do that quite a lot on EPS as well - it allows you to shift accurately the number of sprockets you want, either when you are tired, for instance, or under stress, or the bike is vibrating /moving a lot under you - pave etc ...

Sure you can do this mod if you want - voids warranty and if you break a RD or a chain, or a tooth on a cassette, it won't be Campagnolo's fault ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Moscone

by Moscone

graeme_f_k wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:09 pm
Moscone wrote:
Pyotrump wrote:

They used a similar system in the early days of the post 2015 LH shifter to produce the 2 stage front shift - now, the "bar" is moulded into the lever body and the clutch is different.

In Ekar, test riding showed that on "US / UK" style gravel where it's often much rougher - bordering on MTB style riding, it was too easy to multishift by accident.

Dumping multiple sprockets on the 13s cassette and chain is also really tough on the chain and on the RD. It's not like moving 5 or 6 teeth across three or four sprockets, as it is typically on a road cassette. The increase in tooth number change per sprocket makes a big difference. Try downshifting across 3 sprockets under high torque, and you will see what I mean.

I've generally found it's easy enough just to do 2 or 3 rapid shifts if I want to move 2 or 3 sprockets - I actually do that quite a lot on EPS as well - it allows you to shift accurately the number of sprockets you want, either when you are tired, for instance, or under stress, or the bike is vibrating /moving a lot under you - pave etc ...

Sure you can do this mod if you want - voids warranty and if you break a RD or a chain, or a tooth on a cassette, it won't be Campagnolo's fault ...
No Warranty? do i care? - i also write this in this video description....

Under high torque shifiting.... i do ride my Gevenalle 11-42 a lot and there u can go from 1 to 11 in one click. Never had a problem.

Like i said, its a absolutly must have for me and to these guys i'll taked till now, everybody said "the one click on ekar sucks"

if u like it or not, a lot of people wanted it....

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

Actually, for the beginner, they should limit the upshifts to a single shift to start.

But maybe allow some pin that could be pulled out that will allow multi-shifts.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Moscone wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:33 pm
graeme_f_k wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:09 pm
Moscone wrote:
Pyotrump wrote:

No Warranty? do i care? - i also write this in this video description....

Under high torque shifiting.... i do ride my Gevenalle 11-42 a lot and there u can go from 1 to 11 in one click. Never had a problem.

Like i said, its a absolutly must have for me and to these guys i'll taked till now, everybody said "the one click on ekar sucks"

if u like it or not, a lot of people wanted it....
It's not a question of "like".
It's a question of the damage that you, or others, may end up doing to the chain and / or cassette, rear derailleur.

We cannot have a situation where that damage is seen as Campagnolo's fault.

No factory testing was done to check this mod on every frame the system was designed for ... that testing may be done in the future but for now, that is the reason that Campagnolo say "no". Enough testing was done (by me and others) to know that there are too many cases where damage to the RD can result. The types of damage we saw could also result in chain damage and in theory, also in chain breakage.

You may not care about warranty but Campagnolo do. They also care about liability.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

AC0

by AC0

I found an aftermarket Ekar compatible chainring on AliExpress. The brand is Stone. Purchased from the "JAVA GIANT FOURIERS TSUNAMI BIKE Store"

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005853293807.html

Measured @ 54g for 38 teeth.

1. C13 chain fits the Stone ring.
2. Ekar ring is 4mm thick, Stone is 4.05mm. Teeth are centered on both.
3. Ekar ring has a raised section on the outside face at each bolt hole, Stone does not.
4. Ekar ring is 4.85mm thick at the bolt hole, Stone is 4.05mm. Stone Chainline will be .8mm outboard.
5. Ekar ring has a pin to prevent a dropped chain from falling between the ring and crankarm. Stone does not.
6. Stone teeth are asymmetric with a small cutout on the front of each tooth.
7. Stone teeth are different heights, the narrow tooth is ~1mm shorter than the wide tooth.
8. Ekar teeth are all the same height.

The Stone chainring mounted without any issues and everything works in the stand.

Have not tried it in the mud.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

Riding today in mud and muck, I came away really impressed by EKAR. It has been close to 2 years and it has been pretty much flawless. Even with all the mud, shifts were perfect and braking was spot on, with great control. Everything was perfect. I would never want to test that with some parts for Ali-express.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

AC0

by AC0

I have also been pretty happy with Ekar shifting in sloppy conditions, but I have found that in gritty/sandy mud the chain can skip and come off at the front as the mud doesn't get cleared and the chain doesn't get full engagement. The design of the Stone teeth is similar to SRAM X-Sync which is supposed to help deal with these types of conditions.
Vespasianus wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:12 pm
Riding today in mud and muck, I came away really impressed by EKAR. It has been close to 2 years and it has been pretty much flawless. Even with all the mud, shifts were perfect and braking was spot on, with great control. Everything was perfect. I would never want to test that with some parts for Ali-express.

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

Is anyone using Ekar for Cyclocross?

Stefano

by Stefano

Apologies if this has been covered already- I've been having issues with hand numbness on my Ekar bike. There are these lumps where the shift lever transitions to the handlebar, regardless of how I tape it or set up the shifters in the drops (up/down, angle, etc). The bump is right where the top of the lever transitions into the handlebar.

I've been playing with adding chunks of tape to the gap, changing bar angle, etc. but can't seem to get rid of the bump and the associated hand numbness. I think it has to do with the fact that anything I put in the gap is compressible so the back edge of the shifter pokes through once you put any pressure on the area.

Anybody else experience this and anything that can be done to smooth this out?

FredV

by FredV

Moscone wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:12 pm
If this is new:
Thanks, you made my day ! From my Campy Reccord 10s memory, Ultrashift was something that I was definitely missing on my Ekar.

Miller

by Miller

I've been using Ekar for a year, road and gravel, love it. I'm a long-time Campag user and honestly, I couldn't care less about ultrashift, it's a much over-rated feature. If you want to move down the block rapidly, it's trivial to do multiple fast clicks.

Not completely sold on the C-shape thumb lever though, I'd have preferred the lower profile droopy EPS type.

Romb1k

by Romb1k

Moscone wrote:
Pyotrump wrote:

Is it possible to put this pin back?

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

kgbianchi wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:23 am
Ryan Kamp since the beginning of 2024. On a Colnago.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Romb1k

by Romb1k

Sjoerd wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:37 pm
kgbianchi wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:23 am
Ryan Kamp since the beginning of 2024. On a Colnago.
According to his instagram he rides Super Record