Cross Mechanical Disk on full carbon setup. Recomendations for Lightest Brakes?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

kgbianchi wrote:Is anyone using cable actuated Hydros/or mechanical brakes with Campagnolo Shift brake levers? I am wondering how the lever pull would affect function with the different options presented.

I have been using the juin tech with campy SR for over a year, they work awesome.

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

mvacolnago wrote:
kgbianchi wrote:Is anyone using cable actuated Hydros/or mechanical brakes with Campagnolo Shift brake levers? I am wondering how the lever pull would affect function with the different options presented.

I have been using the juin tech with campy SR for over a year, they work awesome.

That prestige is a beauty! Do you race it in Cyclocross?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

Anyone with Campagnolo and Hy/Rd's do this? https://youtu.be/8aBa3sGUUhs

ms6073

by ms6073

kgbianchi wrote:That prestige is a beauty! Do you race it in Cyclocross?

No way that bike has been raced, all the white stuff is way to white. :D
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

stormur

by stormur

Campagnolo levers has same brake cable pull as Sram. There's no any issue with "common" mechanical brakes. I used Campy levers ( before I switched to Sram ) with BB7 road and Trp Spyre. Zero problems.

Being on your place I would consider again ( and again ... ) Campy levers + CX + racing. Very pricey solution. Every "touch down" will cost you new lever (set if powershift or 2015+ levers ). To not mention that thumb shifetr is not most comfy & ergo solution for cross.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

joejack951

by joejack951

kgbianchi wrote:Anyone with Campagnolo and Hy/Rd's do this? https://youtu.be/8aBa3sGUUhs

I briefly considered it but couldn't stand the thought of crushing my brake cable due to the lack of a groove for it.

joejack951

by joejack951

stormur wrote:Campagnolo levers has same brake cable pull as Sram. There's no any issue with "common" mechanical brakes. I used Campy levers ( before I switched to Sram ) with BB7 road and Trp Spyre. Zero problems.

Brake cable pulls on Shimano and SRAM have recently changed to a longer pull (lever rotates about a 36mm radius versus 24mm for Campy and similar for older Shimano and SRAM). If you were using older SRAM levers perhaps that why you didn't notice any difference.

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

joejack951 wrote:
kgbianchi wrote:Anyone with Campagnolo and Hy/Rd's do this? https://youtu.be/8aBa3sGUUhs

I briefly considered it but couldn't stand the thought of crushing my brake cable due to the lack of a groove for it.

Assuming you are using Campy Shift/brake levers. What are you using?

stormur

by stormur

joejack951 wrote:
stormur wrote:Campagnolo levers has same brake cable pull as Sram. There's no any issue with "common" mechanical brakes. I used Campy levers ( before I switched to Sram ) with BB7 road and Trp Spyre. Zero problems.

Brake cable pulls on Shimano and SRAM have recently changed to a longer pull (lever rotates about a 36mm radius versus 24mm for Campy and similar for older Shimano and SRAM). If you were using older SRAM levers perhaps that why you didn't notice any difference.

Are you absolutely sure that 2015 Sram and 2015 Campagnolo levers do not have same brake cable pull ratio, and that this ratio differs from Shimano 5800/6800/9000(9100) ? But you know, ABSOLUTELY sure ?
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

joejack951

by joejack951

kgbianchi wrote:Assuming you are using Campy Shift/brake levers. What are you using?

Chorus 11 and TRP HY/RD's.

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

joejack951 wrote:
kgbianchi wrote:Assuming you are using Campy Shift/brake levers. What are you using?

Did you need to do anything special for the setup? Are you satisfied with the results? Do you Race CX with this setup?

joejack951

by joejack951

stormur wrote:Are you absolutely sure that 2015 Sram and 2015 Campagnolo levers do not have same brake cable pull ratio, and that this ratio differs from Shimano 5800/6800/9000(9100) ? But you know, ABSOLUTELY sure ?

No, I'm not certain. I do not know much about SRAM levers as I have never had any in my hands to take measurements from. I do know that the pivot radius for current Campy and current Shimano is vastly different (24mm vs. 36mm, measured on Chorus 11 and 105 5800 levers). From what I can gather, current SRAM is somewhere in between but likely closer to current Shimano than Campy. I know nothing about older SRAM.

Some commentary on the current SRAM and Shimano brake cable pull: http://www.velonews.com/2016/02/bikes-a ... 512_394512
A bunch of cable pull measurement data: http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mecha ... atios.html

Miller

by Miller

kgbianchi wrote:
joejack951 wrote:

Did you need to do anything special for the setup? Are you satisfied with the results? Do you Race CX with this setup?

I've been running Campag ergo levers with TRP HY/RDs for a few years. Some observations:
- use of compressionless cable, even though it's awkward stiff stuff, is a must for good performance
- the stock pads were crap, replacements have been better
- if cable pull is giving you hassle and you wish you had more, then undo the Ergo QR button, clamp the inner wire at caliper end, then redo the ergo QR button. This takes up some initial travel and is very effective. (Yes I know TRP advise against not letting the pistons completely release but I've never found any evidence that this is a real problem and if you're concerned, undo the Ergo QR button when you're not using the bike.)

I don't do CX races but I've done a few gravel events now. The Ergo thumb tab is just fine in use and in fact the hood shape, when you ride with hands on the hoods, provides good hand retention when riding over very rough ground.

joejack951

by joejack951

kgbianchi wrote:
joejack951 wrote:

Perhaps I confused you by responding how I did. I'm the guy who made the special arms for the HY/RD calipers to get them to work better with Campy levers. Haven't even used them yet, though. Perhaps one of the guys who claimed a set has received them and had a chance to try them out.

I did start gluing up my tires today after finally finishing my wheels so hopefully a first ride is coming soon.

bmCube

by bmCube

I have Trp spyre slc flat mount on my road bike. I think they weigh 146 gram/ caliper. i use them with sram etap and good compressionless cables and have to say: I love them!!! I also have the red hydro on my cx bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com