Tubular options

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Packs

by Packs

Does anyone know of any 35-40mm tubular tyres (700C) for 60/40 use? They'd be fitted to XTR M9000 wheels so about a 21mm internal width.

Looks like my only option for this is to get a new set of tubeless wheels - any recommendations on something similar to above. Seems to be a few M9020s being sold off by they're not exactly light and would prefer hand built. Has anyone used Light Bicycle rims?

(note: I've got some 650b tubeless for going gnarly with 47mm+)

Thanks in advance!

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

To my knowledge, no one is making off the shelf tubulars in that size. I know Vittoria, Challenge and Donelly/Clement don't, although I think Vittoria talked about making some (but nothing is showing up in a quick search). If you need tires in that size, I would definitely go tubeless, as your tire choice will be plentiful from various manufacturers.

I don't have any experience with Light Bicycle, but I haven't really heard any complaints about their products here on the board. I'm pretty sure that if they made an inferior product, we'd hear about it pretty quickly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Priit

by Priit

Dugast makes 36 and 38 mm tubulars.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Interesting. A 36 or 38 would pair well with a set of MTB tubular wheels I built up two years ago. DT 240s on 30mm wide, 30mm deep, 360g carbon tubular LB rims with CX-Rays.

I was planning on selling them at a pretty big loss, but maybe I can find a use for them now.

What treads does Dugast offer?

Alternately, Packs, if you make me a reasonable offer, they're yours. They have one ride on them. The front wheel weighs 640g, the rear has a tire on it, so no wheel-only weight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by LeDuke on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I wasn't aware of Dugast making these. Here's their website. 4 different treads to choose from.

https://www.a-dugast.com/shop-en-c

Packs

by Packs

Great thanks - I like the "Ori" tubeless tubular option - never heard of that before!

Cheers for the offer Duke, but any new purchase will be tubeless.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Packs wrote:Great thanks - I like the "Ori" tubeless tubular option - never heard of that before!

Cheers for the offer Duke, but any new purchase will be tubeless.
Wait.

Are you looking for tubeless or tubular wheels AND tires? Your OP is a little confusing.

Packs

by Packs

To clarify, 35-40mm tubular tyres to fit my existing wheels. Appears Dugast do a tubeless tubular now too.

There's already a huge range of that size in tubeless which is my back up option (and get new tubeless wheels).

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Packs wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:28 pm
Great thanks - I like the "Ori" tubeless tubular option - never heard of that before!
Clement/Donnelly are tubeless tubulars, but they don't go wider than a 33.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have stopped using my ori tyres. They punctured far too easily. One ride upto thetford forest they punctured on the way there had to ride with two flats for the last ten miles. bought more sealant and used it but the tyres flatted again and had 30 miles on a double flat on the ride home. not a fun day out I can assure you. I flatted nearly every ride using them when the ground was anything but bone dry. When they stayed up they were hands down the nicest and fasted tyres I ever ridden on and that lasted a few rides.

Got some racing ralphs now to try out.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

bm0p700f wrote:I have stopped using my ori tyres. They punctured far too easily. One ride upto thetford forest they punctured on the way there had to ride with two flats for the last ten miles. bought more sealant and used it but the tyres flatted again and had 30 miles on a double flat on the ride home. not a fun day out I can assure you. I flatted nearly every ride using them when the ground was anything but bone dry. When they stayed up they were hands down the nicest and fasted tyres I ever ridden on and that lasted a few rides.

Got some racing ralphs now to try out.
Well shoot. That doesn't inspire much confidence, and makes me hesitant to keep my tubular wheels.

I wish Tufo would make a 2.3 tire in a decent pattern. My XC4s are great on hero dirt but have to be run at a pretty low pressure to grip well. Square edged rocks got pretty hairy as a result. More volume would be a good thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com