Rim brake gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

MikeD

by MikeD

How come there are practically none except some heavy steel ones or Chinese open mold? I want a light gravel bike and am being stymied by the lack of choice in the marketplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Not a lot of demand for it. You can still order cantiliver brakes if you go custom. I've seen a few people go that route, but the vast majority are going disc on gravel. Pretty sure there was a pro who still prefers cantilivers on his CX bike; Something about he was more comfortable with support and maintenance when he traveled, but I can't recall the rider's name.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AndreLM

by AndreLM

http://www.sevencycles.com/blog/?p=5930

For Gravel I think disk brakes make more sense, but for a versatile travel bike, it would be perfect. Probably can take most of the 32-33 gravel tires...

Marin

by Marin

Here's mine, had to design it myself :)

jfranci3

by jfranci3

It's mostly because gravel bikes want to have a narrow and wide wheel option and wet weather performance. Also, steel bikes always are the first to serve niches. If you look for medium/long-reach brakes, you'll probably find what you're looking for. I'd find specific calipers like Tektro R539 and shimanos br-650s and work backwards.

fa63

by fa63

I have one; uses real long reach brakes (TRP R559) and clears 40 mm tires. Not sure they make them anymore though (Motobecane Century Team Ti).

jemima

by jemima

If you're happy going secondhand then there's lots of options out there, limited somewhat depending on how wide a tire you want to run.

Starting out, I'm thinking old carbon cyclocross frames/bikes, for the weight.

Trigon (Taiwan) is still doing new frames.
Curve Grovel ti.

Marin

by Marin

I'm building a new rim brake do-it-all bike. I'm planning to run anything from 22mm up to 47mm 650b tires :)

Will mostly be on 30s, but I'll switch wheelsets depending on events. Pics to follow next week.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

I have a Redline Conquest with cantis that works great...
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

nickf

by nickf

Trek still has canti cx frames. I have a vbrake equipped aluminium Crockett. 38c tires fit fine and is plenty of rubber for all the events I have done and sometimes to much tire. 40s fit but the rear end is close to the chainstays. Anything bigger needed ill bring the mountain bike. Lighter overall build then even high end carbon disc bikes. I see no need or use for disc. Plenty of stopping power under all conditions with my trp vbrakes.

RussellS

by RussellS

As mentioned by several other posts, cyclocross bikes use cantilever brakes. Cantilever brakes are rim brakes. Not caliper brakes, but they still brake on the rim. I'm not too up to date with all the new marketing words being thrown about by all the faker scammers. But I bet "gravel bike" is the exact same thing as cyclocross bike.

MikeD

by MikeD

RussellS wrote:As mentioned by several other posts, cyclocross bikes use cantilever brakes. Cantilever brakes are rim brakes. Not caliper brakes, but they still brake on the rim. I'm not too up to date with all the new marketing words being thrown about by all the faker scammers. But I bet "gravel bike" is the exact same thing as cyclocross bike.

No, there are other significant differences but the big problem is cyclocross bikes have a max width tire of 38 mm. I want a bike that fits 45's and has no toe overlap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Marin

by Marin

Well my Heretic will hopefully do 47s, and won't have toe overlap for my feet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thumper88

by thumper88

The main reason might well be how much you have to use the brakes... I have first rate cantis on a Crux..., shorty ultimates, that I swapped in two races ago after a couple of long -- like, 3 and 6 miles -- descents on rocky trails.
The stock brakes just were too hard to modulate and had not enough power for so much braking.
Then two weeks ago did another, similar race, with in one case 6-7 miles of that looked like street bed for a descent, and was riding brakes the whole way... took enough effort that hands and one shoulder were cramping up.
Now have a disc frame, scraping together the parts. Its def. the way to go, at least for east coast, mountainous gravel routes, can't speak to midwest.