Best canti with Shimano shifters

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

What are the best canti that work with Shimano levers ? Do the Avid Shorty Ultimate work as good as when paired with SRAM shifters ? If not, what else should I look at ?
Thanks !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

I use Avid Shorty 6 cantilever brakes with my Shimano 105 10 speed STI levers. Work fine.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Thanks for the answers... I'll google a bit those products.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

TRP CX 8.4 if you want a mini V. They work awesome with Shimano levers.

Or the TRP RevoX.

Avid Ultimate are good too.

Paul's Neo Retro.

Even the inexpensive CR720 tektro are nice.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

I currently have CX 8.4 (with SRAM levers). Had tektro (I think they were cr720) in the past, not as powerful as the CX8.4 but I did like the feeling at the lever (maybe I should play more with them. I find the CX8.4 very ON/OFF, but I couuld try different brake pads.

headwind816

by headwind816

Shimano's own cx70 brakes

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Since I had a pair of Tektro 720's in stock, I decided to install them and try them out again. read a bit of instruction online (still can't guarantee I did Ok installing them). Straddle cable as lowish as possible. I'm impress so far on my short commute. I'll have to test them in trails and actual CX racing/practice. I much prefer the feel at the lever.

I was going to order some TRP RevoX, but now I'm not sure...

jcrr

by jcrr

+1 on Mini Vs.

I use SRAM, and IMHO, I was never able to get a set of cantis to provide the reliability and power of TRP CX8.4s. Granted, this may have to do with my skills (or lack thereof) in setting up cantis, but I digress. I also learned on this forum, that for mini v's, it's all about the correct pad-wheel combo.

I bring all this up is b/c, if you are interested in mini v's, my research on the interwebs and with buddies was that CX9.0s are for use with Shimano, while CX8.4s are for SRAM. The difference being amount of cable pull for each lever.

Best of luck.

JC
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

Marin

by Marin

TRP Mini-Vs, better than discs for me :)

chayanat

by chayanat

paul mini moto very easy to setup and great modulation too! :thumbup:

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

I'm selling my almost new TRP 8.4. I prefer the feel of the canti's with salmon pads so far (maybe I should have given a chance to the Vbrakes with the salmon pads). I'll test in single trails today or tomorrow (come on sun !).

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Well im really impress with the Tektro cr720. I had them in my parts box for 2 years... I guess a better installation and koolstop pads really helped. I tested Shimano's hydro yesterday... I guess I would get used to them and probably find them awesome but I was happy when I went back on my bike with cantis. The hydro shifters also seem to add 1cm of reach.

addictR1

by addictR1

Juanmoretime wrote:Avid Ultimate's with Sram levels! :thumbup:

I'm running the Avid ultimate shorty with SRAM Red shifters on my redline conquest team. But I'm have a hella hard time adjusting the shorty in narrow stance and keeping it center without one side rubbing. [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBV

by JBV

jcrr wrote:+1 on Mini Vs.

I use SRAM, and IMHO, I was never able to get a set of cantis to provide the reliability and power of TRP CX8.4s. Granted, this may have to do with my skills (or lack thereof) in setting up cantis, but I digress. I also learned on this forum, that for mini v's, it's all about the correct pad-wheel combo.

I bring all this up is b/c, if you are interested in mini v's, my research on the interwebs and with buddies was that CX9.0s are for use with Shimano, while CX8.4s are for SRAM. The difference being amount of cable pull for each lever.

Best of luck.

JC

Not only is this true, but I have tried both CX8.4's and CX9's with Shimano levers (6700), and the 9's are just plain better with those levers. Less on/off feel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com