canti vs disc

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Guys winning my league and placed better than me are on canti's. As for the pros, they will ride what they are paid to ride. IF I lived in a really muddy part of the world, or somewhere with lots of very technical courses I would say go with discs but for the vast majority of parkland CX courses they are a luxury and will make little or no difference to your results. What might make a difference is a set of tub wheels or even a spare bike with enlisted help in the pits.

So depending on your money -

1) a CX bike
2) a set of tubs
3) a spare bike
4) another set of tubs for spare bike
5) Get a coach and lose some weight
6) anything else including frame material and what brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Did someone mention brake fade, disc brakes and cyclocross in the same sentence?

That's absolutely laughable. Come on.

stormur

by stormur

It depends how one rides his bike and where. then is not laughable at all. Just use your imagination.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

euan

by euan

In a wet, muddy race where the mud is composed of sand or gritty earth, on a course with a lot of braking and especially controlled downhill sections, rider will go through a set of pads.

And then there is Three Peaks CX where a wet race means some riders will carry spare pads.

Where the canti rider will keep on going.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

stormur wrote:It depends how one rides his bike and where. then is not laughable at all. Just use your imagination.
I'm a pro MTB racer, at least according to the UCI. A shitty one, yeah, but I'm not terrible at getting up or down the hill.

I live at 7,000ft, regularly ride up to 9,000ft from my front door, and back down again. On vacation I'll hit 5,000ft of continuous descending. Even on long road descents where I'm really pushing hard, I very rarely have brake fade. Sorry, I have a hard time believing that someone could possibly have brake fade on a descent with 50ft of vertical loss when I don't get it on something 40-100x bigger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

euan wrote:In a wet, muddy race where the mud is composed of sand or gritty earth, on a course with a lot of braking and especially controlled downhill sections, rider will go through a set of pads.

And then there is Three Peaks CX where a wet race means some riders will carry spare pads.

Where the canti rider will keep on going.

The Three Peaks is a rather unique event and is not really your standard round a park CX race.

mattr

by mattr

FWIW the last time i was support for Three peaks i had to swap my mates canti pads at the bottom of the second descent........ (this was ~20 years ago, so no disc CX bikes!)

mattr

by mattr

stormur wrote:It depends how one rides his bike and where. then is not laughable at all. Just use your imagination.
There is no part of the imagination that can get a CX bike, riding a CX race to have fading brakes.

stormur

by stormur

Lets help your imagination ;)

If someone use CX bike also as a road bike.... got it ?
Mark Twain

mattr

by mattr

So not racing CX then?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

mattr wrote:So not racing CX then?

And shitty braking technique to boot.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

I'm getting a new CX bike in the near future and going with discs

stormur

by stormur

does it prove anything ? ;)
Mark Twain

euan

by euan

mattr wrote:FWIW the last time i was support for Three peaks i had to swap my mates canti pads at the bottom of the second descent........ (this was ~20 years ago, so no disc CX bikes!)

I put on pair of Swissstop Blues at the start of a season, did Three Peaks, then did another two seasons on the pads :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

jmaccyd wrote:The Three Peaks is a rather unique event and is not really your standard round a park CX race.

Yes. But I can name at least two courses where single bike users in a wet race have no braking after a hour of racing. They are all on disc brakes. Not all courses are in the fields around a leisure centre